What's new

Warner Archive Blu-rays vs. iTunes HD Digitals (1 Viewer)

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
So these are never updated in iTunes??

Nope! But if we could get people to believe us, this thread wouldn't exist ;)

I think we need this thread to deal with the question of what are "these" in Osato's post.

... This is from the last Warner Archive email I received on 4/28:

...with 47 classics from Warner Archive available on iTunes for $4.99 each! ... ready to download at the touch of a button, but all of them available in 1080p HD! ...

Since they are being sold under the Warner Archive banner,...

Not only sold, but promoted on iTunes by Warner Archives, as Warner Archive titles - hence the confusion about what "these" are.

Robert explains it very clearly below, but still - those are an awful lot of conditions, spanning all prior releases of a title (disc and digital) to keep track of. And even our host Robert, with all his expertise, had to go through a lot of research before developing his formula to answer this question.

... but just remember it has to be a movie title that was originally released on Blu-ray by Warner Archive Collection. It can't have a prior Blu-ray release from Warner Home Video or Warner Bros. Home Entertainment.

And yet still - there might be the rare exception:

...but since no other HD master was available for those titles ...(Innocent Blood), naturally the HD version added to iTunes had to be the latest master....

Innocent Blood is an interesting case: First and only domestic Blu-ray release on Warner Archive. Prior to this, it was only available in SD on iTunes (as far as we know). It's now available in HD on iTunes, but it's not under the Warner Archive Collection.

Everyone reading this thread is most certainly a Warner Archives fan and supporter, but Warner Archive have created this confusion, and they're doing nothing to ameliorate it.

Our host and contributors are performing a valuable service. Thanks to all of you.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I am still waiting for HD upgrades of SPENCER'S MOUNTAIN, HOME FROM THE HILL, THE BOY FRIEND, THE ILLUSTRATED MAN. All of them were released on Blu Ray quite awhile ago. It took quite awhile for UNSINKABLE MOLLY BROWN to be upgraded to HD. Finally it is in HD.
When BILLY BUDD was released on Blu ray... on ITunes, BILLY BUDD appeared in a lackluster SD version. SUSAN SLEPT HERE was released on Blu Ray but an SD version on iTunes is only available for rental only. I am baffled as to what strategy WB uses...I'm thinking... none.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Well it looks like at least one WAC Blu-ray transfer got updated to iTunes: Jonny Quest. iTunes added the HD versions for sale. I own the SD. My SD access now appears to be the new transfers. I’m not going to pay iTunes another $25 for HD version. if I get it in HD it will probably be the Blu-rays, unless iTunes puts it on sale ridiculous cheap.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Tuesday-Thursday THE GOONIES was on iTunes in 4K and Dolby Vision. Today, Friday its back to being in HD. Very weird.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Tuesday-Thursday THE GOONIES was on iTunes in 4K and Dolby Vision. Today, Friday its back to being in HD. Very weird.
Not really, obviously, somebody at iTunes jumped the gun by about three months when the 4K disc comes out. The same thing happened with "The Wizard of Oz". I kind of expected this to happen once I read Bill Hunt's reporting that the release date is in September. It's very unfortunate, but, it happened before and it's going to happen again.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
It was an iTunes banner ad in the storefront that mistakenly had 4K on it. Casablanca was never actually in 4K on iTunes. They do that a lot with Disney titles, getting Sam all excited, and then correct the banner without the 4K emblem.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Alright fellas - I scored one for HTF ;)

As you know Warner Archives has a great podcast talking about their new releases every week. At the end of the podcast they read listener e-mails, so about a month ago I thought what the heck and sent them one of the questions we have been talking about in this thread.

And today the read and answered it!

Fire up the episode "Dazzling Doris and Debra" and go to the 39:45 mark...

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

As you know Warner Archives has a great podcast talking about their new releases every week. At the end of the podcast they read listener e-mails, so about a month ago I thought what the heck and sent them in the question we have been talking about in this thread.

listening now.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

As you know Warner Archives has a great podcast talking about their new releases every week. At the end of the podcast they read listener e-mails, so about a month ago I thought what the heck and sent them one of the questions we have been talking about in this thread.

so.....
Maybe?
Why would platforms not want to upgrade a print? Warner would charge them for the upgrade?

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
so.....
Maybe?
Why would platforms not want to upgrade a print? Warner would charge them for the upgrade?

I had the same question but at least it sounds like they do pay attention to such things.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Sounded to me like George was passing the buck, saying it is the digital platforms declining to upgrade to the new transfers. Okay, it’s good to know that Warner isn’t holding them back. I guess we need to hassle iTunes to update their files!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation239
Recent bookmarks