What's new

Warner Archive at Comic Con 2015: A Report (1 Viewer)

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
Today, George Feltenstein announced officially that Atom Ant will be released by the Warner Archive, with Secret Squirrel to follow approximately one month later.

Clue Club has completed remastering and will be released soon. An unboxing video would already be posted if they were not busy this week with Comic Con.

There is no information to impart on Looney Tunes at this time.

Mr. Feltenstein did confirm that Filmation's Tarzan and Gilligan are still being worked on. An unnamed Filmation cartoon is being prepared for release in 2016 which may be released by Warner Home Video or by the Warner Archive.

Justice League Unlimited will be released on Blu-ray as a complete series set.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Good News that Secret Squirrel will follow one month after Atom Ant although I still would have preferred the one hour combo show.

Also good news that they are still working on Tarzan and Gilligan. I can't think of any other Filmation show that they own that would be released retail other than those 2. They have already released all the Filmation DC shows.

Clue Club is not big for me but I know there are many in the HB thread that are waiting for this one. For some reason I never watched this one even though it came out during the peak of my Saturday Morning cartoon viewing.

This probably should have been posted in the Hanna Barbera thread since I am assuming that this information is coming from the WA Atom Ant and cartoon panel that was held today and is not information on all their upcoming TV releases.

mayberry66guy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Phil
I'm excited that Atom Ant and Secret Squirrel finally making it to the DVD market. However, if I am reading this update correctly, the two sets will only include the 26 individual 7-minute segments of these two characters. That leaves us without their "partner" segments: Precious Pupp, Hillbilly Bears, Squddly Diddly, and Winsome Witch. And I am not sure that any of those missing segments would have the fan base to get is own release other than possibly Squddly Diddly.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Well, I might have to take that back. If they intend to only release the two title characters and not the entire showe, that may be a deal breaker for me. I hope it's not true.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Randy Korstick said:
I can't think of any other Filmation show that they own that would be released retail other than those 2. They have already released all the Filmation DC shows.

I can think of one. 1981's Shazam! cartoon (that was part of the Kids Super Power Hour show on NBC).

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Well, I certainly hope Greg is correct. And it makes sense. As long as Warner Archive has been releasing Hanna-Barbera shows, they have never just released one segment from a show without the others, have they?

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Looking forward to Tarzan although I hope the quality improves on the one included on the Saturday Morning Toons set

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
No they haven't for Hanna Barbera but they did release Ruby Spears Plastic Man with only the plastic man cartoons. I am sure Greg is right on this one it will be Atom Ant and the 2 supporting cartoons.

Mark Y said:
Well, I certainly hope Greg is correct. And it makes sense. As long as Warner Archive has been releasing Hanna-Barbera shows, they have never just released one segment from a show without the others, have they?

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I wonder why they did that with Plastic Man. There wouldn't be any (character or trademark) ownership issues, right? What did they actually release, was it the syndicated version with the newly-added live-action intros (created for syndication IIRC)? (I wish Earl Kress was still here.)

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Mark Y said:

They certainly have for Filmation shows. Instead of Superman/Batman Hour and Superman/Aquaman Hour (where there would have certainly overlap with repeats), we got individual releases of Aquaman, Superman, and one that compiled all of the "guest cartoons" (Justice League, Green Lantern, etc).

Edit: ah, I see a distinction was made between Warner Bros. and Warner Archive. Though I'm sure they'd like to release things as complete series, when it comes down to a rights issue or major overlap, etc. I'm sure they'd rather release all of a single segment (like animated Shazam!) than to leave it unreleased.

Mark_M8

Grip
I'm going to guess the Filmation show will be the Superboy cartoons that were promised to be released a long time ago. For a while, Warner Instant Archive had about 19 available for streaming (now gone). It would be consistant with the other DC Filmation shows to release them retail.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Mark_M8 said:
I'm going to guess the Filmation show will be the Superboy cartoons that were promised to be released a long time ago. For a while, Warner Instant Archive had about 19 available for streaming (now gone). It would be consistant with the other DC Filmation shows to release them retail.

Assuming they got the rights issues worked out with the Siegel estate. I think before, though, that would have been a normal Warner Bros. release rather than from the Archive, though with the way the marketplace is changing, maybe that would now fall to WA rather than WB.

Aren't the late '60s Batman cartoons also still unreleased (as well as the aforementioned 1981 Shazam!)?

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
For the mystery filmation show they stated it could be Warner retail release or WA and they were unsure at this point. So I would think the Shazam cartoon would automatically be a WA release if the more popular live action show was. Superboy is a good guess as was The Brady Kids if they actually got the rights from Paramount.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I thought they only released a best of type set with some Hawkman and Green Lantern, etc... But not all of them. I hope this is an animated Marvel family set however.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Tory said:
I thought they only released a best of type set with some Hawkman and Green Lantern, etc... But not all of them. I hope this is an animated Marvel family set however.
I think that they released all of those cartoons. They originally were in a 2 DVD set then it was divided into 2 separate DVDs.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
AndyMcKinney said:
Assuming they got the rights issues worked out with the Siegel estate. I think before, though, that would have been a normal Warner Bros. release rather than from the Archive, though with the way the marketplace is changing, maybe that would now fall to WA rather than WB.

Aren't the late '60s Batman cartoons also still unreleased (as well as the aforementioned 1981 Shazam!)?
I think I have read all of the Superboy issues were resolved some time ago and that WA previously indicated that they would be released following The Adventures of Batman and the rest of The New Adventures of Superman (the late 60s cartoons). I previously thought that like those two, Superboy would be released by WHV, but it may be that they are having second thoughts about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks