What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Collection Announcement: Idiot's Delight (1939) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1716931950022.png

COMING TO BLU-RAY FROM THE WARNER ARCHIVE COLLECTION JULY 30th !

NEW 2024 1080p HD Master from 4K Scan of Best Preservation Elements.

IDIOT’S DELIGHT (1939)

BD-50
Running Time: 105 Minutes
16x9 1.37:1 with side mattes
DTS-MA HD 2.0 MONO
English SDH
NOT RATED
SPECIAL FEATURES: Classic cartoons: THE GOOD EGG (HD) and IT’S AN ILL WIND (HD); Original Theatrical Trailer
M-G-M legends Norma Shearer and Clark Gable star in Clarence Brown’s smashing adaptation of Robert E. Sherwood’s Pulitzer prize-winning play. They first meet in Omaha. They meet again years later at the Swiss border…and at the edge of World War II. Gable as smalltime hoofer Harry Van and Shearer as his one-time honey Irene, now passing herself off as a Russian aristocrat and clinging to the arm of a munitions baron who strike sparks in this witty, cogent clash of love and war, which was one of M-G-M’s many 1939 instant classics. Idiot’s Delight, released in the same year as Gone with the Wind, shows Gable at his rakish, manly, movie-star best. The most memorable scene features Gable’s performance “Puttin’ on the Ritz”, a wise-guy song-and-dance routine to the Irving Berlin classic that ends with the King leaping gracefully into the arms of a chorus line of peroxide cuties. Lucky girls!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I wonder how they are handling the two endings for this one?
No mention of the 2 endings . I would hope they would allow you to choose which ending US or International that you would like to view via seamless breaching. However since that would be a selling point and it is not mentioned this probably will not be included. Likewise just showing the alternate ending as an extra is also not mentioned so it too may not be included. TCM stopped showing the alternate ending several years ago. I never bought the Archive MOD DVD so I don't know if it was included on that. The lack of any preservation elements for the alternate ending may be the reason it can't be reinserted into the film but I will be disappointed if it is not included as an extra even if it is just in SD. I imagine something will be said on the podcast about the alternate ending on a future podcast promoting the release. More 1930's Gable is always welcome in any case.

Last edited:

Broomy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
No mention of the 2 endings . I would hope they would allow you to choose which ending US or international that you would like to view via seamless breaching. However since that would be a selling point and it is not mentioned this probably will not be included. Likewise just showing the alternate ending as an extra is also not mentioned so it too may not be included. TCM stopped showing the alternate ending several years ago. I never bought the Archive MOD DVD so I don't know if it was included on that. The lack of any preservation elements for the alternate ending may be the reason it can't be reinserted into the film but I will be disappointed if it is not included as an extra even if it is just in SD. I imagine something will be said on the podcast about the alternate ending on a future podcast promoting the release. More 1930's Gable is always welcome in any case.
You’ve summed up my thoughts entirely. The alternative ending on San Francisco was presented as a standalone extra in SD if I remember correctly so I don’t see why the same can’t be done here.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Information about the two endings. From Wikipedia.

Alternate endings
In the play, the curtain goes down on Harry and Irene as they sing "Onward, Christian Soldiers" while bombs explode outside, leaving their survival an open question. That ending was filmed, but The New York Times reported in January 1939, that preview audiences hated it. Retakes were ordered.[4] The two surviving versions of the film's ending show the couple safe and happy after surviving the air raid.

In an ending intended for international audiences, Irene asks Harry to play a hymn, something from his childhood. They quietly sing "Abide with Me", their backs turned to the furious air battle behind them. “I've loved you all the time,” he says. “Thanks for telling me, darling,” she replies. The explosions stop. “Look Harry, they've gone away,” Irene cries, and they embrace.

In 1999, TCM[5] aired a print that shows both endings. After “The End” a title card says: “You have just seen the original ‘International’ 1939 ending of MGM’s ‘Idiots (sic) Delight’ which is spiritual and optimistic in tone. We now present the original ‘domestic’ theatrical ending that seems to ignore the fact that the rest of the world is at war.” In the domestic (U.S., Canadian) ending, Harry and Irene talk about their plans for the future while the bombs explode outside the lobby window. They rehearse the secret code he used in his mind-reading act. The bombing stops and Irene excitedly describes their future act together while Harry plays the damaged piano. The international ending is what TCM shows now.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
In 1999, TCM[5] aired a print that shows both endings. After “The End” a title card says: “You have just seen the original ‘International’ 1939 ending of MGM’s ‘Idiots (sic) Delight’ which is spiritual and optimistic in tone. We now present the original ‘domestic’ theatrical ending that seems to ignore the fact that the rest of the world is at war.”

Whaaaaaatttt? Someone at Turner wrote that? Idiot's Delight opened in New York on February 2, 1939 (a week after premiering in Philadelphia.) The "rest of the world" wasn't at war until September!
New_York_Daily_News_February_2_1939.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mallett17
Recent bookmarks