What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Collection Press Release: Captains of the Clouds (1942) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
And I'm generally not a Brenda Marshall fan, for instance I find her really irritating in "The Sea Hawk" because she's trying to be so very sweet and it comes across to me as phony and stiff but I love her in "Captains of the Clouds". I think she's amazing in it. And it's more than beauty. She's a real woman in that film. In that film, unlike many of the others I've seen her in, she transcends the material. Maybe because Cagney is so expressive, so in the moment, it gave her something to work against. He brings everybody up to another level Or maybe I like her better when she's playing unappealing characters, as she's not trying so hard to be charming, but just is. Anyway, seeing her in "Captains of the Clouds" was a real eye opener for me.
Clearly, you're more of a fan of this movie and her performance/character in this particular film than I am, so I'll leave it at that.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Quite correct.

And then there were three…

Not certain if WB owns this, or it reverted.
A Lion in the Streets was on TCM not too long ago and it didn't look very good. Much work is needed for that title. Which title are you talking about in regard to WB owing it or rights being reverted?

70 Millman

Agent
Real Name
John
That the character Brenda Marshall plays may "not be a good person" is a value judgement on the part of the viewer. I don't think her character is a "bad person" per se, but badly written and stereotyped and ill-defined, as well as contradictory, but regardless of the character she plays, in the opinion of this viewer, she has never looked lovelier nor been presented more sympathetically. In spite of all the ambiguities and cliches, she won me over. And I generally find her irritating, but I do like her in "Captains of the Clouds". It's one of those films in which I find the characters and the plot implausible, but the actors and the way the film is put together works for me every time I watch it, in spite of the issues I have with the script.
Saying that the character Brenda Marshall plays may "not be a good person" is a value judgement on the part of the viewer" is a value judgment! Let's go wokeness!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
The only Cagney Technicolor production (of two) controlled by WB. The other is a Fox film by one of their contract directors.
Still trying to picture Jimmy Cagney as Robin Hood and the rest of Cagney's stock Company as his Merry Men just imagine Allen Jenkins and Guy Kibbee (thought as Friar Tuck) and they would have been in Technicolor!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Amazon Link is now active:

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks