What's new

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (7 Viewers)

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Hoping for more Elvis in this set of announcements but I'm guessing they have him on hold for a while. Maybe sales were not as good for the last offering. Also not sure why they still haven't released Forever, Darling... considering The Long Long Trailer was a big seller and remastered so perfectly.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Bigger wants for me now Side Street, Mystery Street, Invisible Stripes ( along with some more titles where the DVDs have been reported as freezing up, as even Mr. Return of Dr X froze up awhile back too.
City for Conquest, San Quentin, Kid Galahad ( 1937) would also be welcome. :)

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
Well i hope that they double that 22 and announce a 44 year old film Judy Benjamin isn't getting any younger.
Private Benjamin was a big hit when it was released. It dominated the box office during the Fall of 1980 and later spawned a TV series. I do not know why has not become a bigger draw in physical media. Hopefully it pops up on Blu-ray at some point with a new remaster.

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
Hoping for more Elvis in this set of announcements but I'm guessing they have him on hold for a while. Maybe sales were not as good for the last offering. Also not sure why they still haven't released Forever, Darling... considering The Long Long Trailer was a big seller and remastered so perfectly.
I don't think it is because of lack of interest or sales. I'm still under the assumption that it is a matter of having the best transfers available. It just may be a matter of waiting for remasters or restorations. Warner seems to be aggressive with 4k restorations. But we do not know what titles have a bigger priority than others, or what shape the elements are in.

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
I think it's really smart that WA seems to be taking a page out of Criterion's playbook and is doing 5 releases on the same date of every month. Now if they would only add booklets, nice clear cases and a Warner closet for celebrities to pick their favorites from too.
I think they learned that it is better to focus on one date also, opposed to titles being scattered throught the month like they were doing.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Private Benjamin was a big hit when it was released. It dominated the box office during the Fall of 1980 and later spawned a TV series. I do not know why has not become a bigger draw in physical media. Hopefully it pops up on Blu-ray at some point with a new remaster.
It needs a remaster desperately. I watched it several weeks ago on DVD and loved it! Brought back memories. It looks horrible on DVD though and not in the widescreen format either. But I love the TV series as well. Would be nice if they made a Private Benjamin announcement for both the film and TV series together. There were only 39 episodes of the TV series.
I don't think it is because of lack of interest or sales. I'm still under the assumption that it is a matter of having the best transfers available. It just may be a matter of waiting for remasters or restorations. Warner seems to be aggressive with 4k restorations. But we do not know what titles have a bigger priority than others, or what shape the elements are in.

As far as Elvis, they have already remastered his films and are just waiting on releasing them. I believe the rest which have not been released on BD yet have already been showing on HBO Max or whatever channel. Pardon my ignorance about where they have been showing. I'm not into streaming. Someone did report that the missing films on BD were available and that they looked spectacular. So far, all 3 of the recent releases ("World's Fair", "Spinout", "Double Trouble") are all examples of exactly how to restore a film to disc. I only assumed lack of sales because they were releasing them fairly close together but that seems to have been paused since October of last year. Hoping one of his movies might get announced this week. Pulling for "Speedway" with the great Bill Bixby and with the wonderful Gale Gordon and Nancy Sinatra. But I won't turn away from anything Elvis.

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
It needs a remaster desperately. I watched it several weeks ago on DVD and loved it! Brought back memories. It looks horrible on DVD though and not in the widescreen format either. But I love the TV series as well. Would be nice if they made a Private Benjamin announcement for both the film and TV series together. There were only 39 episodes of the TV series.

As far as Elvis, they have already remastered his films and are just waiting on releasing them. I believe the rest which have not been released on BD yet have already been showing on HBO Max or whatever channel. Pardon my ignorance about where they have been showing. I'm not into streaming. Someone did report that the missing films on BD were available and that they looked spectacular. So far, all 3 of the recent releases ("World's Fair", "Spinout", "Double Trouble") are all examples of exactly how to restore a film to disc. I only assumed lack of sales because they were releasing them fairly close together but that seems to have been paused since October of last year. Hoping one of his movies might get announced this week. Pulling for "Speedway" with the great Bill Bixby and with the wonderful Gale Gordon and Nancy Sinatra. But I won't turn away from anything Elvis.
Perhaps it is just a matter of WAC spacing out the releases of the Elvis films. July or August seem like a good time to releasing another title. They supposedly have 50 titles being prepared or release this year, so maybe there will be one soon.

Last edited:

Stargazer777

Auditioning
Real Name
Nicholas Krisfalusy
Last year I posted a list of 25 titles I suspected might show up in 2017 in the Archives releases. Only one was actually released, which surprised me, although I was happy with many of their titles.

This year, I am listing my favorite non-Blu-ray releases from Warner Bros, MGM and Allied Artists that might actually be under consideration or which I seriously want to see released, with the hope that at least 10% of them will be reach us. We'll see...I could again be way-y off.

If you hate lists, ignore this post, go about your business and enjoy your day.

WARNER BROS. TITLES
Angels With Dirty Faces
Awakening, The (1980)
Baby Doll
Black Scorpion, The
Bronco Billy
Captain Blood
Carny
Countdown (Robert Altman, 1968)
Crimson Pirate, The
Damn Yankees
Dead End
Devils, The
Femme Fatale
Fox, The
Going In Style (1979)
Heart Is A Lonely Hunter, The
I Love You Alice B. Toklas
Julius Caeser
King's Row
Land Of the Pharaohs
Last Of Sheila, The
Late Show, The
Letter, The
Life Of Emile Zola, The
Local Hero
Looker
Midsummer Night's Dream
Mister Roberts
Night Shift
Objective Burma
Oh God
O Lucky Man
Pajama Game, The
Petulia
Prince Of the City
Quick Change
Rachel Rachel
Sea Hawk, The
Straight Time
Sundowners, The
They Drive By Night
White Hunter, Black Heart

MGM
Adam's Rib
Alamo, The (United Artists, but now property of MGM)
Cameraman, The
Canterville Ghost, The
Captain Sinbad
Children of the Damned
Dark Of the Sun
Day At the Races, A
Edge Of the City
Freaks
Great Ziegfeld, The
Green Mansions
Harvey Girls, The
Ivanhoe
King Solomon's Mines (1952)
Les Girls
Libeled Lady
Lili
Mark Of the Vampire
Moulin Rouge (1952)
My Favorite Year
Naked Spur, The
National Velvet
Never So Few
Night Of the Iguana
Patch Of Blue, A
Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid
Queen Christina
Red Badge Of Courage, The
Scaramouche
Seven Brides For Seven Brothers
7 Faces Of Dr. Leo, The
Shoot the Moon
Show Boat (multiple versions)
Thin Man, The
Three Musketeers, The (1948)
tom thumb
Village Of the Damned
Whose Life Is It Anyway?
Wild Rovers, The
Young Cassidy

ALLIED ARTISTS
Big Circus, The
Billy Budd
Friendly Persuasion
Giant Behemoth, The
Macabre
Not Of This Earth (may not belong to WB)
Queen Of Outer Space
Great lists indeed!, myself being a 1950's/60's SCI FI collector, would love to see on BLU RAY:
1) IT CONQUERED THE WORLD(1956)
2) RIDERS TO THE STARS( 1954)
3) THE FLAME BARRIER(1958)
4) DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS( 1963)
5) THE CRAWLING EYE( 1958)
6) TARGET EARTH( 1954)
7) DEVIL GIRL FROM MARS( 1954)
8) KRONOS( 1957)
9) LA2017( tv movie w/ Gene Barry)
10) WHERE HAVE ALL THE PEOPLE GONE(1974) W/ PETER GRAVES
that's my dream list! Keep hoping b4 I die some of these come to blu ray!!!

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell

Perhaps it is just a matter of WAC spacing out the releases of the Elvis films. July or August seem like a good time to releasing another title. They supposedly have 50 titles being prepared or release this year, so maybe there will be one soon.
Firstly, It Happened At The World's Fair was a June 2021 release, while the other two were 2023 releases (Spinout in August and Double Trouble in October), so they aren't *quite* as close together as you think. Secondly, I think it has to do with offering more variety in terms of musicals overall. I'm saying this from the perspective that musicals are my preferred genre, and I've been watching what WAC has been releasing very vividly over the years. In general, WAC's two best years of musical releases were 2021 (about 16, if I'm counting correctly) and 2023 (about 11, I think), with most other years having about 7 (OR LESS). As such, WAC needs to have some variety with regard to their musical stars. Gene Kelly has been one of their most consistent sellers (at least one of his musicals has been released on Blu-ray through WAC every year since 2015), with Judy Garland seemingly right behind (since about 2019, as far as new-to-blu titles are concerned). Most of the other musical stars at best top out at about 2 films in a year. And when you consider that we still need some more films for the likes of Fred Astaire (no WAC releases since 2021), Doris Day (no musicals since 2021, and, apart from Judy Garland, she's the only other musical star to be represented with more than two films in the genre in a given year of WAC releases) and many others, then there is a degree to which we are only going to get just so many Elvis films. We might get one or two this year, or we might get none.

Wayne Klein

Supporting Actor
There's a reason, of course, why Criterion discs are more expensive. That's because they have those things that you want WAC to add. I'd rather they keep costs down to a minimum, as they have, by offering just the disc.
I’m fine with that as well. WA has also offered any vintage promotional pieces in the past on some titles as well as commentary tracks for more important titles (Mask of Fu Manchu) which I Do value. A great commentary track can take the place of newly produced featurettes on older titles where none of the participants are living.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
And when you consider that we still need some more films for the likes of Fred Astaire (no WAC releases since 2021), Doris Day (no musicals since 2021, and, apart from Judy Garland, she's the only other musical star to be represented with more than two films in the genre in a given year of WAC releases) and many others, then there is a degree to which we are only going to get just so many Elvis films.
I agree about Doris Day! Wish we could get one of her movies announced this week (Lucky Me or Please Don't Eat The Daisies). I just hope there is something that I like. Haven't pre-ordered a WAC release since they announced Elvis' Double Trouble last year.

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
The silence is deafening- hoping for July Announcements this afternoon!
Bored Over It GIF

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
It should be soon at any rate, it even could be next week since it will still be May .. I just hope its a good month for all of us !

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Let's not forget, we're currently waiting for July releases. Normally, this is the point where we would be waiting for JUNE releases. WAC has yet to be able to maintain announcing their releases two months ahead of time for long. ESPECIALLY with all the frequent production problems, it is inevitable that we get at least one month where we don't have ANY announcements. Whether it will be this month or not, who knows. All I'm saying is, be prepared for the possibility that we have a month without announcements (and if I'm wrong, I don't think anybody will complain).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams456
Recent bookmarks