What's new

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (6 Viewers)

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Not for me to question the wisdom of WB as they no doubt have done their bean counting, but I just can’t figure what/who is their target market for these releases.

I’d have thought their natural market would have to be the likes of us, but surely most members here would have a good number if not the majority of these titles already - especially as they look to be the same transfers as before, with only a handful of new material. The titles from these sets that we don’t already have in our collections are probably ones we were never interested in anyway.

And if it’s not for the likes of us, then who is being targeted?

I’m not the least bit interested in purchasing any of these boxsets.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Presumably, boxsets of this sort are meant to lure more casual movie lovers and/or reach/find new ones... except the vast majority of them are probably no longer interested (enough) in physical media nowadays. These kinds of releases made more sense maybe 10-15 years ago (or earlier), but probably not now me thinks.

_Man_

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
All the films in their library and they could not do a set of unreleased titles?
If they did a set of unreleased titles you can be sure people would complain they were not released individually as has happened with every Columbia Classics box set. There still should be plenty of individual titles released by the archive this year. To which the majority of people on this board will write nothing for me and I am happy for the people who wanted these films. These anniversary box sets have always been of previous releases so this was no surprise. I, like others here, have the films I want that are included in these sets. I probably won't buy any of them.

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
If they did a set of unreleased titles you can be sure people would complain they were not released individually as has happened with every Columbia Classics box set. There still should be plenty of individual titles released by the archive this year. These anniversary box sets have always been of previous releases so this was no surprise. I, like others here, have the films I want that are included in these sets. I probably won't buy any of them.
Meanwhile Adv Of Robin Hood still missing in 4K

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Got excited for one moment over the WB 100th 25 Film Collection, Vol. 3 Fantasy, Action and Adventure Blu-ray set but just more of the same old recycled crap and absolutely nothing from the golden or silver age catalogues. Should have known better. What a thrill it would have been with even one or two of the neglected classics rotting in their vaults. I would have dropped the $99 for the set if Scaramouche or Helen of Troy alone found their way there. There's far more promise for the still to be announced Fox/Mill Creek BD collections which will probably have many delicious surprises. Can't wait for those (if the Rita Hayworth set was any indication)!

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
They could have surprised us with a set of all new titles, a Warner archives box set; but they are just repackaging the titles they have at the ready. And none of them are Archive titles.

How about a box set of Best Pictures and Nominees? Include Archive titles, and I think it would be a better seller than the announced “Award winners” set, imho. It’s not everyone’s niche, but I’d buy it if it even had one new title.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Trivia --- what was the first WB nitrate their MPI scanned? 2006 === Gentleman Jim. So would they need to scan that again for blu ray -- and will that be this year release?

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Warner Bros has done 2 mostly new blu ray sets in the past that I can think of. The Golden Year 1939 and a 1950's musical set. The 1939 set contained the previously released Gone With Wind and the musical set contained the many times released Singin' In The Rain.
There were lots of complaints about buying something they already had to get the new stuff.
Perhaps they did not sell as well as Warner has hoped.
Apparently the 1939 set was also going to include "The Wizard of Oz" as there is a cover of the set on a WB site the includes the Wizard on the cover.
1676279325146.png

1676278764578.png

1676278601465.png

Last edited:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
The only set I would buy at present is the Thin Man series as I currently only own Goes Home on blu ray as it is my favourite. A set could be sweetened by the inclusion of some episodes of the tv series.
Except these sets are being released by WHV and WAC is the one that released The Thin Man series and WAC rarely releases a box set as it doesn't fit their model.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Except these sets are being released by WHV and WAC is the one that released The Thin Man series and WAC rarely releases a box set as it doesn't fit their model.
The Hitchcock ,Film Noir, and Horror sets were great but released after the individual movies included. I would have preferred the 4 film sets were released first. I suspect the only
way to please everyone is to have individual and box set released concurrently.
1676307186414.png

1676306754518.png
1676306644361.png

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
What is your DREAM set if WAC could release a CLASSIC set of unreleased 1930s-40s films?

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
What is your DREAM set if WAC could release a CLASSIC set of unreleased 1930s-40s films?
Astaire and Rogers
Top Hat
Shall We Dance
Roberta
Follow The Fleet

Swing Time my favorite has already been released.

Clark Gable
Test Pilot
Red Dust
Idiot's Delight
Too Hot To Handle

TCM used to show "Idiot's Delight " with the International ending added as an extra after the US version completed. The last time I watched it, TCM did not show the extra. I wonder if they have a new transfer which excluded the extra. I believe the international version was closer the to original play.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks