What's new

Warner and the question of lossless audio (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
On dvd Warner has always shunned a higher format of audio, meaning they never used dts.

now on hd dvd and blu-ray they either don't use it (it meaning lossless audio not dts) or only on high profile movies.

now that Universal is in the blu-ray format and is using dts hd ma apparently on all titles, i'm just very confused about why Warner won't.

So what's the deal Warner?

edit: the words (nothing it seems: see post 35) are not my words and were not put there by me.

troy evans

Screenwriter
That's not accurate. The Lethal Weapon films when re-released as well as the first four Batman films when re-released all have DTS tracks. Twister and Interview with a Vampire have them on their re-releases as well. The list goes on.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
actually are you sure that isn't the list.
i think twister and vampire were released by morgan's creek.

it is just a small drop compared to the total of movies warner has put on dvd and now hd media.

jeez, what am doing awake at this hour.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
DTS is not a "higher" format. And they were late, both on DVD and HiDef discs. Also, DTS decoders were not immediately available in players and receivers.

So, limiting this discussion to HD now, Warner used TrueHD and DD+, both high-res audio. And TrueHD is lossless.

So, to answer your question: as far as we know they have nothing against "hi res/lossless" audio!

Cees

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I would have thought that with both DD and DTS now having lossless formats, the idea that one or the other was objectively better would no longer exist.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Yeah, it's a dead issue. There are a few diehards trying to keep it alive on a minor technical point or two (and I'm not going to do their work for them by saying what :) ), but there's really nothing to it.

M.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I posted a prediction before the hidef formats came out that there would still be people claiming that DTS is superior to DD even with lossless formats, and I was right. :)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
And the VAST majority of BD users will still have no idea what we are talking about. PQ anyone can see, AQ between lossy and lossless will be a non issue for the significant majority of viewers.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
You'd think so, but I'm no longer sure. Before big guns like Robert Harris made the DNR issue into a major topic, people like me who complained about it would routinely get dismissed by posters saying they couldn't see the difference. (I can find you links if you want proof.) With hi-def, I think we've reached a point where judging PQ requires a more educated eye than with standard DVD.

M.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
oops how did it become the old dts lossless is better then DD lossless?

On sd dvd i guess your right dts really wasn't a "higher res" format.

But it was thought to be better by some people at least when it was offered in full bit rate, which the few warner titles that had it did have the higher bit rate.

As for hdm I did have the "lossless" in the title too so the question remains.
Why when other studios such as Universal are putting it on probably every disc,
Why doesn't warner?
Why only the hi profile movies.

is it really just because of "Also, DTS decoders were not immediately available in players and receivers."

players with these decoders were going to become available and did within about 2 years of the format.

I was gonna say it's not keeping me up at night, but I already posted in this at 3 am.

oh well, just thought something to talk about.

maybe the hi res can e removed from the title, doesnt really apply.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
You couldn't have picked a worse example. Most of Universal's hi-def discs to date have been on the now-abandoned HD DVD format. The vast majority of those discs did not feature lossless audio. They did not even feature DD+ at a high bitrate. Warner didn't do such a great job with soundtracks either, but during the format wars, they did a better job than Universal.

We're seeing an improvement in the inclusion of lossless tracks in new releases across the boards. For that I think you can thank the enthusiast community on forums like this one.

M.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
you know, i'm not trying to start a new controversy here.
i just see that warner is reluctant to use lossless audio and i was just bringing it up for discussion.
i didn't bring up dts lossless vs DD truehd someone else did that, so i just wondered were that came from.

sheesh michael i feel like i'm on your list now or something.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Huh?

I'm a regular participant in this area. So are a lot of folks. If you post here, you'll probably run into the same people in different threads. Happens all the time.

M.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I felt obliged to reply with 'DTS is not a "higher" format.', which elicited more reactions. It really wasn't clear right away that you meant *all* hi-def audio codecs!
(BTW, I noticed that you now clarified your post a little.)

No offense meant, and you helped create a lively discussion about an old subject again. :)

Cees

Cees

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Not to defend WB for titles that do not include one of the newer audio formats, but the last five titles I purchased from them had four with PCM tracks and one with TrueHD.

I’d say that things are looking up.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Michael: I agree with you but gear also makes a tremendous difference in what viewers 'see', one personal example is that the Panasonic Smoothscreen of my AE-900u dampens EE from what I'm told. In general tho its easier to make a value judgement on PQ.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Whether or not a WB title has TrueHD on it or not depends on when the disc image was finished. If it was finished before they went BD only and fully committed to using lossless audio on all releases its not guaranteed a TrueHD track.

This info per insiders at blu-ray.com.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
:laugh:So let me see if I have this right Sam: your Panasonic uses electronics to remove the effects introduced by other electronics.:laugh:

One way to skin a cat.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
True, but Universal has announced that every title on BD will have lossless DTS-MA, much the same way Fox/MGM titles do.

I just found out that the forthcoming New Line/Warner release of Blow is going to have plain old DD at 640kbps. Too bad Warner had to take over New Line. I just saved $20.

Also, I just read a review of the Dutch release of The Aviator which has lossless and reportedly sounds light years better than the standard WB DD track.

Warner is still the bottom of the barrel of the high-def studios. They have done some great work at times, but these discs are too expensive to put up with lossy audio and DNR. Warner has far too many titles that look waxy and offer little advantage in the audio department over DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mat1
Recent bookmarks