What's new

Warner Archive Announces “Superman: The Movie” Extended Cut (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I wonder if we'll ever get a Supergirl (1984) Blu-ray?

Sure, it was a terrible flop. With fairly shitty visual effects. And the entire plot revolved around getting the attention of a hot guy, soundly flunking the Bechdel Test. And much of the acting was abysmal...

But other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, did you enjoy the play?

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I wonder if we'll ever get a Supergirl (1984) Blu-ray?

I'd buy it, for sure. It's not good, but I'd buy it.

The WB Shop web site is now open for pre orders. Just pre ordered mine. Any takers???

Waiting for it to show up on Amazon - I have free shipping as part of my membership there, and the WB Shop's shipping is a little pricey. But oh yes, this will be mine!

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Question.
I have the original blu ray release.

Wasn't a new transfer completed when the film was reissued in the box set of all films?
I kind of lost track.

If there is a new transfer of the film for both cuts?

I'm planning to pick this up out of curiosity for sure.

Thanks!!

Yes, the 2011 box set of the original films and cuts stemmed from new 2K scans of the IPs.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Yes, the 2011 box set of the original films and cuts stemmed from new 2K scans of the IPs.

Vaguely recalled this but wasn't sure.
Thanks!!
I'll have to keep an eye out for a good price on the set...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Kinda random but this is as good a place as any to put it.

A couple years ago, I had one of the best days of my life, with my then-girlfriend (now wife). It was July 18th, 2015, and I had gotten U2 tickets for the band's first of eight shows in my city. They're my absolute favorite band. (And yes, I'm the kind of moron who goes to all eight.) I was bringing my girlfriend, who had never seen them before, and wasn't a big fan. She might be holding a small grudge against Bono for beginning the song "Vertigo" with the Spanish countdown "Uno, dos, tres, catorce!" - being a native Spanish speaker, that bothered her. The week of the concert, I saw that my favorite place for midnight movies was getting a 35mm print of Superman: The Movie that weekend. I had never seen Superman: The Movie in 35mm before; I had never seen it in a theater before. I asked my girlfriend if she was up for seeing the movie after the concert - she had never seen it before but always liked Christopher Reeve because of Somewhere In Time so she was tentatively in depending on how tired she was after the show.

Well, first things first, concert went great. I had just gone through some difficult family stuff and seeing my favorite band perform was such a life affirming experience. Early in the show, they played "Vertigo" and as they began, Bono first apologized to any Spanish speakers in the crowd! My girlfriend laughed and enjoyed the show from that point on. When it was over, she was still up for the movie, so we headed downtown.

I love Superman: The Movie. I've always loved Superman: The Movie. But to see it on the big screen (even if it wasn't a giant sized screen), on an actual 35mm print that was in reasonably good shape... it simultaneously felt like seeing the movie for the first time and like visiting with an old friend. The movie was as wonderful as it always was. My girlfriend loved it.

I had been thinking about proposing to her for maybe a couple months before we saw the movie, and I had started looking into rings beforehand. After that night, I was 100% sure that I was asking her to marry me. And when I did, a little more than a month later, she said yes.

(And she even watched Superman IV with me. I'm telling you, girl's a keeper.)

I actually haven't watched Superman: The Movie since that date, though normally it's one of my every year watches. I am so excited for this extended version to come out so I can revisit it the way I saw it the very first time, so many years ago.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
And really most TV cuts are just padded out with scenes that were cut for good reason in the first place.

True, but there are ofcourse those lovers of film/ certain films who don't mind such "padding" if it means spending just a little more time in that world, with those characters, etc.
:3dglasses: :3dglasses:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
That's a great story, Josh. Thanks for sharing.

I think you're right that I would like to see the TV version as a curiosity, but this film, while well-made and something that I enjoy watching, does not have anywhere near the emotional significance to me as you have just described. It's a shame the Warner Archive titles aren't available for rent, since I'd really like to see the cut before deciding whether to purchase it.

With the release date being October 3, I'm surprised they could announce this late, since that's less than two weeks from today. I already have two other new releases I'm picking up that day, so I will likely wait on this one just because I can't get everything at once.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
(And she even watched Superman IV with me. I'm telling you, girl's a keeper.)

Indeed. There isn't much good in Superman IV and if she got through it without running out the door, she's totally a keeper.

It's good for the camp value and the "how the heck did this get made," but that's about it. The music is a cut rate John Williams, effects are bargain basement and it's the last time we'd see those actors in those roles (which always hurts my heart, truly).

Maybe the furbaby and I will throw one of the classic Superman movies on tonight, just for old times sake.

Dan_Shane

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan Shane
I love Superman: The Movie. I've always loved Superman: The Movie. But to see it on the big screen (even if it wasn't a giant sized screen), on an actual 35mm print that was in reasonably good shape... it simultaneously felt like seeing the movie for the first time and like visiting with an old friend. The movie was as wonderful as it always was.

A beautiful, touching experience linked to a great film.

Now, can we quit calling it "SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE"? The correct title has always been simply "SUPERMAN", and you will not find any other title in the opening or closing credits.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
915VzBjbemL._SX466_.jpg

Here we can

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I got mine from Amazon UK.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Superman-C...1506045624&sr=1-4&keywords=superman+anthology

Region-free and only 12 pounds, or about $16US.

Beware that is the 5 disc set and is missing 2 versions of the films and a bonus disc. It doesn't have the Expanded edition of S1 or the Theatrical of S2

The 8 Disc Anthology is the better item and only a few dollars more IF you can ever catch it in stock. the Anthology has been as cheap as $10-12 shipped in the past.

Last edited:

Dan_Shane

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan Shane

That is an image of a previous Blu-ray cover, not the credits.

Just as RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK never had the words INDIANA JONES AND... in the opening or closing titles. That was added later as a marketing ploy. Please present a screenshot (not Photo-shopped!) of the on-screen opening title that uses SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE, and I will retract my request.

While IMDB is not the most reliable of sources, even there you will find that 1978 film's title is simply SUPERMAN.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
That is an image of a previous Blu-ray cover, not the credits.

Just as RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK never had the words INDIANA JONES AND... in the opening or closing titles. That was added later as a marketing ploy. Please present a screenshot (not Photo-shopped!) of the on-screen opening title that uses SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE, and I will retract my request.

While IMDB is not the most reliable of sources, even there you will find that 1978 film's title is simply SUPERMAN.
I'm sure somebody could probably compile a long list of movies that had posters with variations on the actual screen titles, starting with Sunset Blvd.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks