What's new

Warner Archive: Bronk (Jack Palance) (1 Viewer)

bronson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adrian
I heard that Warner Archives released the 70´s series "Bronk" on DVD on June4th.

I don´t know this series.

Is it good?

Can you recommened a "blind-buy"?

Where can I order it because I can´t find it on amzon.com

I can´t order it with Warner Archive because they don´t ship to Europe.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
I would definitely recommend it, depending on your tastes. It was a blind buy for me, largely because I love that early 70's time period of police and detective shows. I have been able to watch the pilot film and first four episodes and I have found it to be very typical for the time period - exactly what I was hoping for!

Last I knew importcds.com ships internationally so you could try them.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Caught a few of the episodes on Youtube and enjoyed them.Plus i enjoy the acting of Jack Palance. I will be picking this set up at some point.

bronson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adrian
I would definitely recommend it, depending on your tastes. It was a blind buy for me, largely because I love that early 70's time period of police and detective shows. I have been able to watch the pilot film and first four episodes and I have found it to be very typical for the time period - exactly what I was hoping for!

Last I knew importcds.com ships internationally so you could try them.

Thanks for your reply and your tip with importcds.com.

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
I also use the Deep Discount, TCM and Screen Archives sites to ship to Australia. I have found all three offer an excellent service.

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
I'm almost done with the first disc and am enjoying the series. Episode three on my set played with no opening credits, although the credits appear on the YouTube version. Still had a running time of over 50 minutes.

EDIT: Episode three has the opening credits--it's just that when I press play, the episode starts after the credits. Hitting the chapter back button restores the counter to 0:00, and the credits play fine.

Love the commercial-break artwork on the show, reminiscent of The Wild Wild West.

Last edited:

Cowboy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
I have never seen this show but like Jack Palance.Ordered from Deep Discount for $33 shipped.

galipolis

Grip
Real Name
Klaus Dietrichs
Hello,
can someone confirm if the BRONK DVD Set is released by Warner Archive
as a manufactured factory-pressed disc set or as a burned DVD-R disc Set ?
Thanks for your help.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I changed my mind and decided to buy this DVD set, I got it in the mail yesterday and watched the first episode titled Open Contract. It was a good episode, good story although I thought Jack Palance as the lead character came across as a little underwhelming. The audio level in the episode could have been better because when the actors spoke softly it was impossible to hear what they were saying.

But I'm glad I bought this DVD set, overall I think I will enjoy the episodes and I tend to like many of these detective shows from the 70's anyway. The 70's was definitely the decade for cop shows.

Last edited:

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Following up from my previous post, the episodes on the Bronk DVD set appear to be uncut with run times coming in at 50 minutes per episode. The negative thing is that some episodes have poor sound, the audio track is soft and muffled which makes it difficult to hear what the actors are saying, it's like the actors are speaking with pillows over their faces. When I crank the volume up high on my TV, it helps a little but some of the dialog is still difficult to hear.

In comparison, the DVD's of It Takes A Thief have no audio issues, the sound is crisp and clear, it's easy to hear what the actors are saying without having to crank up the volume on the TV.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
In comparison, the DVD's of It Takes A Thief have no audio issues, the sound is crisp and clear, it's easy to hear what the actors are saying without having to crank up the volume on the TV.

And I think the same is true of many releases (not all) of CBS-owned series!

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
And I think the same is true of many releases (not all) of CBS-owned series!

The DVD's of Cannon and Petrocelli also have good audio. In fact, with Cannon, when VEI released the complete series, the seasons 2, 3, and 4 episodes have an audio level that's actually too loud. Seasons 1 and 5 have audio that's on a more normal level.

Along with Bronk, Warner Archive also released Harry O, and I noticed some of the Harry O episodes have a similar problem with soft/muffled audio. So it seems there are audio issues with some DVD sets coming from Warner Archive.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
In fact, with Cannon, when VEI released the complete series, the seasons 2, 3, and 4 episodes have an audio level that's actually too loud. Seasons 1 and 5 have audio that's on a more normal level.

Never considered that (that the first and fifth gos of Cannon would have normal-sounding audio, and the middle ones would be too loud).

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Never considered that (that the first and fifth gos of Cannon would have normal-sounding audio, and the middle ones would be too loud).

I have the first/original DVD set of Cannon that VEI released, I have the 31 disc set. Seasons 1 and 5 have a normal audio level while the audio in seasons 2, 3, and 4 are at a near blaring level, I have to turn the volume down a few notches on my TV when watching those episodes, otherwise it's too loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks