What's new

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (FEEDBACK) (6 Viewers)

Jefty

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Fiore
TravisR said:
From last night's chat, Warners said:
fair enough--that's what I would have expected...
and that's how it worked when I took TCM up on the RKO Classics from the Vault thing last year--which was pretty expensive in itself, but featured extraordinarily rare items that I wanted to encourage the studio to make available
this new batch, though, mostly includes films that could easily have appealed to a wider spectrum of viewers, if included in the right kind of package (and I've got the VHS tapes to prove that they used to think things like Three Comrades had a market---and no, I'm not even close to 40... I bought the VHS tapes with my newspaper delivery money when I was 14)
I spend close to 75% of my disposable income on classic DVDs, because I love them, and I want to see them in circulation... but this kind of niche collector thing seems counterproductive to me, and I reiterate that I won't be taking advantage of it, whether they ship to Canada or not...
normally, I wouldn't complain at all (it's not my style), but as I interpreted that list as 150 movies (all of which are almost certain to have been on the TCM schedule in recent years, and will almost certainly return) that won't be getting proper DVD releases ever, I'm sure you can at least understand my lack of enthusiasm

ChrisPearson

Second Unit
Douglas R said:
It's the law of economics - if you produce a product which is going to have limited demand, the cost will inevitably be higher than a mass market product. If the higher cost is the only way to get the Warner catalogue out then so be it. No-one is being forced to buy titles and these titles are considerably cheaper than the DVDs which I was buying when the format was first introduced. I really don't get all the whinging about this brilliant initiative by Warner Bros.
My comment was not about the economics behind Warner's pricing decision but the inability of some posters here to understand that some of us might be discouraged by it.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
ChrisPearson said:
My comment was not about the economics behind Warner's pricing decision but the inability of some posters here to understand that some of us might be discouraged by it.
I also wonder about the people who don't understand why some feel the prices are too high. Then again, maybe they are in a better financial position than I am. I am so excited about this plan by Warner, I just wish they would offer some kind of extra discount based on the # of titles you buy. I can only afford 4 at this time and I can't see myself buying anymore in the near future, especially since I'm avoiding many titles that I feel might make their way to retail one day.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
The price issue aside,i already find myself using the variable that the movie will show up in a box set with extras as a factor on what i order.I think Warners should do something to address that problem.

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
Jay E said:
I also wonder about the people who don't understand why some feel the prices are too high. Then again, maybe they are in a better financial position than I am. I am so excited about this plan by Warner, I just wish they would offer some kind of extra discount based on the # of titles you buy. I can only afford 4 at this time and I can't see myself buying anymore in the near future, especially since I'm avoiding many titles that I feel might make their way to retail one day.
I'm sure one of the things that comes in to play re the pricing is that it's much cheaper to manufacture (press) a big run of DVDs - the cost comes WAY down when you do bulk. When you're doing POD and doing it yourself, those costs rise and quite a bit. Not condoning or not condoning the price, just mentioning this fact.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Jay E said:
Jay,
Did you notice the 25% off code? If not it's XB392.
Crawdaddy

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Douglas R said:
No-one is being forced to buy titles and these titles are considerably cheaper than the DVDs which I was buying when the format was first introduced. I really don't get all the whinging about this brilliant initiative by Warner Bros.
I can record movies from TCM and put them on DVD-R for < $2, and currently have about 150 movies in my collection this way.
I also have replaced many, many recorded movies with commercial releases when they became available at at reasonable price ($8 - $10 or so), and would like to continue to do that, but at $20 each that's not going to happen very often.
---------------

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
Jay,
Did you notice the 25% off code? If not it's XB392.
Crawdaddy
Yes, thanks Robert, this helps...hopefully they will have something like this regularly.
I am struggling right now to cut my buy list down to 4 or 5...it isn't easy!!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
ScottHM said:
I can record movies from TCM and put them on DVD-R for < $2, and currently have about 150 movies in my collection this way.
I also have replaced many, many recorded movies with commercial releases when they became available at at reasonable price ($8 - $10 or so), and would like to continue to do that, but at $20 each that's not going to happen very often.
---------------
That doesn't mean the quality of your DVD-R recording is as good as what Warner is providing you. I've been doing such recording for several years now with over 1000 movies on DVD-R. However, I bought some of Warner's discs and will compare them to my DVD-R copies to see if there are differences which I expect there should be some improvement from Warner's DVD-R discs. If not then I'll reevaluate my future purchases from Warner Archive. Also, the showings on TCM might be from different film elements than those used for these Warner Archive offerings.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Jay E said:
Yes, thanks Robert, this helps...hopefully they will have something like this regularly.
I am struggling right now to cut my buy list down to 4 or 5...it isn't easy!!
If they can make that code unlimited with free shipping, it will help sales long-term beyond this initial rush to own this product. When people get their CC statements next month, I expect some folks to back off based on their particular economic situation.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Robert Crawford said:
That doesn't mean the quality of your DVD-R recording is as good as what Warner is providing you.
You're correct, but I don't have a tree in my back yard growing $20 bills.
Sometimes 'good enough' is what we have to settle for.
---------------

BradleyS

Stunt Coordinator
The problem with the pricing is that they're appealing to the casual fan, not the collector. At $20 a pop, they're trying to draw in the old movie fan who remembers watching SUNRISE AT CAMPOBELLO (or whatever) and has always wanted it on video -- i.e. people who will buy 1-2 titles each. They're not appealing to the collector who is willing to blind buy 20-30 titles (or more) just because they look interesting. And it seems to me that the serious collector is who they should be targeting.
I can't believe there are too many people out there who will pay $20 for some of these films -- and we're nowhere near the bottom of the barrel! Once the initial frenzy dies down, I wouldn't be surprised if they started packaging them together or discounting them. But I can't see this happening for at least a year or two. And yes, they should definitely keep the 25% off/free shipping coupons floating around -- even with the coupon, $75 for five bare-bones DVD-Rs is pretty stiff.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
ScottHM said:
You're correct, but I don't have a tree in my back yard growing $20 bills.
Sometimes 'good enough' is what we have to settle for.
---------------
Hey, I hear ya and do sympathize with those of us that don't have the discreationary dollars to spend $20 on such discs. Hopefully, Warner will offer some kind of discount program.

DanMel

Second Unit
With the Gary Cooper movie Bright Leaf being taken off the list after it was included with all the other movies on the first day kickoff, I've decided to post the link to the ask WB a question over at my Gary Cooper tcm thread to get Gary Cooper fans to write in and show their support for putting Bright Leaf back on the list of movies. Hopefully this will help get the movie back up on the list of movies to order soon.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
BradleyS said:
The problem with the pricing is that they're appealing to the casual fan, not the collector. At $20 a pop, they're trying to draw in the old movie fan who remembers watching SUNRISE AT CAMPOBELLO (or whatever) and has always wanted it on video -- i.e. people who will buy 1-2 titles each. They're not appealing to the collector who is willing to blind buy 20-30 titles (or more) just because they look interesting. And it seems to me that the serious collector is who they should be targeting.
I can't believe there are too many people out there who will pay $20 for some of these films -- and we're nowhere near the bottom of the barrel! Once the initial frenzy dies down, I wouldn't be surprised if they started packaging them together or discounting them. But I can't see this happening for at least a year or two. And yes, they should definitely keep the 25% off/free shipping coupons floating around -- even with the coupon, $75 for five bare-bones DVD-Rs is pretty stiff.
Pretty stiff, and they'll continue to charge it as long as folks clamour to get their hands on these 'exclusive' titles.
Those that can readily afford them will continue to wonder what all the whinging is about. Those that feel that an initiative that increases demands on disposible income at a time when we have less income to dispose, will simply get a shrug of the shoulders and a 'well, you don't have to buy them'. Which is the terrible, terrible truth.
I'll click the button, as I have done many, many times, and take a chance on a film because it may feature a star, a supporting actor or come from a CV of a director I've only recently discovered, even if I haven't seen it. That leads me to buy more; I've even bought box sets to get at one or two titles in the hope (usually fulfilled) that I'll enjoy the rest; why not? At the price, it's worth a punt.
I get the feeling that much of that has now passed. Which is kinda sad...$20 a film will remove that spontaneity.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
DanMel said:
With the Gary Cooper movie Bright Leaf being taken off the list after it was included with all the other movies on the first day kickoff, I've decided to post the link to the ask WB a question over at my Gary Cooper tcm thread to get Gary Cooper fans to write in and show their support for putting Bright Leaf back on the list of movies. Hopefully this will help get the movie back up on the list of movies to order soon.
I think that title will be back on the site anyway.

Jacqui

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jacqui
As an avid collector, I discovered at least 58 titles on that list I want.

Eck!!

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Jefty said:
Is there any reason for people to buy these $20 US-no-extras DVD-Rs instead of just recording 'em off TCM?
In my experience TCM from cable or satellite doesn't look anywhere near as good as the typical Warner DVD of a film of comparable vintage. Much, much softer, particularly evident the larger the display. Obviously, everybody will have their own cost/benefit ratio, but strictly quality-wise, the two methods are not equal.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
John Hodson said:
Pretty stiff, and they'll continue to charge it as long as folks clamour to get their hands on these 'exclusive' titles.
Those that can readily afford them will continue to wonder what all the whinging is about. Those that feel that an initiative that increases demands on disposible income at a time when we have less income to dispose, will simply get a shrug of the shoulders and a 'well, you don't have to buy them'. Which is the terrible, terrible truth.
I'll click the button, as I have done many, many times, and take a chance on a film because it may feature a star, a supporting actor or come from a CV of a director I've only recently discovered, even if I haven't seen it. That leads me to buy more; I've even bought box sets to get at one or two titles in the hope (usually fulfilled) that I'll enjoy the rest; why not? At the price, it's worth a punt.
I get the feeling that much of that has now passed. Which is kinda sad...$20 a film will remove that spontaneity.
I really believe the target for these are not "blind buys" or spontaneity, but to meet the collections of the classic movie fan - Think of this as TCM ala Carte
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Also,why should there be a rush to buy everything at once and not be select in what to buy (especially those with limited DVD budgets!) since these will not be 'going out of print'! You've seen the press - they are going to put up the whole darn library!
The price point for what it is is value for money - you're not only paying for the film , BUT FOR THE SERVICE - people forget that. Think about those who have to pay for an extra tier of cable or satelite service just to get TCM just to see a few films a month.
I wonder how long before we see the following on TCM after a film "Enjoy this film? It's available at The Warner Archive" for films available this way?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks