What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Announcement: Safe In Hell (1931) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
resize.jpeg

Special Features: TRAILER; WARNER SHORTS: PAT O'BRIEN IN CRIME SQUARE; GEORGE JESSEL AND HIS ART CHOIR; WARNER CARTOON "DUMB PATROL"

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Besides STRAWBERRY BLONDE, there isn't a title here I am familiar with. Great that more Cagney is coming, but I'd sure love to be able to tick off at least a few more from my WAC wish list before I go to the great movie palace in the sky. Thanks to everyone at
WAC, though, for sticking with it and going full speed ahead. :thumbsup:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Besides STRAWBERRY BLONDE, there isn't a title here I am familiar with. Great that more Cagney is coming, but I'd sure love to be able to tick off at least a few more from my WAC wish list before I go to the great movie palace in the sky. Thanks to everyone at
WAC, though, for sticking with it and going full speed ahead. :thumbsup:
An opportunity to discover some new titles then. :)

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
This is one heck of a pre-code.
Yes. I'm totally surprised. The WAC MOD was pretty ragged and dupey, and I figured it was far, far away from Blu-Ray standards. Plus who, other than a few hundred hardcore pre-code enthusiasts, had ever heard of it? But this is a blistering, monumental (aesthetically, not budget-wise) eye-peeling, brain-shattering, tough-as-nails piece of cinema, the absolute apogee of Warners' and Wild Bill Wellman's muck-racking, social conscious phase, with a visceral, damned if I do or don't and the hell with it anyway, performance by Dorothy McNaill, a female varition of I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang leavened with a side helping of perversity, that almost reaches Bunuelian proportions. If you're looking for comparisons, you might call it Moana meets Faster Pussycat. Scary as can be while also wildly entertaining. It's one of those pre-codes where you blink and think, did they really just do that? It's a film that continually undermines all your expectations. In terms of the story and raw, emotional content, it out Noirs any Noir. Forget Scarface, Public Enemy, even Wild Boys of the Road. This is the real deal.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I'm in. I appreciate the archive mining the '30s. This is Warner Bros to me.

This clip is a promotion from the DVD release which was a 16mm source.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Note: Wrong release date in this Facebook post as it should be Tuesday, April 25th.

Coming from the Warner Archive Collection on April 24th!

NEW 2023 1080p HD Master from 4K Scan of Nitrate 35mm elements!

SAFE IN HELL (1931)

Run Time 74:00
Subtitles English SDH
Audio Specs DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
Aspect Ratio 1.37:1, 4x3
Product Color B&W
Disc Configuration BD 50

Special Features: Classic Warner Bros. Short Subjects "Pat O’Brien in Crime Square" and "George Jessel and his Russian Art Choir Classic Warner Bros. Cartoon "Dumb Patrol" (1931), Original Theatrical Trailer

Cast: Dorothy Mackaill, Donald Cook, Rolf Harolde, Nina Mae McKinney
Gilda (Dorothy Mackaill) thought she had fallen as far as a woman could fall when she got a call telling her a client was requesting her “services.” But when the client turns out to be the man responsible for her fall from grace, Gilda flies into a murderous rage. Taking it on the lam, Gilda finds shelter in the arms of a sailor boyfriend (Donald Cook) who smuggles her to sanctuary and safety, or so he thinks. In reality, he has booked her a bridal suite in hell.
Too long imprisoned by obscurity, this film earned new-found recognition when released on DVD over a decade ago, albeit from substandard source material. Now remastered for Blu-ray disc from the best surviving nitrate elements, its importance as a truly powerful pre-code classic is unquestioned. Touted at the time of its theatrical release as “Not For Children,” Safe in Hell is frank, startling and arresting, as gripping today as it was nine decades ago. Directed by William A. Wellman, the film is full of terrors and delights, including the most striking ensemble seen this side of Freaks, and a truly twisted stunner of a finale.

1680512823549.png

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Just a note, the aspect ratio will actually be Movietone 1.19:1. Confirmed from the new master which is now streaming on HBOMax.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks