What's new

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (10 Viewers)

M90GM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JUSTIN
Here we go again .. with dozens of "A" titles remaining in the cans ...the October upgrades to blu ray include three B/W films from the early 1930's. Mary Stevens MD from WB (1933 72min and rated poorly) there must surely be anxious buyers awaiting this release ...unlikely! MGM's Mad Love with Peter Lorre from 1935 at 68 min. Then the quality "A" M-G-M title Dinner at Eight 1933. Plus the box office "bomb" Eye of the Devil from 1968 M-G-M's "dark" run down period ...the format is gradually reducing in public acceptance so it is becoming more unlikely that we will see blu ray upgrades of the many great true M-G-M classics ranging from B/W's (Chips, Dr Jekyll, Random Harvest, Boom Town, 30 secs Tokyo, Valley of Decision, Courageous, Boys Town, Blackboard Jungle, Executive Suite, Something of Value, I'll Cry Tomorrow) , ....and the color "hits" - National Velvet, Three Musketeers, Little Women, Mogambo, Scaramouche, Ivanhoe, Zenda, Barkleys Broadway, Young Bess, Long Long Trailer, Lili, Two Weeks with Love) & newer Stereo & Scope Student Prince, Interrupted Melody, High Society Ryan's Daughter, Raintree County (?) ...just for starters! It appears the demand for true "classic" quality is weakening quickly....so need be grateful for the amazing job they have on the many quality releases to date....

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
National Velvet was announced only a few days ago along with some other choice items including The Last of Sheila. I long for Two Weeks with Love, Captains Courageous and Random Harvest amond many others, and am optimistic ... as long as I live long enough. And since I'm definitely going to die and just not just 'pass' to somewhere unknown, Warners had better get its skates on.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Oh, please! Here we go again, indeed! The Warner Archives blu ray program isn't all about YOU! It seems it's a no win situation for Warners. No matter what they release, someone is going to whine! "Oh, no! not another musical!", "I never even heard of this movie!", "Why are they releasing junk like XYZ when they have gems like ABC gathering dust in their vault?", "What? Another month with no best picture nominees?", etc. etc. etc.

For your information, they are a lot of Kay Francis fans here (and I'm among them) who are delighted to have her films on blu ray. As for Eye Of The Devil, horror films sell and pretty certain it would sell more copies than a creaky operetta like The Student Prince!

Not everyone shares your taste and it's not about you or me! There are a lot of movies I don't care for. I don't give a rat's arse about the upcoming blu rays of Disney's Make Mine Music and Melody Time but you don't see me whining in that thread about Disney not releasing The Moon Spinners, Third Man On The Mountain or A Light In The Forest instead.

Last edited:

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
Oh, please! Here we go again, indeed! The Warner Archives blu ray program isn't all bout YOU! It seems it's a no win situation for Warners. No matter what they release, someone is going to whine! "Oh, no! not another musical!", "I never even heard of this movie!", "Why are they releasing junk like XYZ when they have gems like ABC gathering dust in their vault?", "What? Another month with no best picture nominees?", etc. etc. etc.

For your information, they are a lot of Kay Francis fans here (and I'm among them) who are delighted to have her films on blu ray. As for Eye Of The Devil, horror films sell and pretty certain it would sell more copies than a creaky operetta like The Student Prince!

Not everyone shares your taste and it's not about you or me! There are a lot of movies I don't care for. I don't give a rat's arse about the upcoming blu rays of Disney's Make Mine Music and Melody Time but you don't see me whining in that thread about Disney not releasing The Moon Spinners, Third Man On The Mountain or A Light In The Forest instead.

Thank you, Thomas T !

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yup, there's been plenty of posts about this (& I've put in my two penneth worth a few times), but it's a blind alley: Warner will release what they release, & if it's something you want, you'll buy it.

Looking forward to The Last Of Sheila. :)

(pre-ordered to the UK, but with tax changes...£25 (ouch!).

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am not sure why an entirely new topic had to be created for October releases as this was already discussed in the current Warner Announcements thread

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
I am not sure why an entirely new topic had to be created for October releases as this was already discussed in the current Warner Announcements thread

Should it be locked, then?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Should it be locked, then?
Great points, therefore, I moved the posts to this thread.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Me either. I have just barely heard of it.
It's well worth watching. No-one's mentioned it so far, but the eponymous Sheila, seen only in the opening sequence, is played by Yvonne Romain.

I very much hope, and pretty well expect, that the splendid audio commentary provided on the DVD-R will be on the Blu-ray disc too.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Not everyone shares your taste and it's not about you or me! There are a lot of movies I don't care for.
Not to mention that one's pocketbook needs a rest now and then. I've already purchased 136 movies on Blu-ray this year, and have another 125 in my Amazon wish list. Thankfully, there are many films being released that I'm not interested in buying. I don't have time to watch, let alone afford, the ones I do want to buy.
---------------

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Me either. I have just barely heard of it.
Ha, I could say that for about half of the Archive releases (& I've never heard of some of those 30s releases). I can only remember seeing The Last of Sheila once, many years ago on an obscure cable TV channel (it's one of a great many films that just never shows up on TV). It's a neat little whodunit with a very good cast & dialogue. My main reason for buying it is that I'm a big fan of James Coburn (the coolest Hollywood star ever) & he's great in this.

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
Yup, there's been plenty of posts about this (& I've put in my two penneth worth a few times), but it's a blind alley: Warner will release what they release, & if it's something you want, you'll buy it.

Looking forward to The Last Of Sheila. :)

(pre-ordered to the UK, but with tax changes...£25 (ouch!).
I also UK and consider the purchase well worth every penny. Great movie Great cast and OK music score.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I also UK and consider the purchase well worth every penny. Great movie Great cast and OK music score.
Oh yes, Warner Archive Blu-rays to the UK have gone up by around £10 from this time last year, but if it's a film I want, I don't really mind (too much), it's not like I'm buying them every week, or even every month.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Is there any place where you can get a nice, simple list of Warner Archive releases as they're announced? In this thread new releases announcements get lost in reams of discussion posts, and pre-order announcements are in individual threads that also get quickly swallowed up among others. Similar problem with WAC's Facebook page and I presume their Twitter feed. Their Amazon "store" is hopeless.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Is there any place where you can get a nice, simple list of Warner Archive releases as they're announced? In this thread new releases announcements get lost in reams of discussion posts, and pre-order announcements are in individual threads that also get quickly swallowed up among others. Similar problem with WAC's Facebook page and I presume their Twitter feed. Their Amazon "store" is hopeless.

Outside of this thread, I post the preorder announcements as soon as they become available.

Warner's Archive's Facebook page should be back to normal soon. George Feltenstein said he was making that a priority. So, instead of titles leaking through retailers, they should be announced in regular intervals on their page.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks