What's new

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (7 Viewers)

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I love the early Goldwyn Danny Kaye films far more than anything he did after with Secret Life, Wonderman and Kid From Brooklyn being my favorite Kaye films.. Would love all 3 on Blu Ray.
Doubt if Warner will do anything else with the Goldwyns --- still cannot believe they did not correct The Bishops Wife BUT I PRAISE Warners all the time but 69.00 for the film on blu ray!

Last edited:

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Doubt if Warner will do anything else with the Goldwyns --- still cannot believe they did not correct The Bishops Wife

Well, as I understand it, Warner is pretty much at the mercy of the Goldwyn Estate in regards to those films. In a past podcast, Mr. Feltenstein mentioned that the Estate won’t let them touch the film elements for the Goldwyn films on account that they prefer to do the restoration work themselves.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Well, as I understand it, Warner is pretty much at the mercy of the Goldwyn Estate in regards to those films. In a past podcast, Mr. Feltenstein mentioned that the Estate won’t let them touch the film elements for the Goldwyn films on account that they prefer to do the restoration work themselves.
The deal was signed in 2012 as as some pointed out here who knows if it is even in effect

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Right, Warner had a distribution deal, but that doesn't mean they have clear access to the film elements. I wonder if that distribution deal is still active.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
EXCLUSIVE UPDATE

Good Morning, Everyone!

I know all of you have been anticipating an announcement from Warner concerning their November releases.

I received communication within the past hour from George Feltenstein who wanted to provide an update for everyone:

There will be no WAC new releases in November. Rather than have everyone waiting and guessing what the new November titles will be, I thought it made sense to communicate this to you, and ask that you pass this message on publicly through HTF, if you so desire. This year has been a disappointment in terms our number of releases due to many internal issues within the company. That's the bad news.

Now, the good news: Although we often have skipped December releases in the past, we will have two new releases early this December, and they couldn't be more different. Both are new HD masters from 4K scans off the original camera negatives. They are ATTACK OF THE 50 FT. WOMAN (1958) and THE NIGHT OF THE IGUANA (1964). Then, come 2023, the WAC releases currently in the works number over 50 new film titles, and there will be more BD classic animation and hopefully some new TV content. 2023 will look much more like 2021 did, with a plethora of exciting releases.

I'm sending this to you, as I want our consumers to know what's going on, and I thought you could post about this and it would serve to get the word out.
This statement is very welcome and with THE NIGHT OF THE IGUANA, it closes the books on 2022 on a high note.

So moving forward.....will the initial 2023 announcements be made in December or January?
(I can already hear some eyes roll, but eventually someone would ask.)

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
This statement is very welcome and with THE NIGHT OF THE IGUANA, it closes the books on 2022 on a high note.

So moving forward.....will the initial 2023 announcements be made in December or January?
(I can already hear some eyes roll, but eventually someone would ask.)
Let's just be grateful for the upcoming releases, the VERY new announcements and let's deal with 2023 in 2023.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Right, Warner had a distribution deal, but that doesn't mean they have clear access to the film elements. I wonder if that distribution deal is still active.
With Goldwyn Jr passed wonder if any of the Goldwyn family care about their heritage such a great library Mr F loves film hope he sees this and can let us know if their agreement is still on

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I would love to see the Warner Archive releasing a 4K UHD of Doctor Zhivago one of David Lean’s greatest epics
Columbia did a fabulous job on Lawrence of Arabia so hopefully Warner’s who own the rights to Dr Zhivago can revisit this masterpiece of filmmaking.

We're not likely to see it coming from Warner Archive. UHDs are released by Warner Home Video (or is it "Home Entertainment"? Whatevs.) Some UHDs are marketed through Warner Archive for reasons that aren't clear (to me, anyway) but aren't actually produced as WAC titles.

I'd be very surprised if (a) Doctor Zhivago was released on UHD by WAC, and (b) if it wasn't at least in the thinking-about stages for UHD release by Warner Home Video.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
We're not likely to see it coming from Warner Archive. UHDs are released by Warner Home Video (or is it "Home Entertainment"? Whatevs.) Some UHDs are marketed through Warner Archive for reasons that aren't clear (to me, anyway) but aren't actually produced as WAC titles.

I'd be very surprised if (a) Doctor Zhivago was released on UHD by WAC, and (b) if it wasn't at least in the thinking-about stages for UHD release by Warner Home Video.
They're not officially WAC releases, but George Feltenstein is still involved with those classic UHD releases by Warner Home Video.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
They're not officially WAC releases, but George Feltenstein is still involved with those classic UHD releases by Warner Home Video.
Think WB is busy on Ben Hur and GWTW for 2024 MGMS 100th cannot see them in 2023 as even though MGM films get blu ray 2023 focus might classic Warners, I haven't heard any real interest in Dr Z yet from many here the films anniversary is 2015 so maybe then?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Regarding MGM's 100th Anniversary in 2024. I hope they include "Irving Thalberg: Prince of Hollywood" (2005) as a bonus feature on one of those MGM releases come 2024. An excellent documentary that George Feltenstein is listed as one of its Executive Producers. George, there is no hubris in having it as bonus material even in SD for one of those MGM releases.

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
Regarding MGM's 100th Anniversary in 2024. I hope they include "Irving Thalberg: Prince of Hollywood" (2005) as a bonus feature on one of those MGM releases come 2024. An excellent documentary that George Feltenstein is listed as one of its Executive Producers. George, there is no hubris in having it as bonus material even in SD for one of those MGM releases.
That would be a welcome bonus. I've never seen it, but enjoy retrospective documentaries. I assume it has never had a DVD/ blu ray release anywhere previously?

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
Doubt if Warner will do anything else with the Goldwyns --- still cannot believe they did not correct The Bishops Wife BUT I PRAISE Warners all the time but 69.00 for the film on blu ray!
The Bishop's Wife. If memory serves, the blu ray came out and there was a very short sequence where the scene repeated itself. Warners did issue a corrected disc. I know, as I have both the original faulty disc and the replacement. Is this fault you are referring to?

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
So many classics, so little time. I'm aging rapidly. Would love to see Marie Antoinette, Romeo and Juliet, The Prisoner of Zenda (1937), Goodbye Mr. Chips (1939), Scaramouche, Bathing Beauty, Holiday in Mexico, That Midnight Kiss, Royal Wedding, The Student Prince, When Ladies Meet, The White Cliffs of Dover, Executive Suite, and, Random Harvest scratched off my bucket list before I die.

PS - wouldn't hurt the transmigration of my soul if WAC somehow came around to a new master of Around the World in 80 Days, Ryan's Daughter, Doctor Zhivago and Gone with the Wind in 4K too. Just saying.

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
So many classics, so little time. I'm aging rapidly. Would love to see Marie Antoinette, Romeo and Juliet, The Prisoner of Zenda (1937), Goodbye Mr. Chips (1939), Scaramouche, Bathing Beauty, Holiday in Mexico, That Midnight Kiss, Royal Wedding, The Student Prince, When Ladies Meet, The White Cliffs of Dover, Executive Suite, and, Random Harvest scratched off my bucket list before I die.

PS - wouldn't hurt the transmigration of my soul if WAC somehow came around to a new master of Around the World in 80 Days, Ryan's Daughter, Doctor Zhivago and Gone with the Wind in 4K too. Just saying.
Yes. Can't disagree with any of your sentiments. Or film choices. Although Random Harvest would have to be top of my list.
There is a dilemma for Warners. Varying accounts of the number of films it owns ( just looking at Warners, MGM and RKO); but it is in the thousands. There is talk of 50 odd titles being worked on for 2023 which is fantastic news. I may not buy 50, but I am sure there will many I want.
However, with the rate of 50 a year and the sheer number of films under Warners' control, it is never going to happen that we get anywhere near all the titles on blu ray. So, if like me, you have Random Harvest sitting on a shelf, do you watch it on DVD or wait another year for the far superior blu ray?

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Yes. Can't disagree with any of your sentiments. Or film choices. Although Random Harvest would have to be top of my list.
There is a dilemma for Warners. Varying accounts of the number of films it owns ( just looking at Warners, MGM and RKO); but it is in the thousands. There is talk of 50 odd titles being worked on for 2023 which is fantastic news. I may not buy 50, but I am sure there will many I want.
However, with the rate of 50 a year and the sheer number of films under Warners' control, it is never going to happen that we get anywhere near all the titles on blu ray. So, if like me, you have Random Harvest sitting on a shelf, do you watch it on DVD or wait another year for the far superior blu ray?
Top of the list without question…. And you watch it now, and in a year if we’re so lucky

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    blitz
    Recent bookmarks