What's new

Warner announces blu-ray titles for 2010 (1 Viewer)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Ric Easton /forum/thread/297508/warner-announces-blu-ray-titles-for-2010#post_3654702

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)] I just hope people don't point to this thread if, say, Mutiny on the Bounty (1935) doesn't make that date and is pushed into 2011.
[/COLOR]

Unfortunately there will always be someone who will
say just that.

From experience most of us know that there are
always variables that occur that delay or even
cancel titles that are announced this far out in
advance.

I am not saying that is the case here, but
Warner has gotten a lot of unfair criticism
for not keeping to schedule and people need
to understand that nothing is ever etched in
stone when a certain title is promised.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Honestly guys,

Many of my DVD's look just as good as the blu-ray discs I have when played on my SONY Blu-ray player which gives the best possible DVD presenation - you can't tell a difference even on a big screen

The films that really should be on the list are the early DVD releases that were not mastered for 16:9. Esp from MGM/UA

Most DVD's mastered since 2005 look great when compared to blu-ray discs. But my DVD's from the 90's don't look good at all.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Jim_K

No Bogart fans here I guess.
Well, I'm waiting for them to release The Big Sleep on Blu-ray. I'm happy with The Maltese Falcon and Treasure of Sierra Madre on DVD. The latter two films are already out on good DVD transfers, whereas The Big Sleep transfer could be improved. it's also my fovourite film out of those three.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Don't let any exclusions like The Exorcist, or Where Eagles Dare etc worry you, this is a basic list, and you can bet WB's has a lot more catalog releases to come in 2010.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I have doubts about the veracity of this list. One reason is the single disc GTTW that is alleged to be coming out next week. The second is below:
6/08 - THE GETAWAY (1972) / THE GETAWAY (1994)
Since when does Warner own the rights to the 1994 Getaway? That was a Universal release, except in the UK.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Don't know about the Getaway, this list might be a copy and paste from a UK release list.

But here's the Single disc of GWTW that was a Target exclusive.........now at Amazon (and probably other etailers) http://www.amazon.com/Gone-Wind-Blu-ray-Clark-Gable/dp/B002XF9C54/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1264766368&sr=8-9

Originally Posted by Simon Howson

Well, I'm waiting for them to release The Big Sleep on Blu-ray. I'm happy with The Maltese Falcon and Treasure of Sierra Madre on DVD. The latter two films are already out on good DVD transfers, whereas The Big Sleep transfer could be improved. it's also my fovourite film out of those three.
I guess I understand......Well no, not really. But to each their own.

Generally speaking, it's disappointing to see so much indifference towards vintage films of this caliber.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Jim_K

Don't know about the Getaway, this list might be a copy and paste from a UK release list.

But here's the Single disc of GWTW that was a Target exclusive.........now at Amazon (and probably other etailers) http://www.amazon.com/Gone-Wind-Blu-ray-Clark-Gable/dp/B002XF9C54/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1264766368&sr=8-9

I guess I understand......Well no, not really. But to each their own.

Generally speaking, it's disappointing to see so much indifference towards vintage films of this caliber.
Indifference? I have a dozen Blu-rays on my wishlist that are coming soon. Sadly I can't afford to buy everything I would like immediately, so I have to prioritise.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Like I said.......To each their own. I'm not telling you or anyone else what to purchase, how to spend your money nor what titles to get excited about.

"Generally speaking" means just that. The general consensus in this thread so far is a big shoulder shrug, which is disappointing for me to see.....nothing more.

Don't spin my comments into something that doesn't exist.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Richard M S

The film I am most eager to find out about, A STAR IS BORN, I guess is in a forthcoming announcement.

Originally Posted by felipenor

Do you think it's going to be released this year?
A restored version of the Judy Garland version of "A Star Is Born" (no new footage has been discovered) will be the first film screened at the Turner Classic Film Festival in April this year.
Since Warner Bros. has worked on the film many have speculated that it will be released on blu-ray this year. No announcement has been made yet.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Music Man, Dr. Zhivago, Forbidden Planet and Ben Hur will be automatic purchases for me. Gone With The Wind and The Getaway I already have on Blu-ray. I'm not sure about the Huston/Bogarts. The Maltese Falcon is excellent on DVD. Will the Blu-ray be much better?

If Mutiny On The Bounty includes the Brando/Howard remake, I'll buy it.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Garysb

Since Warner Bros. has worked on the film many have speculated that it will be released on blu-ray this year. No announcement has been made yet.
George Feltenstein has said in interviews that they plan to release it in 2010 along with the 30s version of the film.

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
From that list I'll definitely be getting:

What's Up Doc
Forbidden Planet - really excited about this one.
Ben Hur

Maybe:

LOTR trilogy - I'm undecided whether or not I'll hold out for the Extended Editions. If we won't see them til 2012 or later then I might pick these up. I already have the EE's on dvd.
Dr. Zhivago

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks