What's new

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (FEEDBACK) (1 Viewer)

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
I received SHE today and it looks fine -- no squeezing whatsoever. But the image does look like it was done for either laserdisc or video. Soft, not sharply detailed, but certainly acceptable (but not for full price).

Ben

MichaelEl

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by JeffMc /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If my players couldn't read it correctly, I would have returned it immediately. Only one person has had problems with the disc (of course, only two so far confirm the disc is fine). I believe MichaelEl is getting a bad squeezed result, thus my theory the disc is missing some flags.
I contacted Warner about this problem, but have received no reply. Maybe I should write them again.

It doesn't seem likely that only some discs would be flagged incorrectly, as every order is almost certainly being burned to DVD from the same disc image.

montag

Agent
Real Name
patrick
when I last read this forum, which was sunday 8/23, we were on page 88. now all i can get is up to page 87. has the warner archive discuuion ended? page 88 had a lot of negative comments about the archive is this why it's no longer there?

montag

Agent
Real Name
patrick
it seems as though as soon as i posted my inquiry about page 88, it suddenly reappeared. sorry about the previous post.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Not much seems to be happening with the Archive website. Still no new value paks and no new sales. Way to keep me from spending my money WBs.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
The sci-fi value pack has been missing for a few days now. A shame as that was the only one I was interested in buying ASAP.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
It's very frustrating for those of us who have already bought some of the titles to see them now as part of a value pak that we would have pruchased in the first place if they were available as is the case with me and the Randolph Scott westerns and Westerns Of The 1950s collections. Fortunately I've not purchased any of the Joan Crawford titles yet. I haven't purchased any of the many Lana Turner titles available on the Archives yet but what do you want to be that when I do ..... they'll come out with a Lana Turner value pak the next month?

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
Just had a quick question that has likely been asked already -- are these discs going to be continuously available as part of the Archive, or if there demand for certain titles isn't there, is there the possibility some might go "out of print" after a certain period of time? I would think being available "on demand" that there wouldn't be the need for OOP titles, but you never know...

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Received my replacement copy of THE STORY OF MANKIND yesterday. The image is still squeezed so the problem is obviously with my Pioneer DVD player and not the disc as the Toshiba plays it just fine.

Corey

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Rob_Kozlowski /forum/thread/283916/warner-archive-discussion-thread/2610#post_3599261

They have added a Joan Crawford value pak, which you can see right here. It doesn't appear to be available yet, and it's probably an accident that it's even viewable at all, but that does seem to point the way toward more value paks.
Looks like my suggestion worked. It makes economically practical, since Joan is a big seller.

greylocke5

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard G.
I just checked for the Randolph Scott value pack - I couldn't find it. I suppose it has retreated to a hidden cyber-chamber, along with the Our Gang and Dogville Shorts titles. And so it goes.

I have used earlier coupons to buy my Joan Crawford, Lana Turner, and Ida Lupino titles. But I have exercised self restraint in regards to the Randolph Scott, Al Jolson and Elizabeth Taylor titles, in hopes that value packs for those stars would eventually appear. And so it has for Scott - except - well, I assume it will reappear someday. After all, the 50's Westerns bundle appeared for a couple of days about a month ago - long enough for me to order it - and then it disappeared, only to reappear yesterday.

Some guy named Tantalus ( or maybe it's Lazarus) must be the webmaster for the Archive.

And just as the Randolph Scott pack has disappeared, the Sci-Fi pack has now reappeared. I think this website is run by gremlins who hate movie fans.
Originally Posted by greylocke5 /forum/thread/283916/warner-archive-discussion-thread/2610#post_3599684
I just checked for the Randolph Scott value pack - I couldn't find it. I suppose it has retreated to a hidden cyber-chamber, along with the Our Gang and Dogville Shorts titles. And so it goes.
I have used earlier coupons to buy my Joan Crawford, Lana Turner, and Ida Lupino titles. But I have exercised self restraint in regards to the Randolph Scott, Al Jolson and Elizabeth Taylor titles, in hopes that value packs for those stars would eventually appear. And so it has for Scott - except - well, I assume it will reappear someday. After all, the 50's Westerns bundle appeared for a couple of days about a month ago - long enough for me to order it - and then it disappeared, only to reappear yesterday.
Some guy named Tantalus ( or maybe it's Lazarus) must be the webmaster for the Archive.

And the "Buy Any 5 of these Archive DVDs for just $49.95" deal has returned with 16 completely random selections. I think most of them are from the original 150.

Angel Baby
The Baby Maker
The Bamboo Blonde
Close to My Heart
A Distant Trumpet
A Dream of Kings
Dusty and Sweets McGee
I Was An American Spy
Joy of Living
A Lion in the Streets
Lost Boundaries
Mrs. Parkington
Rage
Roughly Speaking
The Sins of Rachel Cade
Three Comrades

Jobla

Supporting Actor
The website is the worst I have ever seen, with titles and even customer orders disappearing at will, in addition to the incredibly slow and difficult navigation.

When I make my end-of-the-year DVD lists, I shall probably cite Warner Archives accordingly:

"Best concept with the worst execution." What more can I say?

Thomas, I'm glad that you can view STORY OF MANKIND on your Toshiba. However, I assume that the DVD's image is still full-frame. I have both a new Sony HDTV (which expands the image to fill the screen, unless the image has been letterboxed at 2:35-1---in that case, I get thin black bars above and below the image), and a 15 year old Sony Trinitron flat screen TV. The MANKIND image appears full-frame on the old flat Trinitron set as well as on the HDTV set, so I do not consider this DVD to be letterboxed in any way. Let me know if you disagree.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks