What's new

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (FEEDBACK) (1 Viewer)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by bgart13 /forum/thread/283916/warner-archive-discussion-thread/2550#post_3596892
Something interesting regarding URGH! being released by WB Archives...
Last week I emailed Jim Skafish to see if he knew about WB's release of URGH!, in which he and his band appeared. Today, he emailed me a link to his blog and an article he wrote on this. Turns out, he didn't know (as I expected). However, neither did Miles Copeland...
Read his blog for more information regarding his involvement with the film, thoughts on the dvd-r release and his wishes for an official non-dvd-r release. And, make sure to read the feedback comments and Jim's responses for more info.
http://skafishblog.skafish.com/2009/08/15/urgh-a-music-war-re-released-sort-of%e2%80%a6/
Essentially, this title may raise questions about the legalities of the WB Archives and its future, I think. I have wondered if everyone involved with the movies have been getting compensated, and if not, how WB was getting around it all.
More than likely Warner doesn't have to worry about the artists themselves, but with the label that licenses the music.

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Young
Given that other Hammerscope? productions don't exhibit this level of distortion, I tend to doubt the film looked this way originally.
Edited by MichaelEl - 8/16/2009 at 07:11 am GMT
Devil-Ship Pirates looks similar (look at the curved walls on the comparison pics at the bottom of the review)

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
Mike_Richardson and I have both confirmed the disc looks fine as far as composition and aspect ratio go - no squeezing. I've tried it on both of my systems and it looks perfect on both. However, Michael_El is getting a squeezed image on his set-ups and has put up some screenshots as to what he sees (and those shots don't represent what I see on my set-up). So either he got a faulty disc, or the discs have been encoded in a way where some players are having problems, or the settings are just set differently. It will be interesting to hear other comments on this disc if anyone else picks it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgart13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm confused now. Is SHE or isn't SHE done correctly?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
The MGM Our Gang shorts is up for order - Five discs for the years 1938-1944 with 52 shorts on it. There is a rumor that a Joe McDoakes 62 shorts collection is up also, but I can not find it. Right now the Our gang shorts are on sale for $19.99. All of the previous pre-releases are up, including Any Wednesday, Hot Millions and Not With My Wife You Don't.

I am disappointed that Warner's does not think Our Gang is worth a general DVD release, but these shorts were at the bottom of the series, but they are still funny.

By the way the description says that the shorts are from 1938 - 1944, but the list of shorts indicates that they go through 1944.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
The McDoakes come up for pre order at 19.95. When i click on the our gangs it goes to an error page. Where the hell are the other new value paks ? Like the women of warners? I thought that they were doing a pretty good job putting up value paks for a short time. Now nothing. I hope these MacDoakes and Our Gang lead to other packages.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
It's too bad... I've been waiting years for the Joe McDoakes to see a release and constantly requesting them in the annual chats and threads that have come up, but this was NOT the format I'd been holding out for. /img/vbsmilies/htf/rolleyes.gif

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Well now the New Release page is back to what it was yesterday. I guess in a couple of days everything will be right again.

greylocke5

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard G.
Originally Posted by GregoryMesh /forum/thread/283916/warner-archive-discussion-thread/2550#post_3596982
2 more future Archives titles I discovered while looking around:
Hot Millions (1968)
Not with My Wife, You Don't! (1966)
I just scoured the pre-order area and found the following new titles listed. For how long - who knows?
Berlin Express (EST-MOD)
City Beneath the Sea (EST-MOD)
Dogville Shorts (EST-MOD)
Earth II (EST-MOD)
Genesis II (1973)(EST-MOD)
Highway 301 (EST-MOD)
I Died a Thousand Times (EST-MOD)
Joe McDoakes (63 SHORTS)(EST-MOD)
A Lady of Chance (1928)
Killer McCoy (EST-MOD)
Man From Atlantis (EST-MOD)
Murder Is My Beat (1955)(EST-MOD)
Pay Or Die (EST-MOD)
Planet Earth (1974)(EST-MOD)
Speedway (1929)
Suspense (EST-MOD)

KELLYBOY

Agent
Real Name
bob berg
Not very exciting for me but it looks like a few film noirs are included:

SUSPENSE
KILLER MCCOY
I DIED A THOUSAND TIMES
MURDER IS MY BEAT
HIGHWAY 301

Sounds like these titles would make a nice Value Pack.

KELLYBOY

Agent
Real Name
bob berg
Just checked the SUSPENSE title and the site listed it as a 3 pack for $25.56 with no other information. OUR GANG series is listed as a pre-order but when you go to check information or order the DVD the site is not recognizing this title. This continues to be the worst site I have ever encountered.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I went to the wb site earlier and found most of the titles listed on this thread. Went back a little bit ago and i can't find many of the titles. I know i've pissed and moaned about the lack of value paks in the last month. I'm also concerned about the lack of coupons. With the value paks and coupons to go along with the odd sale,it made titles affordable. Now it seems they are backing off these plans a bit. I hope this is not the way the future will be for this program. With sales,coupons and value paks i support the program. Without those i'm outta here.

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
Just got an e-mail from Warner Archive - is this the first time George Felenstein has put his photo in an e-mail? Anyway, there are a lot of interesting titles, but who knows how the transfers are. Are there any coupon codes to be had - I'm certainly not ordering in bulk at twenty bucks a pop.

moviebuffed

Auditioning
Real Name
David L. Dotson
Thanks Jeff for the welcome. Well.... gotta say that upon my first purchase of 4 titles I had my reservations and my email from Warner stating 15 days max for arrival was ok but I ordered my films on Monday and by Friday afternoon they were already here! I viewed the 4 titles and I am more than satisfied with the quality. I have a Sony Bravia 46" and I could see very little difference than dvd quality and I am (so far) a satisfied customer and will purchase more titles. I even got a 25% off coupon already so that surely helps.

greylocke5

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard G.
Originally Posted by moviebuffed /forum/thread/283916/warner-archive-discussion-thread/2580#post_3597349
Thanks Jeff for the welcome. Well.... gotta say that upon my first purchase of 4 titles I had my reservations and my email from Warner stating 15 days max for arrival was ok but I ordered my films on Monday and by Friday afternoon they were already here! I viewed the 4 titles and I am more than satisfied with the quality. I have a Sony Bravia 46" and I could see very little difference than dvd quality and I am (so far) a satisfied customer and will purchase more titles. I even got a 25% off coupon already so that surely helps.
Perhaps you would share the coupon code with the rest of us?

Corey

Screenwriter
that was real dumb of them not to make the elizabeth taylor films into a value pack. i'm not spendin $20 for each of them.

MichaelEl

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by JeffMc
image height stretched by a factor of 40:33

Of course stretching the image vertically decreases the aspect ratio of the film from 2.4:1 (as listed on the case) to 2:1 or thereabouts. My guess is that the print they used was cropped from 2.35:1 to 2:1, and either someone didn't realize that and incorrectly set the aspect ratio to 2.4:1 or else they just forgot to convert from square to rectangular pixels.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Originally Posted by Bob Cashill /forum/thread/283916/warner-archive-discussion-thread/2580#post_3597307
PAY OR DIE is a good Ernest Borgnine film (1960).
I just picked up an original poster for this film last month and am planning on having Mr. Borgnine sign it in October at a Movie collectibles show. I would love to actually see the film.

Charles H

Screenwriter
Does anyone know what happens if you order a title (e.g., "Our Gang," "Joe McDoakes, "Dogville Shorts") from the Warner Archive and the title vanishes from the site the next day? Does WA notify you or just keep the order in place forever?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks