What's new

Warner any chance for these classic films on dvd? (1 Viewer)

Charles H

Screenwriter
GOLDEN DAWN has to be seen to be disbelieved and it is not merely politically incorrect: it is surrealistically poilitically insane, but I'd love to see the "Dawn of Sound" films (with Madam Satan and a couple of Jolsons portaled over from the ld days). These films, however, demand a commentary that would place them in the historical and cultural, social context of the times--something that was sorely and frustratingly absent from the first "Forbidden Hollywood" set.

Corey

Screenwriter

Yeah I would actually enjoy an Al Jolson set with the films that were included in his LD set. I'm not one of the types to take offense to what he was doing. It was acceptable at the times and the movies are over 70 years old. All they need is a commentary by Donald Bogle and an introduction by Morgan Freeman and we should be fine. ;)

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor

There is a very fine documentary on the life and career of Henry Fonda. Jane Fonda narrates it, and its called "FONDA ON FONDA". It was produced by TNT (before TCM existed) by the same team that did "BACALL ON BOGART".

Those same documentarians did a great docu on Jimmy Stewart called JAMES STEWART: A WONDERFUL LIFE. Hosted by Johnny Carson, but with lots of Stewart on camera with Carson, this was released by MGM on videocassette umpteen years ago. It's quite a treat.

Frank M

Stunt Coordinator

Katharine Hepburn's 100th birthday, perhaps we'll see a Spencer Tracy Signature Collection too.

Corey

Screenwriter

The Spencer Tracy set was supposed to come out last year, but it was pushed back to 2007. Test Pilot, The Actress, and Northwest Passage have been mentioned to be in the set.

Jefty

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Fiore
back to the De Havilland set for a moment:

I forgot about Princess O'Rourke! It's one of the only Warner De Havillands in which she is undeniably THE star, and, as such, it would almost have to be part of a De Havilland signature collection.

I've only seen it once, but I remember liking it quite a bit... Very fun Krasna script and loaded with great supporting players--although it does bog down into kind of an annoying denouement which depends upon a--hopefully--dated brand of masculine pride...

another candidate for the set would be Devotion (the Bronte movie, with Olivia as Charlotte and Ida Lupino as Emily)--I've never seen it, and would dearly love to (although I know it isn't supposed to be all that great...)

Also, going through the list of De Havilland films reminded me that I have always wanted to see some of those 1930s Warner Joe E Brown vehicles (including Alibi Ike, with De Havilland)... maybe they should put these out in the triple-feature format?

and it goes without saying that we need the magnificent Dieterle/Reinhardt/Cagney/Warner Stock Company's Midsummer Night's Dream as soon as possible--maybe in a Literary (Stage) Classics collection, along with the Shearer/Howard Romeo & Juliet, Strange Interlude, Idiot's Delight, and The Guardsman?

I guess it's pretty obvious that I want a Shearer set too! (The Barretts of Wimpole Street is essential--as is Smilin Through!)

Corey

Screenwriter

We should start requesting more double and triple features, especially with movies that are re-makes and whatnot. So with Smilin Through, they should release the Shearer & Jeanette MacDonald versions or with The Barretts of Wimpole Street, release the Jennifer Jones version and When Ladies Meet (1933 & 1941). I bet WB is going to have one of those TCM Archives set with Norma's silents like Lady of the Night, The Student Prince (both restored) and After Midnight.

Corey

Screenwriter
This is pure specualtion, but I read in on a Garbo message board, that Susan Lenox would be in the next Gable set.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
You guys suggest all of these sets, but how many of them do you buy once they're out? I wish *I* had that kind of money to be spending on DVDs!

Jefty

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Fiore

I've been managing pretty well (and, as a doctoral student/self-publishing novelist/part-time bookstore clerk, you better believe I ain't rich!), and I had a couple of years' worth of releases to catch up on... The key, I guess, is that I split rent/bills with my girlfriend, never take trips, never buy anything but food, books, and DVDs, and have only feline dependents.

If you've got a family (or live in a town with a high cost of living), I can see your point though... None of which is going to keep me from wanting to see more boxed sets on the market!

Corey

Screenwriter
i buy the ones i'm interested, it's not like i'm buying every WB set just for the heck of it. The last 6 sets I bought were Robert Mitchum, Bogie V2, Paul Newman, Forbidden Hollywood, Taylor & Burton, and Film Noir V3.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I know at the last chat, Warners said there would be a Joan Crawford Vol. 2 this year and that FLAMINGO ROAD would be one of the titles. I am POSITIVE this was mentioned.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
MattH, indeed WB told us about the Joan Crawford Vol. 2, slated for a 2007 release, being Flamingo Road one of the tiles included in the box.
I am waiting for so many WB gems, but right on the top of my list are A Woman's Face, Waterloo Bridge (1940), Johnny Eager, Manhattan Melodrama, Test Pilot, Mannequinn, Three Comrades, The Shining Hour and Mortal Storm, from MGM.
From RKO: anything with Ginger Rogers in it.
From WB: Nora Prentiss, The Unfaithful, Cry Wolf, The Strawberry Blonde, April Showers, Four Daughters, Deception, Out of Fog, The Hard Way.

Corey

Screenwriter

I'm sure A Woman's Face will be in Crawford V2. Test Pilot was a DVD decision candidate back in 2004 and will be in the Spencer Tracy set and Manhattan Melodrama will be in the Loy & Powell set. Maybe Waterloo Bridge, I Married A Witch, and I'll Cry Tomorrow will finally be out this year cause they've been restored for quite some time now.

DanMel

Second Unit
I would like to see a Vol 2 for Gary Cooper from WB with:

1) Hanging Tree
2) Task Force
3) Bright Leaf
4) Saratoga Trunk

I believe this is all they have left on Coop that they own that has not been released.

Of Course a Vol 2 for Cecil D. Demille with 3 cooper movies on it would be nice too with Northwest mounted Police, The Story of Dr. Wassell and Unconquered from Universial.

And if they really wanted to make my year Universial could put out a Vol 2 for Coop with a 5 more 30's movies such as Desire, Souls at Sea, Bluebead's Eighth Wife ect.

FOX should some day release some good Cooper movies such as Garden of Evil and Ten North Frederick and I have not much hope that MGM United Artists that they will ever release another Cooper movie in Region 1.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched TRAVELS WITH MY AUNT off TCM, and the quality of the print TCM used was pristine. This must be ready for imminent release on DVD.

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit

....not to mention "TODAY WE LIVE", "LILAC TIME" and "IT'S A GREAT COUNTRY" ! (He also has cameos in MAKE ME A STAR and IT'S A GREAT FEELING)...all of these are owned by WB.

Corey

Screenwriter
I know a good film that would be good for Clark Gable V2: The Hucksters. You get Gable, Ava Gardner, and Deborah Kerr. Would also love to have Honky Tonk, Strange Interlude, Too Hot to Handle, Idiot's Delight, and Comrade X.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks