What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Collection Announcement: King Solomon's Mines (1950) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I'm embarrassed to say that the only version of King Solomon's Mines I've seen is the one from the '80s with Richard Chamberlain and Sharon Stone. :biggrin:

Ack! A friend and I saw that at a local theater back then, and basically pulled an MST3K throughout the entire movie. We almost lost it when it was obvious that in the cannibal's cooking pot with them were bright, shiny, plastic vegetables!

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'm embarrassed to say that the only version of King Solomon's Mines I've seen is the one from the '80s with Richard Chamberlain and Sharon Stone. :biggrin:
I'm embarrassed to say that I've never seen either film.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Ack! A friend and I saw that at a local theater back then, and basically pulled an MST3K throughout the entire movie. We almost lost it when it was obvious that in the cannibal's cooking pot with them were bright, shiny, plastic vegetables!
Most recent movies privilege realism over spirit. It's a net loss imo.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
We are complaining about a cover --- bigger question is with the original film release this was they best they did????
Maybe it's a TBA artwork, I hope, LOL!!! For such a pivotal film, the artwork needs to better reflect the films spirit...and that definatly aint it!!!
Cracking Up Lol GIF

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Maybe it's a TBA artwork, I hope, LOL!!! For such a pivotal film, the artwork needs to better reflect the films spirit...and that definatly aint it!!!
Cracking Up Lol GIF
My point is it was the film poster in 1950 YUCK another used was not any better
1682023097569.png

1682023135978.png

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier

Attachments

• 9762e602420429125b3f93401dcb0f5a51a1e025cf2514685b7fe9e32e8a9032._RI_V_TTW_-2.jpg
    9762e602420429125b3f93401dcb0f5a51a1e025cf2514685b7fe9e32e8a9032._RI_V_TTW_-2.jpg
    870.6 KB · Views: 30
  • f89b81242322eeccf70caca8094002bc.jpg
    f89b81242322eeccf70caca8094002bc.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 42
  • MV5BNTQ0NWZjMWEtZTg1MC00ZDlkLTg5NjEtOWNmOTg3MTEzNDQ3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA0MjU0Ng@@._V1_.jpg
    MV5BNTQ0NWZjMWEtZTg1MC00ZDlkLTg5NjEtOWNmOTg3MTEzNDQ3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA0MjU0Ng@@._V1_.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 27
  • s-l1600.png
    s-l1600.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 26

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
At this late date, I think you guys are crying over spilt milk. IMO, the actual film is the most important element in this release. If the Blu-ray looks and sounds great than I'm a happy camper. Not some cover art that I will barely look at just before loading the Blu-ray into my player.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
At this late date, I think you guys are crying over spilt milk. IMO, the actual film is the most important element in this release. If the Blu-ray looks and sounds great than I'm a happy camper. Not some cover art that I will barely look at just before loading the Blu-ray into my player.
Spot on - I was just proving they really had nothing better to work with - for some reason such a BIG film had a lackluster poster campaign thats on MGM 1950 not WAC 2023

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Not really "crying", per say, but this looks more like something Paramount would drop on theirs, rather than WAC. I've just expected more from them, as thier standards have been so consistent.

It might seem nit picky, but really...you are correct that the most important aspect IS the film it's self, that being said, they do have a graphics department that could offer a nicer presentaion than that "distorted cut and paste" job done here. It feels more like "the dog ate my homework" presentaion, which is not the way WAC has ever done previously to my knowledge. Packaging and Presentation DO reflect on thier "eye on detail" and can either enhance or detract from it.
I'll buy either way, because I know the quality of thier films are there. I was just stuck with the cover graphics it was just so lack luster that I had to say something.

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Spot on - I was just proving they really had nothing better to work with - for some reason such a BIG film had a lackluster poster campaign thats on MGM 1950 not WAC 2023
But that's not the case, many of the Euro posters were superior to that one style that was used in the states. I'm sure that thier graphics department has access to all of that material, so for me, that line of reasoning doesn't pass the smell test ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.