What's new

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (4 Viewers)

mskaye

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Wonder if such "streaming" would/could include digital sales (which are really just sales of leased rights to watch the content)?

Personally, I don't really need discs of (most) shows -- I really don't want the extra storage requirement (in most cases) nor the relative inconvenience for binging or random watching purposes, so digitals for such usually work just perfectly for me. IF/when I do own discs for shows, I often just end up rewatching the digital copies (after the 1st time) instead, if they're included...

_Man_

PS: Before anyone argues anything about disc vs streaming because of what I just said, I do own tons of discs already (though, of course, not nearly as much as a few others on HTF, LOL) and am not against disc ownership/collection in general at all... and do continue to buy discs more or less as before, but have added streaming (both subscription-based and digital purchases and redemptions) to my plate the last couple years or so... :P
FYI, The ODD COUPLE when you view it for free on PLUTO TV, has all these music/singing cuts intact to my knowledge. Must be something in the contract about broadcasting these syndicated episodes on "commercial" television (with ads) that allows the complete originals to be played. They were only butchered for DVD and I think when on Hulu. Need to confirm.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
FYI, The ODD COUPLE when you view it for free on PLUTO TV, has all these music/singing cuts intact to my knowledge. Must be something in the contract about broadcasting these syndicated episodes on "commercial" television (with ads) that allows the complete originals to be played. They were only butchered for DVD and I think when on Hulu. Need to confirm.
When they originally aired home vid was not thought of so they now need to clear the rights - look at how foolish things get - Addams Family - Morticia sings a line "It's so nice to have a thing around the house" and they refused to clear the rights to "It's so nice to have a man around the house"

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
The Odd Couple is a CBS/Paramount property and viewable on P+.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
When they originally aired home vid was not thought of so they now need to clear the rights - look at how foolish things get - Addams Family - Morticia sings a line "It's so nice to have a thing around the house" and they refused to clear the rights to "It's so nice to have a man around the house"
And they never cleared the one line from I think "White Christmas" from the season 1 Mary Tyler Moore Christmas episode.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Here is the original Mary Tyler Moore White Christmas someone filmed off their TV screen so not the best quality.

Here is the almost full episode with how the scene was cut. A few words from White Christmas make it into the scene. Maybe that is all that is permitted without paying for it. Per the above video there are a few versions of this episode including the song being completely replaced .

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Fox vid - they were the ones that refused to clear Addams Family - wish WAC would clear Ruff and Reddy and Quick Draw
To me shows like Quick Draw McGraw and Huckelberry Hound will never be complete without the built in Kellogg's ad in the opening titles. The chicken jumping out of the Corn Flakes box is what I remember most about the Huckelberry Hound Show being 4 at the time.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
To me shows like Quick Draw McGraw and Huckelberry Hound will never be complete without the built in Kellogg's ad in the opening titles. The chicken jumping out of the Corn Flakes box is what I remember most about the Huckelberry Hound Show being 4 at the time.
I never hear Clementine the same wat since, LOL!!

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
And it's not just disc--if you've ever watched Carson or Cavett reruns on the nostalgia channels, you'll notice that all the musical performances have been deleted. I recently watched a Carson in which Mel Brooks did his famous bit about singing "Dancing in the Dark" in the Catskills. The entire set-up was there, but then there was an edit to Johnny laughing and saying "We'll be right back"--the song itself had been cut, even though he only sang about one chorus.

And not just TV series. Turner Classic Movies used to (and probably still does, but I haven't watched it in a while) air a lot of studio shorts from the Golden Age. One of the shorts they used to air was "Army-Navy Screen Magazine" #20 (a.k.a. "Strictly G.I."), a filmed performance one of a series of radio shows hosted by Bob Hope that were done for service members. In this particular one, Judy Garland appears singing "Over the Rainbow", and Betty Hutton sings ""Murder, He Says" (and Lana Turner fries a steak. :blink: ). It runs about 12½ minutes. This short appears on two Bob Hope DVDs released by Universal, but it's only half as long, because it leaves out those two musical numbers. I'm glad I have five recordings of the full-length version.

There was another ANSM short (#48) that appears on two other Hope DVDs, but that one was never aired on TCM (at least, back when I was taping things off TCM). Since the DVD version is only about 5 minutes long, I assume it was a cut version as well.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I was surprised Parrish (1961) with Troy Donohue and Claudette Colbert (last film appearence) was broadcast on TCM at 4:3 instead of 1:85 or whatever it was supposed to be. Not sure if open mat or pan and scan . The DVD R Warner Archive disc is also listed as 4:3. Has it ever been released in it's proper aspect ratio? That is a film that needs a new master apparently.
I watched the DVD last night and the ratio is 1:1.75. The disc sleeve says: WIDESCREEN VERSION PRESENTED IN A "MATTED" WIDESCREEN FORMAT PRESERVING THE ASPECT RATIO OF ITS ORIGINAL THEATRICAL EXHIBITION. ENHANCED FOR WIDESCREEN TVS.

The picture quality is very much that of a DVD transfer. I enjoy the film a lot and I hope Warner go back to the original camera negative, do a 4k scan and release this title on Blu-ray. I can't imagine the OCN has been worked hard over the years but Harry Stradling's soft focus photography will require some tender loving care.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I was surprised Parrish (1961) with Troy Donohue and Claudette Colbert (last film appearence) was broadcast on TCM at 4:3 instead of 1:85 or whatever it was supposed to be. Not sure if open mat or pan and scan . The DVD R Warner Archive disc is also listed as 4:3. Has it ever been released in it's proper aspect ratio? That is a film that needs a new master apparently.

Parrish was one of four films in a Troy Donahue box-set released in the hey-day of DVD. I'll check that DVD tonight and report back tomorrow.
1674827179940.png

Like Robin stated in a later post, the 2009 DVD box set has Parrish in widescreen.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched the DVD last night and the ratio is 1:1.75. The disc sleeve says: WIDESCREEN VERSION PRESENTED IN A "MATTED" WIDESCREEN FORMAT PRESERVING THE ASPECT RATIO OF ITS ORIGINAL THEATRICAL EXHIBITION. ENHANCED FOR WIDESCREEN TVS.

The picture quality is very much that of a DVD transfer. I enjoy the film a lot and I hope Warner go back to the original camera negative, do a 4k scan and release this title on Blu-ray. I can't imagine the OCN has been worked hard over the years but Harry Stradling's soft focus photography will require some tender loving care.
Yup, 1.75 looks to be the aspect ratio for Parrish. I grew up watching that movie on Channel 7 (ABC) out of NYC at 4:30 p.m. This movie 137 minutes long so I guess they split it over two days with commercials. I'm sure some film cuts were made too.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If Paramount can't release the insanely popular - and as vocal a fanbase - The Odd Couple tv series properly because of music rights issues, than no series can. The reputation andas influential, successful creator as Garry Marshall couldn't make Paramount do the right thing. So yes, let's move on.
Yes, I think this thread has discussed the music rights issue enough regarding TV series. I think it's time to move on until Warner Archive gives us some indication that they're revisiting their TV shows.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
MGM, actually, I think. They released The Addams Family on DVD as both season sets and Complete Series. Fox acted as distributor, but I believe MGM still made the content decisions.

Yes, I think this thread has discussed the music rights issue enough regarding TV series. I think it's time to move on until Warner Archive gives us some indication that they're revisiting their TV shows.
Release date I'll Cry Tomorrow and Camille 3/7/2023

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

This is the best I have seen of a Quick Draw McGraw opening with the Kelloggs ad.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks