Warner announces blu-ray titles for 2010

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Brandon
I'm very excited for Ben-Hur and the Lord of the Rings trilogy. There are some on the list that I haven't seen that might be worthy of purchase someday.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Reaction score
Real Name
Brandon Conway
For me the definite buys are:

Ben-Hur
Doctor Zhivago
The Goonies
The Lord of the Rings
Mystic River
THX 1138

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Reaction score
I'll be picking up A Nightmare On Elm Street, THX-1138, The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre and The Exorcist (which I'm just assuming is still planned) as soon as they're released. At some point in time, I'll pick up Mystic River and Three Kings. And I bet there will be an Amazon deal on Lord Of The Rings around Christmas so I'll wait to grab them until then.

Brian Kidd

Cinematographer
Premium
Reaction score
I'm one of the few folks who has a real soft spot for Bakshi's LOTR. (Love the Jackson trilogy. Much better. Not completely insane.) However, I fail to see how an HD transfer of the film will be much of a benefit. The art in it is so muddy and grainy that I fail to see how the extra resolution will benefit the film. I'm anxious to see if there's much difference, once it's released.

Now, MUSIC MAN is one of my favorites. Love that film. Can't wait.

Other than that, I'm kind of underwhelmed by this batch of titles. I agree that it has to be but a small amount of the vintage titles that are on the slate for the year. EXORCIST would be a no-brainer, as long as I can get the original. I have no interest in the re-jigged version. I honestly feel the digital additions hurt the film. The extra scenes aren't so bad. I just much prefer the original.

felipenor

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
These BDs are to be released this year in France, so I assume it won't be long till they become available in the US too.

April:
  • Kelly's Heroes (Warner)
  • Where Eagles Dare (Warner)

May:
  • Grand Prix (Warner)

June:
  • Absolute Power (Warner)
  • Mutiny on the Bounty (1935 and 1962 versions) (Warner)
  • The Rookie (Warner)

July:
  • Insomnia (Warner)
  • Moonwalker (Warner)
October:
  • The Exorcist (Warner)
  • Forbidden Planet (Warner)
  • Mars Attacks! (Warner)
November:
  • Excalibur (Warner)
  • The Maltese Falcon (Warner)
  • Three Kings (Warner)
  • The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (Warner)
December

• The Last of the Mohicans (Warner)

Brent M

Producer
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TravisR

I don't think there's any solid info yet but the assumption is that Goodfellas is just the existing disc and the bonus DVD from one of the WB Gangster sets in a book-style package.
Someone on another forum who got the Blu-Ray early confirmed that it's the same disc. In other words, no remastered PQ and no lossless audio. Pathetic move on the part of WB!!!

Joseph Bolus

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Out of that list I *have* to get "The Music Man" and "Ben-Hur". I'll wait on the LOTR EE's.

We just viewed "The Music Man" DVD last week and it looked *horrendous* with *extreme* EE in practically every scene. It turns out that the DVD was released in 1999(!) so it was long overdue for a much needed reissue.

Douglas Monce

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by Robin9

The Maltese Falcon is excellent on DVD. Will the Blu-ray be much better?

I suspect it will be comparable to Casablanca in that respect. I find Casablanca to be a huge upgrade from the DVD.

I would also like to see a new transfer of The Big Sleep. The current DVD suffers from pretty serious gate weave and flicker. Also one side of the image has milky blacks where the other side seems to have fairly solid blacks. The film could stand a little TLC in my opinion.

Doug

Robin9

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Robin
Originally Posted by felipenor

These BDs are to be released this year in France, so I assume it won't be long till they become available in the US too . .
  • Mutiny on the Bounty (1935 and 1962 versions) (Warner)
Yes!

Originally Posted by Douglas Monce

I suspect it will be comparable to Casablanca in that respect. I find Casablanca to be a huge upgrade from the DVD.
If your guess proves correct, I'll buy The Maltese Falcon.

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Brent M

Someone on another forum who got the Blu-Ray early confirmed that it's the same disc. In other words, no remastered PQ and no lossless audio. Pathetic move on the part of WB!!!

If that is true then I agree with you that it was a pathetic decision. To not even upgrade the audio with this film's great soundtrack is really a downer.

Crawdaddy

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford

If that is true then I agree with you that it was a pathetic decision. To not even upgrade the audio with this film's great soundtrack is really a downer.
I'm glad that I got the original disc for $6 or $7 on Black Friday rather than paying what the 'new' one will cost.

felipenor

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
The new GFoodfellas release is the same disc already released? But what about disc 2? Is it a new disc with bonus material?

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Reaction score

The new GFoodfellas release is the same disc already released? But what about disc 2? Is it a new disc with bonus material?
It's apparently just the bonus disc from Warners Gangsters Collection Volume 4 (with The Golden Age Of Gangsters doc and a handful of gangster themed Warner cartoons).

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit
Reaction score

It's not a new disc either. It's "Public Enemies: The Golden Age of the Gangster Film," lifted straight out of the Warner Gangsters Collection: Volume 4. Nothing to do with GoodFellas.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Reaction score
Real Name
Brandon Conway

• Moonwalker (Warner)
Call me crazy, but Smooth Criminal in HD with lossless audio might be my most anticipated thing mentioned in this thread.

Jim_K

Executive Producer
Reaction score
From the French list (Given they get released in the US) I'll also pick up Kelly's Heroes, Where Eagles Dare, The Exorcist (only if the original cut is included) and Excalibur.

I'd love to also get The Last of the Mohicans but it's controlled by Fox in the US.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by Ron-P

Nothing on that list for me.
Ron, not even Mars Attacks?
I thought that one would be right in your wheelhouse.

Ron-P

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Ron
Nope, a fun one time watch but nothing I'd need to see again. I'm a big Burton fan but that's one of my very least favorites of his, that and Planet of the Apes.

RolandL

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Originally Posted by Garysb

A restored version of the Judy Garland version of "A Star Is Born" (no new footage has been discovered) will be the first film screened at the Turner Classic Film Festival in April this year.
Since Warner Bros. has worked on the film many have speculated that it will be released on blu-ray this year. No announcement has been made yet.
Hdnet will be showing A Star is Born 1/31, 2/20 and 2/28 - http://www.hd.net/movies_search_results.html?keyword=a%20star%20is%20born&wheretosearch=title

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jim_K

I'd love to also get The Last of the Mohicans but it's controlled by Fox in the US.
Hopefully, when and if this gets released on Blu in the U.S., it'll have both theatrical (my preference) and director's cuts.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kanchibrneha