What's new

Warner any chance for these classic films on dvd? (1 Viewer)

Jacqui

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jacqui
I gather that Warners are going to release a Jean Harlow box set sometime this year? Jean Harlow is such a wonderful actress, and it is disappointing to have so many films of hers missing. Here are a few worth considering:

Bombshell
Reckless
Red Dust
Saratoga
Personal Property
Suzy
The Girl from Missouri
Hold Your Man
The Beast of the City
Three Wise Girls
Goldie
Iron Man
The Secret Six

Corey

Screenwriter
No point really in this thread when most of these movies will be out within a few months.

Corey

Screenwriter

In that case, I hope this upcoming Harlow set contains the other 11 MGM films.

DanMel

Second Unit
Ok with the additional informaion and barring that none of these titles have drifted in the relm of public domain, the next WB Gary Cooper Vol 2 set should include:

1) Hanging Tree
2) Task Force
3) Bright Leaf
4) Saratoga Trunk

and for a fifth title one of the below:

One Sunday Afternoon
Operator 13
TODAY WE LIVE

The other silent and cameo movies would not be good one's to include in the box set since there is limited Coop on screen time. The first four films are all classics by Coop and hope that all of them would be included. I have not seen Operator 13 yet but I guess for my fifth choose it would have to be One Sunday Afternoon or Today We Live or both. More than enough movies for a Vol 2!

Bright Leaf has great performances by Lauren Bacall and Patrica Neal for fans of those actresses.

Art_AD

Stunt Coordinator
Based on the early box sets this year Robert Mitchum, Doris Day, Errol Flynn, James Cagney (all of whom I like), I would say to Warner "Less Warner & More MGM" films please or a least an even mix. I am would like box sets for Marie Dressler, Marion Davies, Ramon Novarro, Norma Shearer, Wallace Beery, John Gilbert, Early Crawford, Helen Hayes along with Garbo 2, Spencer Tracy, Gable 2, Jean Harlow, Esther Williams, Powell & Loy 2.................not to mention all teh silent films we are waiting for

Corey

Screenwriter

I agree with you. It's good to know that we'll be getting Loy & Powell, Spencer Tracy, Esther Williams, Gable 2, but I would also like to have sets for Jane Powell, Elizabeth Taylor V2, Lana Turner, Eleanor Powell (please!!!!) and Hedy Lamarr. I'm also thinking that the 2nd James Stewart set will have more his MGM films like The Mortal Storm and The Shopworn Angel. How could I also forget the complete Jeanette MacDonald/Nelson Eddy set in nice slim cases :).

DanMel

Second Unit
"I'm also thinking that the 2nd James Stewart set will have more his MGM films"

I don't think Warner Brothers has any way of releasing MGM titles in their box sets as they don't hold the right to those movies. If MGM releases any of the James Stewart titles or Gary Cooper MGM United Artists titles, they will have to be in a Sony/MGM Vol 1 box set. I wish companies could mix and match other companies movies in a box set, but I haven't seen it yet.

If Warner Brothers releases a Marian Davies box set, I would buy it for the Operator 13 title if included. Likewise if they released a Fay Wray box set that had One Sunday Afternoon in it, I would buy that one as well (pretty much any actress box set that contained unreleased Cooper movies would be worth a buy for me.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Warner does own the MGM titles that Stewart appeared in when he was a contract actor for MGM.

Crawdaddy

Corey

Screenwriter

LOL at a Fay Wray Collection. I guess after that they'll release a Guy Kibbee set and then a Ann Shirley Collection. They just don't release sets for any actor. It has to have some type of commercial viability.

Miguel M Santos

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Miguel M Santos

I would love to get that one... especially if Olivia de Havilland herself made some contributions to it (commentaries or interviews).

However that's only four titles. Wouldn't there be a fifth? If so, any guesses?

Charles H

Screenwriter
LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA (1962) would be essential for any deHavilland boxset. It was the source material for a Tony-winning Broadway musical. TCM showed it recently and it looked (too orangey) that it was in urgent need of a restoration.

Corey

Screenwriter

Well when I was on Amazon searching for de Havilland films, it said "not yet released" for Light in the Piazza. From past experiences this has meant, that the title is in production. When they ask you if you want an e-mail to notify when this title becomes available, that's a very good sign. It also said it for A Date With Judy, The Pirate (Classic Musicals V4), The Strawberry Blond, Red Dust and Hold Your (Harlow set) Man, Beyond the Forest, Thousands Cheer, Bachelor Mother (Ginger Rogers), Our Vines Have Tender Grapes, Parrish (Delmer Daves as WB promised).

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Do we know which other musicals are going to be in that musicals set besides THE PIRATE? Is this where WORDS & MUSIC is going or in some other set?

CameronMcC

Second Unit

Not only does Warner own these films, but even if they didn't Sony would have no hold on any of it, since that deal is over and Fox now has control of the later MgM catalouge for distribution.

DanMel

Second Unit
"LOL at a Fay Wray Collection. I guess after that they'll release a Guy Kibbee set and then a Ann Shirley Collection. They just don't release sets for any actor. It has to have some type of commercial viability."

"but I would also like to have sets for Jane Powell, Elizabeth Taylor V2, Lana Turner, Eleanor Powell (please!!!!)"

I haven't heard of any of the actresses on your list except for Elizabeth Taylor so I don't know if they have much commerical viability.

At least Fay Wray was in the movie King Kong.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks