What's new

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (32 Viewers)

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
In previous podcasts George Feltenstein said he'd long ago learned his lesson about mentioning titles that were somewhere in the pipeline but with work not yet completed because such things were immediately greeted with a continuing avalanche of “When? When? When? Huh? When, c'mon when? Huh? Huh?” from the trenches. Unforeseen circumstances - technical issues with film elements, for example - can arise and delay things but as we so often see, when the hardcore hears of something they want, they want it NOW. (I hasten to add that those characterizations of fandom are mine, not Mr. Feltenstein's.)

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
In previous podcasts George Feltenstein said he'd long ago learned his lesson about mentioning titles that were somewhere in the pipeline but with work not yet completed because such things were immediately greeted with a continuing avalanche of “When? When? When? Huh? When, c'mon when? Huh? Huh?” from the trenches. Unforeseen circumstances - technical issues with film elements, for example - can arise and delay things but as we so often see, when the hardcore hears of something they want, they want it NOW.

I am happy that you brought this up.

We did many online chats back in the early 2000s with George and he was very generous about mentioning titles in the pipeline. Of course, issues arise where the project is delayed or completely scrapped due to, as you mentioned, "unforeseen circumstances."

What resulted was a rash of negative comments throughout this forum with some members crying, "he promised us..."

Not only did George learn a lesson but other studio reps who agreed to do chats with us were very careful about announcing titles that were in the pipeline but may very well never make it to see the light of day.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I am happy that you brought this up.

We did many online chats back in the early 2000s with George and he was very generous about mentioning titles in the pipeline. Of course, issues arise where the project is delayed or completely scrapped due to, as you mentioned, "unforeseen circumstances."

What resulted was a rash of negative comments throughout this forum with some members crying, "he promised us..."

Not only did George learn a lesson but other studio reps who agreed to do chats with us were very careful about announcing titles that were in the pipeline but may very well never make it to see the light of day.
Thanks to you and Mr C for sharing the podcasts -- Mr F has been truthful always and we should trust him -- it is also Summer break vacation time except for Mr Insider who will post this weekend! To bad Mr F doesn't do that every so often!

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
They announced Ace Ventura Pet Detective and some other title I never heard of - posted on the elsewhere forum
Are you sure? I saw those too, but I question if those weren't a joke or something. I mean, people didn't really latch onto that "news" like they normally would, and that other forum hasn't had any news story declaring them as such (nor has anywhere else that I know of, including here, which would be odd since those were "posted" several days ago).

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
In general, I'm going to go with those saying not to worry yet. I mean, I feel like its been long enough that some here have forgotten what "normal" is for WAC. Like several others have mentioned, for most of WAC's history, they would announce the titles the month before they are released (i.e., we would get the July titles announced in June, the August titles in July, etc.). This business of finding out about the titles almost a month quicker than that has mainly been a regular thing since George Feltenstein's return (and I wonder if a lot of these are titles that they actually had ready quicker but needed to release at a slower pace while they got things back to going again).

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Are you sure? I saw those too, but I question if those weren't a joke or something. I mean, people didn't really latch onto that "news" like they normally would, and that other forum hasn't had any news story declaring them as such (nor has anywhere else that I know of, including here, which would be odd since those were "posted" several days ago).

I do not believe those are officially announced WAC titles for August

My opinion is that we are just witnessing a temporary slowdown in the pipeline as has been discussed previously.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
No announcements in June is not slowdown. It stopped.
What’s worse is that lack of communication and what communication there is is a vague and cryptic.
Okay, let's be realistic about this, shall we? The official announcement of Mr. Feltenstein's original departure came several months after he already knew they were winding down the program.

In that brief interim, he fast-tracked a slew of catalog releases that were meant to be spread over the course of a year, cramming the next few months with 5-7 titles to pump out whatever remained in the hopper, believing WAC was through. So, whatever surplus they had was let loose on the market just before Mr. F turned the key in the door for what he thought was the last time.

Important to note - those projects were not greenlit in the last 6 months of Mr. F's original tenure with WAC. They were probably a year to two years in the planning and in the works by the time the purge began.

Then, a turn of events. Surprise! Surprise! New management. Different ideas. So, Mr. F wasn't through. Thank heaven...and not just for little girls! Problem. No stuff in the hopper. No stuff slated for 4K scans and restorations. No nothing.

Folks, you can't just turn a switch and have all the pistons instantly firing in unison again. I am certain, Mr. F and his newly amalgamated crew are hard at work getting new product ready for distribution. But again, it takes time. You think 6 months is enough of a turn-around to make all those dreams come true? Guess again. By Christmas we should start to see WAC returning to normal - maybe by October. Anything before then is a pipe dream and a wish and a dream that your heart makes.

Get a grip. It's happening. It's coming. Maybe not as soon as some would like, but coming just the same!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
jenn-jenn-robbins.gif

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Okay, let's be realistic about this, shall we? The official announcement of Mr. Feltenstein's original departure came several months after he already knew they were winding down the program.

In that brief interim, he fast-tracked a slew of catalog releases that were meant to be spread over the course of a year, cramming the next few months with 5-7 titles to pump out whatever remained in the hopper, believing WAC was through. So, whatever surplus they had was let loose on the market just before Mr. F turned the key in the door for what he thought was the last time.

Important to note - those projects were not greenlit in the last 6 months of Mr. F's original tenure with WAC. They were probably a year to two years in the planning and in the works by the time the purge began.

Then, a turn of events. Surprise! Surprise! New management. Different ideas. So, Mr. F wasn't through. Thank heaven...and not just for little girls! Problem. No stuff in the hopper. No stuff slated for 4K scans and restorations. No nothing.

Folks, you can't just turn a switch and have all the pistons instantly firing in unison again. I am certain, Mr. F and his newly amalgamated crew are hard at work getting new product ready for distribution. But again, it takes time. You think 6 months is enough of a turn-around to make all those dreams come true? Guess again. By Christmas we should start to see WAC returning to normal - maybe by October. Anything before then is a pipe dream and a wish and a dream that your heart makes.

Get a grip. It's happening. It's coming. Maybe not as soon as some would like, but coming just the same!
An excellent post!

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
More reasons for optimism:

David Zaslav, the new head of Warner Bros. Discovery, is widely acknowledged to respect film history. At a town hall meeting with staff, he reportedly referenced the first names of the Warner Brothers, and the merged company's new tag line was taken from "The Maltese Falcon."

Mr. Feltenstein has repeatedly said that Warner Bros, has embarked on a "preservation on steroids" program to protect its vast library. One might logically assume that they will be using HBO Max, TCM, and Warner Archive to help monetize these efforts.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
In the admittedly unlikely event George Feltenstein were to return to live-chat forums, I would have two things to say to him:

1) We all very much appreciate your efforts over the years. You have been one of a small handful of the most consequential executives in the home-media industry.

2) My only "when" question: When will you pick up the phone and call the folks at 3D Film Archive about helping you monetize -- profitably -- that untapped treasure trove of WB and RKO '50s 3D titles.....?

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
In the admittedly unlikely event George Feltenstein were to return to live-chat forums, I would have two things to say to him:

1) We all very much appreciate your efforts over the years. You have been one of a small handful of the most consequential executives in the home-media industry.

2) My only "when" question: When will you pick up the phone and call the folks at 3D Film Archive about helping you monetize -- profitably -- that untapped treasure trove of WB and RKO '50s 3D titles.....?
I'm not sure how many of you work within large corporate structures (especially within the entertainment industry.) Communication is rigorously controlled and a part of larger strategies. I have (and do) work for one and someone like George F would not be able to engage freely on forums unless everything he was going to speak about was pre-vetted by a larger communications team. What George feels comfortable discussing is done on that podcast. That seems to be a sanctioned outlet for discussing new releases and anything else he wants to tease as far as future releases.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'm not sure how many of you work within large corporate structures (especially within the entertainment industry.) Communication is rigorously controlled and a part of larger strategies. I have (and do) work for one and someone like George F would not be able to engage freely on forums unless everything he was going to speak about was pre-vetted by a larger communications team. What George feels comfortable discussing is done on that podcast. That seems to be a sanctioned outlet for discussing new releases and anything else he wants to tease as far as future releases.

Another great post today!

This is absolutely true.

The days of us doing the kind of chats we did 20 years ago are long gone.

I think Podcasts are a great way to get information out to the fanbase

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
They are probably July releases. August will be announced at the end of July - isnt that how it is with them? One month in advance.
Also the other title is Ballistic Ecks vs Sever

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
They announced Ace Ventura Pet Detective and some other title I never heard of - posted on the elsewhere forum

99.9% sure those were meant to be joke posts just based on the 2 items chosen. They even had mockups of the covers with the WAC banner. As far as I can tell there has never been a WAC bannered title from 2000+ and very few with 1990 release dates. There are several TV, 3D, and others from 2000 on but none have the Banner at the top and probably should be considered in a different category than the Archive Collection.

Last edited:

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
My biggest Holy Grails for Blu-ray:
Remaining Mickey and Judy films
Remaining Fred and Ginger films

then I can die a happy man.
I know, I know that Warners has 1000s of titles, controlling Warner, MGM and RKO (and others). But, if you had told me 15 years ago ( is it 15 since blu ray began?), that only 1 Fred and Ginger would be available on blu ray, I would have found it hard to believe.
However, I get it. There is so much wealth in Warners' vaults that not everything is ever going to be released on blu ray.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Thinking about it, there's only a couple of b/w films I really want. I hope I'm not sounding too superficial when I admit that I far prefer the colour stuff, esp. from the fifties.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks