What's new

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (FEEDBACK) (1 Viewer)

Bradskey

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Davis
I've noticed I haven't received any Warner Archive email communications in the last several weeks. I finally logged into the site and found all my email communications preferences had been cleared. I find this annoying that I have to go back and reset them for no apparent reason. I'm not aware of anything I've done to trigger this, unless it had something to do with enrolling in the revamped Insider Rewards program. The sight has always seemed buggy though, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised at more general weirdness.

montag

Agent
Real Name
patrick
well as i stated in a previous post,I decided to order some Warner Archives that were on sale. I ordered 5 titles from their Western and War sales at a total cost of $51. I was told that they would be shipped 2/4-a week after I ordered them. Then they released more war movies today, one of which was GOD IS MY CO-PILOT , which I had to order. So I went into my account, typed in my e-mail and password. It seems they didn't exist, so I had to sign up again. I then checked on my previous order and was told I didn't make any purchases, even though I have confirmation of the order. Checking with my credit card company I was informed that payment was made the day after my purchase. Until I get this straightened out I'm afraid to order anything else. It was so simple with Amazon's Universal Vault series--no hassle at all.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Great, it happened. Today I received a badly scuffed disc from Warner Archive of Nicholas Ray's film Party Girl. It won't play in my Blu-ray player after the first 10 minutes, however, I was able to rip it even though it took over an hour.

Now let's see, what are my chances of getting a replacement sent to Australia?

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Originally Posted by Simon Howson /forum/thread/283916/warner-archive-discussion-thread-feedback/3090#post_3657018
Great, it happened. Today I received a badly scuffed disc from Warner Archive of Nicholas Ray's film Party Girl. It won't play in my Blu-ray player after the first 10 minutes, however, I was able to rip it even though it took over an hour.
Now let's see, what are my chances of getting a replacement sent to Australia?
You could have bought the French DVD as it is nearly the same master, but a pressed disc for 10 Euros. http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews20/party_girl_dvd_review.htm

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Just ordered 5 that have been reduced to $14.95. Tried the REWARD25 code, They said it was applied, but still got them for the $14.99 price...oh, well.

montag

Agent
Real Name
patrick
Boy am I confused, After posting that I was having a little trouble with my order from the Warner Archives, I get a UPS delivery of my 5 titles, at no extra cost to me. Not bad at all. Spot checking the films I found THE IRON MISTRESS to have the best color and an actual trailer. I have to applaud Warners for getting these titles to me so fast, when you consider they weren't supposed to ship until Thursday the 4th. Now I can go and order GOD IS MY CO-PILOT.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I ordered 10 on 10/1/09 and finally got to watch the last one today...it freezes up half way thru the movie.

Called WB and they will allow me to return the whole DVD and they'll send me out a new one...only this one time.

REMEMBER, YOU HAVE 30 DAYS TO RETURN IF DEFECTIVE.

She had to ask a supervisor if it was okay, especially since I just ordered another 21 and I don't watch a film every day!

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
You know the studios could save alot of headaches over deffective discs if they do the following:

1) Use QUALITY Made media - Verbatim (Mushibishi) and Tayio Yuden (Now owned by JVC made in Japan) are the best quality (often refered to as "archival grade") and highest rated in tests,high compatiblity, etc. - we're talking pennies more over the lower-quality so-called "Pro" and "High" grade media.

2) Better data checks - do these outfits have equpment set to make sure discs are checked after burning to insure thay burned correctly? It adds a little more time to make each disc,but it cuts down sending bad ones out.

3) Burn less that the top-speed the equipment and media is rated for - gives a cleaner burn data wise.

If they are charging top dollar for these discs,then they can go the extra mile to produce them to the best possible quality.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Marcel H. /forum/thread/283916/warner-archive-discussion-thread-feedback/3090#post_3657080
You could have bought the French DVD as it is nearly the same master, but a pressed disc for 10 Euros. http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews20/party_girl_dvd_review.htm
That would work out to nearly double what I paid for the Warner Archive version. I was able to rip the disc, but it is all about principle, Warner said they would "stand by" these discs, so they should send a replacement.

montag

Agent
Real Name
patrick
In my case it took Warner's 2 days to reply to an e-mail, much to my satisfaction. The titles I picked up the other day were very good, but the problem is they won't play on my computer, and I'm not able to get screen captures. My computer is about 6 yrs. old. It suits me fine . Im using WinDVD5 to play my dvd's and get screen captures. Does anybody have suggestions as to how I can get these mod's to play on my computer(an HP Pavilion a450n) Maybe new software. Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Ah, I've already waited 2 days, but no reply so far.

Give VLC Media Player a go. It's completely free:
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

To play a DVD, just go File, Open Disc, then select the disc device that corresponds to your DVD drive.

To make a screen capture, go to the Video menue, and select Snapshot.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I've never used their e mail. I've always used the toll free customer service # (866-373-4389). Just used it this morning. Had my first bad disc in quite awhile. Malaya had many glitches right at the beginning of the film.

I called them , Gave them my info and they resend the title. Should get it in about 10 days they say.

montag

Agent
Real Name
patrick
Thanks Simon for the advice. I tried the VLC MEDIA PLAYER, but it didn'i work for me. Maybe my WINDVD5 is outdated for this particular playback. Maybe I should get a newer version. My operating system is WINDOWSXP by the way, if that helps. But thanks again,it was appreciated.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
It may be the specific PC DVD drive hardware or firmware that won't properly play back these discs, rather than the DVD player software used.

RUrahrah

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim Almoney
Discovered by accident last week the VLC/WindowsXP combination works for me, after a friend suggested it as a replacement for a corrupted WindowsMedia player.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Simon Howson /forum/thread/283916/warner-archive-discussion-thread-feedback/3120#post_3657720
Ah, I've already waited 2 days, but no reply so far.
Give VLC Media Player a go. It's completely free:
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
To play a DVD, just go File, Open Disc, then select the disc device that corresponds to your DVD drive.
To make a screen capture, go to the Video menue, and select Snapshot.
It's possible that your DVD drive has just worn out and won't burnt read discs. I'd look at replacing it. You just need to work out if it uses SATA or IDE, and buy the same replacement drive.

montag

Agent
Real Name
patrick
First I want to thank everybody for their suggestions on playing MOD'S on my computer. I tried downloading some files , but that didn't work. Then Simon mentioned the fact that maybe my DVD drive was worn out. I have used it a lot for burning CD's of old radio shows. So it occured to me maybe I should try my sister's 10 yr. old SONY laptop. She never used the DVD drive on it, plus it had WINDVD software. Well the problem is solved. And today I was informed by Warners that 3 titles I ordered the other day, using rewards25, had shipped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks