What's new

Warner Archive Announces “Superman: The Movie” Extended Cut (1 Viewer)

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
That is an image of a previous Blu-ray cover, not the credits.

Just as RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK never had the words INDIANA JONES AND... in the opening or closing titles. That was added later as a marketing ploy. Please present a screenshot (not Photo-shopped!) of the on-screen opening title that uses SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE, and I will retract my request.

While IMDB is not the most reliable of sources, even there you will find that 1978 film's title is simply SUPERMAN.

The onscreen tile was always just Superman, but I remember the ads and marketing at the time always referred to it as "Superman: The Movie".

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
superman_trailer_c.jpg

superman_c.jpg

An interview with one of the guys who made the original title sequence: http://www.artofthetitle.com/title/superman/

They had NO IDEA how to make the titles streak like that when they got the job. Then they turned around and created the most iconic title sequence ever made.

deepscan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JP
OK guys. let's not argue about what it's called. This is about celebrating a long awaited "lost" cut of a film we haven't seen in decades so let's enjoy it.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
So just placed an order. When I submitted I got a message saying there was a problem with the order, but I did get instantly get a push notification on my iPad that the charge went through to my credit card. Of course their customer service department is closed. No email notification of my order either. So apparently they can charge my AMEX for an order that didn't go through.

hanshotfirst1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
So if I get the standard theatrical edition Blu-ray and this one, would there be anything I’d be missing from the Motion Picture Anthology set?

WillG

Senior HTF Member
So if I get the standard theatrical edition Blu-ray and this one, would there be anything I’d be missing from the Motion Picture Anthology set?

No, unless something has changed, you'd be doubling up as there is no standalone release of the theatrical cut.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Of course, I will be getting this, even though I have the footage on the previous release, but it will be nice to see it integrated. The biggest problem I see is how do I fit this into the 2006 Superman Ultimate Collection tin? It already houses the blu-ray versions that I have upgraded. None of the other editions of Superman have been as nice as that one.

Maybe I just put III and IV in paper sleeves. Both are unwatchable IMO (and have NOT been upgraded to blu-ray!).

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
So just placed an order. When I submitted I got a message saying there was a problem with the order, but I did get instantly get a push notification on my iPad that the charge went through to my credit card. Of course their customer service department is closed. No email notification of my order either. So apparently they can charge my AMEX for an order that didn't go through.

The problem with the order was you ordered "Superman", not "Superman: The Movie". :P JK, I understood the original questioning of the title. My only reason for posting the cover was that due to marketing, branding, social standards, many of us, have become accustomed to referring to the film as "Superman: The Movie". That is all.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
The onscreen tile was always just Superman, but I remember the ads and marketing at the time always referred to it as "Superman: The Movie".

Exactly, STAR WARS and RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK may have had their titles amended after their initial releases but, to those of us old enough to remember the hype and expectation of that magic Christmas of 1978 (I was 11 and it was the most exciting thing kids my age had yet seen), we will always think of it the way it was incessantly sold to us in every contemporary ad and movie tie-in (it was even trademarked that way)

superman book.jpg
superman blueprints.jpg
Superman The Movie Magazine 1979 002 (775x990) (775x990).jpg
Superman-the-Movie-soundtrack.jpg
Untitled-17.jpg
topps.jpg

Anybody who doesn't like it is either going to need to get over it or resign themselves to remaining frustrated :)

Last edited:

hanshotfirst1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
No, unless something has changed, you'd be doubling up as there is no standalone release of the theatrical cut.

Ah, so the theatrical cut and the extra disc of extras are still exclusive to the boxed set? Damn. I guess I'll have to get it then, I really don't want III and IV ;),

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Ah, so the theatrical cut and the extra disc of extras are still exclusive to the boxed set? Damn. I guess I'll have to get it then, I really don't want III and IV ;),

There is so much fantastic stuff in the set that you could still have your money's worth even if those discs never made it into your player. Though honestly, for a bad movie, IV has one of my favorite commentaries - it's with one of the film's writers, and he's remarkably candid about what went wrong. I found it to be very entertaining.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I'm not sure you have to buy the whole boxed set, but you can't buy just the theatrical cut. It comes bundled with the Special Edition and a disc or two of extras.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm looking, but I can't find a listing anywhere for the 143 minute version outside of the boxsets.

I can find a UK and Scandanavian listings from 2011 there were supposed to be released the same day as the Anthology, but no evidence it was ever released. Nothing listed in DVD Profiler, Ebay, or Amazon .

EDIT:
I did find a scandanavian UPC 5051895078631 which is supposed to be the 143 minute version, but nothing that confirms it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks