Warner Archive Discussion Thread (FEEDBACK)

ColbyCo82

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
Steven
Robert Crawford said:
I think that title will be back on the site anyway.
Wasnt Gary Cooper supposed to get another boxset from WB that had Today We Live (1933) in it? Maybe I dreamed that.

John Hodson

Producer
Reaction score
Website
filmjournal.net
Real Name
John
DeWilson said:
I really believe the target for these are not "blind buys" or spontaneity, but to meet the collections of the classic movie fan - Think of this as TCM ala Carte
Right now I think of it as overpriced, overhyped and over there...

DanMel

Second Unit
Reaction score
ColbyCo82 said:
Wasnt Gary Cooper supposed to get another boxset from WB that had Today We Live (1933) in it? Maybe I dreamed that.
It was in the early stages but like other titles never made it out of those early stages. The same case might be said for the unreleased Abbott and Costello movies.
Pretty much our only hope is to get WB to release prestine copies of these movies on dvd-r that is a great deal better than the bootleg stuff out there. WB started this trend with the announcement of Bright Leaf but for some unknown reason took it off of the list with no notification as to why pissing off all the die hard Gary Cooper fans like myself.

Billy Batson

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Alan
I think the DVD-R bit is deliberate. They can do regular releases of the best sellers, & people who have bought the DVD-R will want to buy the pressed disc.

DanMel

Second Unit
Reaction score
Billy Batson said:
I think the DVD-R bit is deliberate. They can do regular releases of the best sellers, & people who have bought the DVD-R will want to buy the pressed disc.
Sorry to disagree but movies like Bright Leaf never made even to VHS and I highly doubt that many of these titles will ever make it to pressed dvd.

frankBiondo

Extra
Reaction score
I think it is great to make the library available.but lets hopes they offer some as double features especially on some of the B's that run about an hour. Also some of the titles could have be placed in Box set for example Clark Gable.etc thus more bang for the buck than the $19.95 plus tax for a single title.

JohnMor

Producer
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
John Moreland
This is a terrific idea.
For a luxury item like a dvd, and especially one of a beloved film which may not be popular enough to warrant a full-scale release, I think these are a great idea and not at all overpriced. As with anything that's a luxury, if it costs more than I'm willing to pay, I'll go without. For people who really want a film, it's not an exorbitant price. Especially, as Denny pointed out, that you are paying for the service a well as the film.
I'm glad to hear that the international shipping problem will be resolved soon.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
frankBiondo said:
Also some of the titles could [...] be placed in Box set for example Clark Gable.etc thus more bang for the buck than the $19.95 plus tax for a single title.
That's a really good idea!! Throw a few box sets together for a discounted price!!
They got my money for this month, and I can't wait to see what they announce on April 1 !!

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
JohnMor said:
For ... a beloved film which may not be popular enough to warrant a full-scale release, I think these are a great idea and not at all overpriced. As with anything that's a luxury, if it costs more than I'm willing to pay, I'll go without. For people who really want a film, it's not an exorbitant price.
Well said, John.
I ordered two films I've been waiting to be released for a while (Abe Lincoln in Illinois and Too Hot to Handle). Those were worth 20 bucks each to me. I'm interested in some of the others (Adventures of Mark Twain, Doc Savage, a couple others) but not at 20 bucks a pop.

MarcoBiscotti

Producer
Reaction score
Jay E said:
If Warner would lower their prices they could have people (like me), buying more of their titles and spending more money due to
A) - the more affordable cost
B) - not being as worried if the title does go retail one day with bonus features. At $20 a pop, I am much more worried about this than I would at $10 a pop.
C) - taking a chance on buying a title that I haven't seen. At $20, I am taking no chances!!
Thank you!

MarcoBiscotti

Producer
Reaction score
GlennH said:
Warners could easily assuage these fears by adopting a consumer-friendly policy that would garner them lots of goodwill and prevent many from holding off on some titles now:
Owners of any Warner Archive DVD-R release should be given the option to exchange it if there is a subsequent "normal" DVD release later. This should be free of charge (except perhaps postage).
Purchasers will be paying a premium price to get these movies on DVD-R. Warners should profit well from each purchase. That should merit the consumer the privilege of acquiring the DVD version later.
Thank you again!

MarcoBiscotti

Producer
Reaction score
ChrisPearson said:
I'm finding the reaction of some to the suggestion that these discs might be overpriced rather hard to understand.
We have grown used to Warner releasing boxed sets of classics at SRPs working out as $10 per disc (such as the past two Gangsters collections, which had SRPs of $60 and contained six discs). Online retailers would typically knock off 20% on initial release and as much as 50% in sales further down the line. Most of these DVDs had extensive extras, such as Warner Night at the Movies.
Now Warner is expecting consumers to pay $20 per disc for bare bones releases with no hope of a reduction (as Warner is the only company selling them). They might be reissued to retail at some point, possibly with extras, in which case you can shell out all over again.
I can understand people's excitement at getting some of their favourite films on DVD, and appreciate that these are among Warner's more obscure titles. But to go from paying $10 or less for a loaded DVD to paying twice that or more for bare bones -- in a recession no less -- is a bit rich. Isn't it reasonable for some of us to feel somewhat locked out?
My last post for the night as I don't want to flood the thread but I agree with all of the above... the studio should be offering us better incentive to spend excessive amounts of money on these films when what they are essentially offering is the same thing that many of us who subscribe to TCM and own DVD recorder or services such as Tivo, already have access to.
Why aren't all of the Gable or Grant films packaged as a "collection" at discounted price for instance? Why should anyone spend hundreds of dollars on what would normally cost them a third of the price with any other studio release in this instance?
This just makes no sense and the frustration displayed by many on HTF (who I might add, are not necessarily against the "burn on demand" concept and may otherwise even be proponents of such a program ) is perfectly reasonable in context.

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Karine Philippot
DanMel said:
With the Gary Cooper movie Bright Leaf being taken off the list after it was included with all the other movies on the first day kickoff, I've decided to post the link to the ask WB a question over at my Gary Cooper tcm thread to get Gary Cooper fans to write in and show their support for putting Bright Leaf back on the list of movies. Hopefully this will help get the movie back up on the list of movies to order soon.
The 5 movies that were suddenly added early Sunday afternoon (the 4 early Hepburns and Bright Leaf) have been removed. So we are back with exactly 150 films. I bet you they will be in the next bunch though.
I noticed when they first appeared that the covers of these 5 particular films did not match the style/background color of the others.

JohnMor

Producer
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
John Moreland
MarcoBiscotti said:
the studio should be offering us better incentive to spend excessive amounts of money on these films when what they are essentially offering is the same thing that many of us who subscribe to TCM and own DVD recorder or services such as Tivo, already have access to.
Except that is not what this is. We were told in the chat that this process is not at all the same as burning the dvd ourselves at home, and yields a much higher quality. From the chat: "The discs are of the highest quality. They are manufactured via propriatary MOD process which is very different from home-used DVDRs on one's computer....we guarantee the quality of these discs and will stand by them." Not to mention the lack of a cable channel bug in the corner. It's hardly comparable to buying a home burned disc off ebay of a rare film. (And frankly, when people do that, they usually spend more than $20 for it!)
And anyone who thinks $20 is excessive doesn't need to buy it and can make do with the home burned dvd-r from TCM. If they really think it's the same, then why even bother with this program.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Reaction score
MarcoBiscotti said:
I'm still uncertain of how they reached this price point... there is less/no risk involved in distributing their films this way as they are not pressing media for retail with the hopes of recouping costs but on a made-to-purchase basis. They are spending little to no money whatsoever on packaging and artwork, nor supplemental features. The media itself is cheaper to reproduce as is the effort involved in all regards. Yet the studio is asking well in excess of ANY single catalog release that should warrant otherwise -- ones produced in mass quantities for retail that come with extras, commentaries, carefully designed artwork/packaging and officially pressed DVD discs. My question is... why???
Remember, Warner Home Video is paying another company to actually manufacture and post the discs. That company would've had to invest in a lot of expensive equipment for those purposes. For them to do that they would need a firm guarantee of a certain amount of revenue irrespective of how many discs are sold. Therefore, Warner Home Video would need to ensure a certain amount of revenue per disc so they can afford to pay this other company, while still 1) funding the cost of preparing the transfers 2) having money to invest in new transfers 3) creating a profit for shareholders to justify the existence of this scheme.
Given that complexity of the financing, it makes sense to me that Warner Home Video would err at a higher price point initially to test demand for this service. If sales slow, they can always cut the price to increase demand, whereas it is a publicity nightmare to increase the price of something produce on a made to order basis!
I wouldn't be surprised if they offer discounts down the track (5 for the price of 4 would be good!), but at this stage they are testing the appeal of this completely new DVD business model.
I am just hoping that they accept international orders BEFORE the 20% off code expires!

You can sort this list by most popular by clicking here. For some reason I'm fascinated by what others are buying. I assume the Most Popular sorting updates once a day.

DanMel

Second Unit
Reaction score
CinéKarine said:
The 5 movies that were suddenly added early Sunday afternoon (the 4 early Hepburns and Bright Leaf) have been removed. So we are back with exactly 150 films. I bet you they will be in the next bunch though.
I noticed when they first appeared that the covers of these 5 particular films did not match the style/background color of the others.
When was the next batch of films to be released? Was it April 1st? If so that is just 8 days away. I'm hoping it is April 1st. If Bright leaf is not in the next batch of films, I'm going to be really depressed.
As for some that claim we can simply just record these off of TCM. I haven't been watching every single tcm guide since they first started showing movies, but I don't think Bright Leaf has ever been shown on TCM and I know it has never been released on VHS. This is what I think this new program is going to help on. Some movies are never shown on any tv station and some have never been shown since they first aired in theaters. Cary Grant in Crisis and Room for One may be two others in that boat. 20 dollars for these type of super rare movies in WB released prestine quality is well worth the 20 dollars even without extras or being on pressed dvds. For without WB all we will ever have is blurry bootleg messes on our big screen TV's to watch of their movies.
Just think if WB decides to release someday Meet John Doe which is in public domain. They could release it on dvd-r if they wanted to. Would people rather buy the blurry messes on pressed dvds or buy a prestine "It's a Wonderful Life like" quality version of it burned on dvd directly from WB for 20 dollars? I think they might still own the original negatives to it or at the least they probably have the best print of it since they are the one's that originally distributed it.

DanMel

Second Unit
Reaction score
Simon Howson said:
LOL!

I am just hoping that they accept international orders BEFORE the 20% off code expires!
When does the 20% off code expire? I will be a first time buyer, so I don't think that it should ever expire. I was told that the first 5 movies you buy with them will give you 20% off with the code.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Reaction score
DanMel said:
When does the 20% off code expire? I will be a first time buyer, so I don't think that it should ever expire. I was told that the first 5 movies you buy with them will give you 20% off with the code.
I think the 20% off one expires on the 30th.
They now have an Awards program too for people in the U.S. and Canada only:
WB INSIDER REWARDS
Members receive:
1) Discounts and prefered shipping from our new WBShop.com
2) Insider previews of new additions to Warner Archive Collection
3) All the latest news from Warner Archive Collection
4) Rare archive content, streaming downloads, preview clips for your computer and more to come!
You can read the terms and conditions here:
http://www.warnerarchive.com/rewards...onsRewards.htm

marcSV

Extra
Reaction score
Real Name
Marc Svetov
I still think it's ridiculous that the Warner Archive as well as the made-to-order DVDs are unavailable to ship to non-U.S. addresses. I wrote Warners about it, and all they said was they'll convey my message to their supervisors. This is absurd. There is such a huge customer base outside of the United States for these films; and to have to go 'round about to obtain them by bothering somebody in the States to use as a shipping address, so they can then ship them on to us Martians living outside the States, is all very wearisome. Why, Warner Bros.? You take our money but won't ship to our addresses.
Why eliminate us from your customer base ...

marcSV

Extra
Reaction score
Real Name
Marc Svetov
What I also don't understand is that Warners ships all their other films to non-U.S. addresses -- but not the DVDs from its archive and seemingly not the made-to-orders deriving from the same. Don't tell me "customs forms" are such a hindrance. For Warners, with its staff doing its shipping and all it entails, they are doing just that for the other films they allow. Just not for the Archive! It's perverse.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kanchibrneha