Warner Archive Announces “Superman: The Movie” Extended Cut

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Blimpoy06, Sep 19, 2017.

1. WillG

WillG Producer

Wait, what?!

2. Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad Screenwriter

Brad
    Jumped on it when Amazon showed only 12 copies left. Back in stock now.

Amazon sales rank now 25 (out of tens of thousands of titles).

3. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Actually, this version is the ORIGINAL edit of the film, and was completely scored by Williams, and then subsequently edited down to its theatrical running-time by the Salkinds (butchering a great deal of Williams's score in the process).

Which is why, for years afterward, the soundtrack album contained seemingly-new musical cues, but these were actually from what became the ABC TV version of the film. What we're getting here is the score almost exactly as John Williams intended us to hear it.

4. WillG

WillG Producer

Hold on here. Not that I'm questioning your honesty here but what you are saying seems to indicate that the 188 minute version was Donner's cut and that the Salkinds edited it down. I have trouble seeing how that's possible. I don't believe that Donner would have ever let the Salkinds touch his movie while he was still working on it. I get that technically it's their movie and that Donner didn't get along with them, but that seems like it would have been a nuclear level conflict (for all his merits as a filmmaker, Donner seems like he can be pretty stubborn)

5. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    It wasn't Donner's cut (as you mention, the Salkinds had full final cut), but as I understand it (from a couple of very knowledgeable fans over on CapedWonder.com and over at the Blu-Ray.com forums), it was the first refined version actually submitted to Warner Bros. for their consideration before the decision was made to ultimately trim it down even further.

Not quite a final cut, but definitely more than an assembly cut (if that makes sense). Basically Williams fully scored this version prior to it getting footage removed, which is why the music in the theatrical version seems so choppy at times. It was this version that then served as the basis for the ABC TV edition, with some further tweaking here and there.

6. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    This is not correct. Williams did not score the 3 hour version of the movie or even this edit of the movie. He scored a version that was a little longer than the final edit, but it was a cut much closer to the final version than the 3 hour version.

Some examples are the "guilty" bits in the beginning. Williams scored a longer version of that (some of that footage is in the opening of Superman II) but it's not here. Lara has dialogue in Jor-El's lab that's cut and has never been seen. The crystal ark passing the Phantom Zone is in the wrong spot. The TV version has it occur during "Trip to Earth" but the version Williams scored had that moment during the "Kryptonquake" (1:19 into that cue, note the phantom zone motif). Williams scored a longer version of The Helicopter Rescue, but that's not in any version, either.

He did score the rocket going around Superman and that moment has the music properly restored. The golf course scene was also in the version scored by Williams. This shouldn't be a surprise as "Golf Course" has always been mentioned in the end credits despite not being in the movie. Clearly that was a late deletion. But many key scenes in this long version were cut out prior to Williams scoring the movie. A good example would be the gauntlet sequence. This was already cut by the time the movie was being spotted for music.

Neil

Allansfirebird and joshEH like this.
  7. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    I stand corrected -- I was going mostly from memory, there, based on what I'd recently read over on those other forums (one of the posters was involved in the post-production process back when the Salkinds submitted their long version to ABC), and it looks like I might've gotten some of the details wrong.

8. 188 Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    WillG

WillG Producer

And again, it's not that I don't trust you but.....well I don't trust you ;). But seriously though I do still have trouble believing that Donner would have approved of a cut that long and loosely edited going to WB. It seems like something that Donner would have left the project over. It seems that by most conventional wisdom the TV version was assembled later. One minor tell of this seems the scene with teenage Clark talking with Lana. Now any good Superman fan knows that Reeve ADRed teen Clark's dialogue and it was dubbed over the Actor that played teen Clark's voice for those scenes. However when the best extra bits of dialogue pop up, Teen Clark's voice is different, as if it's the actor's own voice that was never dubbed over by Reeve. This would suggest that Reeve's ADR was done late in the process after the edit of that scene had already been locked down. Which would suggest that those bits of dialogue were never part of the initial submission you mentioned. Granted that doesn't prove much, but lends credence that that what became the TV cut was assembled later.

Mark-P, Will Krupp and Neil S. Bulk like this.
  9. deepscan

deepscan Stunt Coordinator

Jo
    A lot of you who have the new disc may notice some audio issues with the main title music mix which seems to be jumpy at times...not a fault of the disc, and obviously not your player (I hope). One of the Superman fan sites posted an article on this issue yesterday but was quickly pulled for some reason.

10. 190 Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
    Is that jumpy quality just from the splice to the end title that's always been there @2:01?

11. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

It definitely sounds like live audio from the shooting rather than ADR. To be honest, I thought the actor had quite a pleasant voice that was similar enough to Reeve's that there was no need for the ADR. I seem to remember that the original actor had no idea they had dubbed his voice until he saw the film. Must have been heartbreaking.

12. WillG

WillG Producer

Maybe his delivery wasn't working for Donner. Maybe they address it in the commentary, it's been years since I listened to it.

13. stan heck11

stan heck11 Auditioning

stan
    I like being able to watch this version in the widescreen format. I kind of think of it as an assembly cut Now this film has many things that needed to be cut because it slowed down the pacing. Most of what we see is "Extended Scenes". It is worth watching. Glad it had an official release!

14. 194 Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Camper

Camper Supporting Actor

david dennis
    In some parts there seems to be people trying to legitimize this 188 minute cut as the "real" cut or first cut considered for release, etc., etc.
    Total nonsense. This cut, while very interesting to see, would have been an absolutely lousy version to release in theaters and nobody anywhere at WB, Salkinds or Donner was stupid enough to think this version is a releasable cut. It is as padded a "kitchen sink" version as you are ever likely to see. The sheer numbers of kids who saw this in theaters was huge and they were never gonna sit thru the 3 hour+ cut of this movie. Suicidal to the box office would have been this cut.

15. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
    So how does this compare to the 2000 Director's Cut? Did that cut pick the best additions?

16. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    This cut really was designed to be played over two nights, not a single showing. It would have been nice if Warner had given the option of a split version on the disc, complete with "preview of part 2" and "scenes from part 1" bumpers.

Randy Korstick and Camper like this.
  17. WillG

WillG Producer

I don't think that's true at all. I've seen no one make any claim that this version was anything more than an alternate version. It is true that many have commented here that this was the version they first saw and for that reason they're grateful that this version got a high quality release, but no one here is arguing that it's "better" than the "official" versions.

18. Camper

Camper Supporting Actor

david dennis
    Sorry. I didn't mean in this forum. In other forums folks have been saying this cut was originally intended as a release cut and that it was cut down. It's preposterous and seemed to be a response to people who had said it was easily the worst of the 3 cuts -- which it is. There is like 3 additional minutes of Otis just walking the streets with the cops following. Some folks took offense and then supposedly found "proof" that they actually considered releasing it at over 3 hours.

19. Camper

Camper Supporting Actor

david dennis
    I think so for the most part. For sure adding the Brando scene was a good choice. For pure comic booky-ness the fire, ice and machine guns was fun, I felt the extended council scene was great and I even like the extended Smallville parts (young Lois on train and Ma Kent opening up the house in the morning) -- simply because the Smallville stuff was so short. I liked the short bit of Kal-Els ship passing the villains on it's way to Earth. I'll never understand the silly "Hollywood sign" falling on the girl scouts bit being added back.

20. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    And the suction-cup cat burglar being shown crawling up and out of the broken window. Unnecessary, but strangely interesting because it gives a little more geography to what he was doing up there before Superman let him drop.

And more Frisky! With a lesson to the little girl about the fear of heights. I liked it. The girl getting slapped for "lying" still makes me guffaw out loud.