What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Collection Press Release: The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm (1962) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
There has been talk of this film for years - as long AS I've been a member here - and now that it's finally coming, I'm going to support WA by getting this in the hopes that it will lead to other restorations that I need, namely ATWI80D. I'm actually excited to see this, and the restoration bonus feature!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Warner Bros. Motion Picture Imaging provided the scanning of the original 6-perf 3-panel o-negatives. David Strohmaier and Tom H. March did the digital restoration.
Yeah, George Feltenstein expanded a little about the work done in one of those recent "The Extras" podcasts with Tim Millard.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
The 3-panels of Cinerama did not have Mag stripping. The sound was on a separate 35mm strip of film. 3-panel Cinerama had an AR of about 2.6 with slight cropping on the sides at a Cinerama theatre. That's what you are seeing in the Smilebox version. In the flat version there is no cropping so it's about 2.85.
I know its a small amount but its strange they switched from 2.89 on HTWWW to 2.85 on Brothers Grimm.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
2.89:1 is based on an extraction of all usable image area on a 3-panel Cinerama element. Battle of the Bulge is an Ultra Panavision Cinerama title, so like Ben-Hur, is "only" 2.76:1. Some sources claim the correct AR for Cinerama is "only" 2.59:1, but Cinerama is an odd duck because of the exhibition process, which involved mechanical "combs" known as "gigolos" oscillating rapidly to blur the join lines between the three panels, and a curved screen, which was designed to stretch portions of the image and reduce the fisheye effect of the extremely wide angle 28mm lens.
It didn't work for me when I saw How the West Was Won in a Cinerama theater a few months before my 8th birthday. I absolutely noticed the join lines (they had a kind of "rolling" effect when something moved through them or a pan occurred) and the fisheye effect (though had no idea what they were or were called at that time) and spent more time watching those than the actual movie. For some reason I was fascinated by the distortions.

It *was* pretty cool seeing it on that huge screen though. Even though we were in the balcony (at least the front row though) it still mostly filled your vision. It's the one movie I wished my sister and I hadn't insisted on balcony seats or that my dad had said "No. We need to see this one as close to the screen as possible."

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
It didn't work for me when I saw How the West Was Won in a Cinerama theater a few months before my 8th birthday. I absolutely noticed the join lines (they had a kind of "rolling" effect when something moved through them or a pan occurred) and the fisheye effect (though had no idea what they were or were called at that time) and spent more time watching those than the actual movie. For some reason I was fascinated by the distortions.

It *was* pretty cool seeing it on that huge screen though. Even though we were in the balcony (at least the front row though) it still mostly filled your vision. It's the one movie I wished my sister and I hadn't insisted on balcony seats or that my dad had said "No. We need to see this one as close to the screen as possible."

You probably would have enjoyed it more siting in the orchestra and maybe being older.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Placeholder for preorder

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Wonder if Barbara Eden would feel up to an interview about the film? I'd like to hear what she would have to say.
--jthree

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I’m SOOOO looking forward to watching this in Smilebox on my tv! Such a great movie!

Reactions: PMF

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Would it have been possible to have done a 4K release of Brothers Grimm? How much more work would that have involved?
--jthree

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks