What's new

Warner announces Forbidden Planet for November (1 Viewer)

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

To keep things equal, I'm going to suggest to George Feltenstein that it contain action figures of Sam Spade, Joel Cairo and Kaspar Gutman - that should seal the deal. :)

Anyway, not sure if this adds anything, but here is the official WB PR:
-------------------------------------------------------------------

The Quintessential 1950s Sci-Fi Movie …

FORBIDDEN PLANET

50TH ANNIVERSARY 2-DISC SPECIAL EDITION and ULTIMATE COLLECTORS EDITION

From Warner Home Video November 14

Newly Restored and Remastered Film, in Widescreen and
Dolby Digital® 5.1, Has Six Hours of Bonus Features Including
Two Follow-Up Robby the Robot Films, Lost Footage, Additional Scenes, Three New Documentaries and More

Ultimate Collectors Edition in Unique Metal Alloy Collector’s Case

Contains Collectible Robby The Robot Action Figure,

Reproduction Lobby Cards Portfolio and Mail-In Movie Poster Offer

Burbank, CA (July 21, 2006) - Forbidden Planet, considered by many the most influential science fiction film ever made until the Star Wars era, goes into DVD orbit November 14 when Warner Home Video releases Forbidden Planet 50th Anniversary 2-Disc Special Edition and Forbidden Planet Ultimate Collectors Edition. The film, in a new widescreen version, has been digitally transferred from fully restored new film and audio elements. The remarkable electronic soundtrack has been remastered in Dolby Digital 5.1.® The 2 Disc Special Edition will be available at $26.99 SRP; the Ultimate Collector’s Edition for $59.92 SRP.

A pioneering work whose ideas and style influenced countless cinematic space voyages that followed -- Star Wars, Star Trek, Lost in Space, 2001: A Space Odyssey, among others -- Forbidden Planet is based on Shakespeare’s The Tempest and stars Walter Pidgeon, Anne Francis, Leslie Nielsen, Warren Stevens, Earl Holliman and Richard Anderson. It also marks the motion picture debut of Robby the Robot. Fred McLeod Wilcox directed the Cyril Hume screenplay.

More than four hours of special features in the 2-Disc Special Edition include commentary, additional scenes, two follow-up vehicles starring Robby the Robot plus three documentaries. Also of special note is the lost footage, which features preliminary takes of various special effects including the space ship and interior and exteriors. Very few people knew of the existence of footage, which, since the ‘50s, had bounced around to various stock houses and vaults, simply marked as “The Saucer Footage.” Star Wars special effects artist Dennis Muran, who had learned of the footage in the ‘70s, brought it to the attention of WHV which finally tracked it down in New York City.

The Ultimate Collectors Edition keepsake case includes the 2-Disc Special Edition as well as a collectible Robby the Robot replica with moveable limbs, Forbidden Planet and The Invisible Boy reproduction lobby cards portfolio, as well as a Forbidden Planet original theatrical poster mail-in offer.

Synopsis

Commander Adams (Leslie Nielsen) and his crew set out to investigate the

disappearance of a colony of scientists on the planet Altair-4. After landing, they discover only two survivors, Dr. Edward Morbius (Walter Pidgeon) and his exquisite daughter Altaira (Anne Francis).

The Morbiuses live a surprisingly prosperous lifestyle, attended to by Robby the Robot, a super-butler who performs many amazing feats. But lurking in the background is an invisible force -- which may or may not have been responsible for the disappearances of those scientists – and about which only Morbius knows the truth. But Morbius is not about to share his secret (or his daughter!) with anyone else.

DVD Special Features:

· Additional scenes

· Lost footage

· Excerpts from The MGM Parade TV Series

· Two follow-up vehicles starring Robby the Robot:
o 1958 MGM feature film The Invisible Boy
o The Thin Man MGM TV series episode Robot Client
· Three documentaries:
o TCM original Watch the Skies!: Science Fiction, the 1950s and Us
o All-new Amazing! Exploring the Far Reaches of Forbidden Planet (featuring new appearances by Leslie Neilsen, Anne Francis, Earl Holliman, Warren Stevens and more)
o Robby the Robot: Engineering a Sci-Fi Icon
· New digital transfer from restored picture and audio elements

· Soundtrack remastered in Dolby Digital 5.1

· Science-fiction movie trailer gallery

· Languages: English & Français

· Subtitles: English, Français & Español (feature film only)

Note: All enhanced content listed above is subject to change.

Forbidden Planet 50th Anniversary Two-Disc Special Edition

Street Date: November 14, 2006

$26.99 SRP

Running Time: 98 minutes

Rated G

Forbidden Planet Ultimate Collector’s Edition

$59.92 SRP

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit
Poster mail in offer on the Ultimate Collector's set. Yes! :D

I can't believe we have to wait 4 more months for this. :frowning:

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

You said it! This is beyond cool now.
I was going to pass on this as FP isn't a big favorite, but with the inclusion of IB this just shot up to one of the re-releases I'm most looking forward to this year. Invisible Boy is very interesting 50s sci fi movie- it blows my mind whenever I catch it on TCM...I just hope its also included on the HD DVD release.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
The Criterion LD had a lot of deleted stuff, and some FX tests, things that just didnt work in the film. I wonder if all that will be ported over. It was one of my best LDs, and i bet will soon be retired.

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
This is sweet! One of the great genre movies from my childhood...this movie still gives me the willies today! What a beautiful job they've done...

Too bad though; I held out on the initial release hoping for an "unrated director's extended cut" with more explicit Robbie action. ;)

Shawn DuHast

Stunt Coordinator
Well Done Warners.....if anyone can do this justice they can, and it looks they have and some more!
November is soooooooo far away.........

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

Plus it's one of the many films Lucas ripped off for Star Wars -- there's a scene where the boy is trying to convince Robbie not to call him "master" that is repeated almost verbatim in SW.

As for the commentary, I'd like to see the same line-up that Paramount used for War of the Worlds ('53) -- Joe Dante, Bob Burns, and Bill Warren.

Terry Hickey

Second Unit
Real Name
Terry Hickey
I'll definitely get it, Warner Brothers has been doing a wonderful job on their
special editions or collector's edition of older films. I have purchased quite a few and this will be added when November rolls around.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

When the film was released, the conservative anti-robot rights groups had a field day and nearly prevented the film from being released unless those scenes were deleted.

I think Robbie's heirs subsequently had all the negatives of the controversial footage burned.
:P
Doug

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Probably a good idea since I doubt even today's audiences are ready to see what Robby really had in mind when he talked about "giving myself an oil job."

:D

Regards,

Joe

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I truly love how Warner Brothers so often just "tosses in" an entire second movie as a bonus feature. Another reason they're number one!

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit

Yeah, no kidding. It's been talked about in these forums for a while now, and many have hoped that a 50th anniversary DVD would grace our screens. WB had been so quiet about it that I was losing hope for the release myself.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks

Just like they did, sort of, when they gave us the entire color sequence from "The Animal World" of Ray Harryhausens and Willis O'Briens stop-motion animation. This was on "The Black Scorpion" DVD!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks