What's new

Warner, a helpul tip: please do your homework in preparation for the upcoming chat. (1 Viewer)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Warner, just to give you some friendly advice, please make sure that you study & prepare for the following questions which will most likely come up during the chat:
- Why didn't you release the Willie Wonka SE in widescreen? Follow up question: Why have you released so many other films in Pan & Scan on DVD as well?
- Why didn't you notify your customers earlier than 2 weeks before street date on the change in features for this DVD? Follow up question: Why were we kept in the dark for so long on the features for other titles such as the Oliver Stone Collection as well?
- Why are you the only studio releasing DVDs in snapper cases, a format that most customers dislike.
- Why have you neglected your vast library of classic films on DVD? Follow Up Question: If you don't think you can make money on most of your classic films, why can't you license them out to companies such as Criterion & Anchor Bay.
Anyway, I look forward to the chat & hearing your answers to these potential questions.
[Edited last by Jay E on August 06, 2001 at 04:52 PM]

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
Excellent points, Jay! My favorites are your last two - I need answers to those.
wink.gif

------------------
The Dark Tower
jamaris1.jpg

[Edited last by Jeff Amaris on August 06, 2001 at 05:26 PM]

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
The main reason they don't release the old classics is that they can't figure out how to pan & scan them since their OAR is 4:3.
frown.gif

------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001
[Edited last by george kaplan on August 06, 2001 at 06:19 PM]

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Don't bother asking about the snapper cases, when DVD was launched the studios disagreed on the packaging so each went their own way. Warner can't back down now (though the public does seems to prefer the other cases)
From what I've heard on the street most older titles don't sell very well, especially when compared to the newer titles, so few will probably come out (Warner released many more old titles in the beginning - the others studios are just starting to catch up, that's all)
Wonka - well, maybe it's just a test, maybe an other version will come out later - who knows, I wouldn't expect a good answer on this one.
By the way, you can believe Warner does their homework.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
"Our research has shown that many people dislike the widescreen format, especially families which this release is intended for. That is why we are releasing it in STANDARD format. Have a nice day."
wink.gif

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
Another helpful tip: you changed your mind once on Willy Wonka. I call it deceitful. (Now I have to go undo my preorder.)
By the time of the chat, bring us good news ... that you changed your mind again and will fix the release (even hold it if necessary) to get anamorphic widescreen back on there as promised.
------------------
  • May you be happy and well!

GregK

Screenwriter
...and if your going to take the time to do a audio
re-mix, take another small easy step and also include
the original audio mix. (Ben Hur & Superman are great
examples where this would have helped)
..Speaking of small steps and audio, PLEASE up your
Dolby Digital bit-rate to 448kb/s. The mere 64kb/s
increase extends frequency responce, reduces chances
of high frequency coupling, and is a slightly better
compression rate. (10:1 vs 12:1) Warners is the LAST
major studio using the 384kb/s DD bitrate.

Larry Bevil

Second Unit
I would heartily second the suggestion that Warner license their catalog of older titles to Anchor Bay or maybe even Artisan. They at least present their releases in the OAR and do a pretty good job of releasing the good "oldies". I buy far more oldie dvd's than the newer ones.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Or, as an alternative to licensing their catalog titles, why doesn't Warner create a brand new DIVISION with its own production and marketing staff to release this stuff on a SUBSIDIARY LABEL? It's not as though they haven't the resources. Such a label could develop a life of its own and concentrate specifically on the manufacture and release of RKO, MGM and WARNER pre-1970 classics.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks