What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Collection Announcement: Land of the Pharaohs (1955) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

daver812

Grip
Real Name
Dave
View attachment 183437

Coming to Blu-ray from Warner Archive June 27th
NEW 2023 1080p HD master from 4K scan of Original Camera Negative!

LAND OF THE PHARAOHS (1955)
Run Time 106:00
Subtitles English SDH
Audio Specs DTS HD-Master Audio 5.1 - Stereo
Aspect Ratio 16x9 2.55 Letterbox
Product Color COLOR
Disc Configuration BD 50

Special Features: Commentary by Film Historian/Director Peter Bogdanovich (with archival interview comments by Howard Hawks); Classic Warner Bros. Cartoon SAHARA HARE (HD); Original Theatrical Trailer
Cast: Jack Hawkins, Joan Collins, Dewey Martin
Director Howard Hawks, who worked brilliantly in virtually every genre, shows his mastery of the large-scale epic with this gigantic production filmed on location in Egypt. Thousands of extras (9,787 in one scene alone!), magnificently detailed sets (including the pyramid's inner labyrinth, booby-trapped so no one can learn its secrets and live) and vast desert vistas fill the screen and astonish the eye. There are also human-scaled stories. Of the Pharaoh (Jack Hawkins) who orders the pyramid as his tomb, dooming untold numbers to unending toil. Of the architect (James Robertson Justice) designing it to earn his people's freedom. Of the slaves constructing it of blood and sinew. And a beautiful queen (Joan Collins) whose greed leads to murder- and a stunning revenge!
I have my signed Laser disc of LAND OF THE PHARAOHS :)

Attachments

• Dave+Joan Collins-012620 (2).jpg
    Dave+Joan Collins-012620 (2).jpg
    541.6 KB · Views: 65

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
I’ve experienced CinemaScope films on disc in which the so-called “mumps” stretching effect is very noticeable, but Land of the Pharoahs on HBOMax didn’t particularly suffer from this at the extremes. Is there a technical secret for correcting this effect showing on a flat screen as opposed to the curved screen when such films were shown theatrically?

The below passage from CineSavant explains what Disney did to correct the “CinemaScope Mumps” when they restored 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea:

20,000 originally contained numerous shots plagued by the CinemaScope Mumps — actors in close-up (or tight two-shots) have always looked horizontally squashed. It was an early flaw of the anamorphic process. By scanning the original negatives, Disney reclaimed more image ‘real estate’ on the horizontal axis. Bits of image area to the extreme left and right had always been unused because it was covered by magnetic soundtracks. For the shots with Mumps, the extra width allowed the digital compositors to squeeze the image slightly — without blowing it up — putting Captain Nemo’s face back into its proper proportions. It really helps.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I have taken a chill pill and am now chilled, but shaken, not stirred. I responded to you because you quoted my post at the top of your response - when you do that it appears that your are ONLY responding to that person, i.e. me. I appreciate your posts, Roland, I do - but I've been around the block with Cinemascope and know exactly how it works. Actually, I've been around the block, period, at my age. :) I saw my first Cinemascope (or Cinnamonscope as my daughter used to put it) film in 1954 - The High and the Mighty and it was Mighty impressive to my young eyeballs. Looking forward to this Blu-ray.

I thought I was old!:D I have the DVD of The High and the Mighty. Looks and sounds pretty good for a DVD that was released 18 years ago.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
The below passage from CineSavant explains what Disney did to correct the “CinemaScope Mumps” when they restored 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea:

This is a comparison of the iTunes vs DVD, but you can see there is more info on the sides.
1684342853056.png

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Preorder is live.

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I made the following post in the Warner Archive Announcement thread:

Last night, after receiving another email that indicated that Rio Bravo and East of Eden 4K/UHD release date has changed again from July 18th to August 1st, I did my usual checking around other retailers. Movie Zyng, Best Buy and Deep Discount have noted the same release date change. Last week, Amazon changed the release date from July 18th to August 1st. About 24 hours later, it changed it back to July 18th. Now, it's changed again to August 1st.

As to Land of the Pharaohs, Movie Zyng like Amazon has changed the release date from June 27th to July 18th. Deep Discount and Best Buy are still showing June 27th. I tend to believe that Amazon and Movie Zyng might be right because Movie Zyng is closely associated with Warner.

I wonder if these release date delays are due to some manufacturing issues that produce the discs? Obviously, the work has been done on the films as we've seen what was shown on TCM and HBO Max/Max.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
Aren’t all the discs sourced from Mexico now? Perhaps it’s a delay caused by internal factors at the production facility. As long as they show up looking as expected, I guess we should be grateful. But the various delays do make one wonder.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks