What's new

Warner and HP to join forces on restoration... (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
From IMDb:

"HP Computers To Rescue Classic TV Shows

Warner Bros. and computer giant Hewlett-Packard are expected to announce a partnership today (Monday) to restore classic TV shows and movies to a clarity rivaling contemporary film images. Reporting on the planned announcement, the Los Angeles Times observed that it "underscores the growing importance of digital technology to broadcasters and studios." The newspaper quoted Vikki Pachera, HP's vice president for global alliances and business development as saying, "When you look at an old film from the '30s, it's just not as enjoyable given what we're used to expecting from the studios these days." The company's new technology, she implied, would overcome that deficiency. Meanwhile, today's Wall Street Journal reported that HP has entered into a similar agreement with DreamWorks that is aimed at going beyond film restoration and make the entire filmmaking process more efficient. "

I have no idea what this means. I hope it does not mean erasing detail and modifying the aspect ratio.

Chris

Senior HTF Member

Since all these programs were 4:3, I can't think of a single reason why they would do anything like that, and I find it doubtful they would..

I do think that what they are trying to do is clean up a lot of muddy looking shows that many would like/consider buying so they can sell them for more money ;)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member

I can. See the thread on here discussing the DVD of the TV series Kung Fu. As 16:9 TVs become more prevalent, you will see a lot more whining from the uninformed about "black bars" from watching 4:3 material on their shiny new 16:9 sets.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
She must not ever see the new prints the studios strike of their older films. I've recently run new 35mm prints of "The House of Fear", "Wizard of Oz" (in dye-transfer Technicolor), and "Modern Times" that looked better than just about any modern film you could name.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Modern cinematography pales in comparison to "the good old days," in my opinion. They have so much at their disposal but what they actually use is limited.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks