Warner: _Eyes Wide Shut_, the unrated version.

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jack Briggs, Jul 16, 2003.

1. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Since the United States is the only country in the world to have to put up with the digitally altered (read: censored) R-rated version of Stanley Kubrick's brilliant swan song, Eyes Wide Shut, might the studio ever find it in its heart to make available the director's original vision to Region One? In other words, no digital "people" obscuring the nasty goings-on in the mansion.

You might even want to consider offering the film in its theatrical aspect ratio as an option, as well.

Hoping someone somewhere at Warner will read this and pass the request along. Thank you.

2. Bill J

Bill J Producer

I agree completely. I will never buy Eyes Wide Shut on DVD unless it is Kubrick's original unaltered version.

Please consider this, Warner.

3. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    Having seen both versions of the film, I must say I have NO idea why this ever happened. It's really pretty tame stuff.
    I hope you get your uncensored version. And whilst you're at it Warners, couldn't we have just one Kubrick film with a commentary from cast and crew ? It'd be fascinating to hear about his true work methods, and I don't think there'd be anything that undermined Kubrick or his estate.

4. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I don't know if I'd buy it, but if the uncensored version became available, I'd at least rent it. I've never seen this film on principle.

5. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    I've been enjoying Warner's uncut Eyes Wide Shut from Region 3 for a couple of years now. No way would I ever buy that altered garbage they released here.

Jeff

6. Doug Pyle

Doug Pyle Second Unit

Doug

7. Derek Bedard

Derek Bedard Auditioning

after taking a Stanley Kubrick course in college this past semester (and having more knowledge on Kubrick than I need crammed down my throat) I have come to the following conclusion

A)Kubrick was aganist and The Kubrick Estate is aganist special features on his DVD's, he was really aganist even anyone doing documentaries on his movies, he let The Shining pass though, because it was his daughter, but even in that case, the Documentary was HIS final cut [​IMG] Kubrick had this thing where, if at all possible, let me film speak for itself, there is no answer better than that

B)I am sure it was the decision of The Kubrick Estate into which version of Eyes Wide Shut was released in the US and Warner had no control/decision as such

C)Kubrick actually intended all his home video releases to be fullscreen, so this is the proper intended Aspect Ratio as approved by The Kubrick Estate

if I am wrong with any of this, correct me so I can tell my professor where to go [​IMG]

8. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

9. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    Derek - not exactly a rebuff to your post, but some things to consider.

Whatever Kubrick may have wanted while he was alive, there have been a few exceptions to these rules. He oversaw the original Warner Bros. DVDs - should we have been content with them ? A documentary was also made for the DR STRANGELOVE disc, and I doubt this would have perturbed him particularly. He probably wouldn't have sanctioned the LIFE IN PICTURES documentary either (which, incidentally, features clips from a documentary on FULL METAL JACKET which his daughter was also making) but it was made by his family, who I'm sure can judge the line between his legitimate concerns about damaging his films' mystique and those things which he was, shall we say, over-protective about. I don't think he did want to release the censored version of EYES WIDE SHUT - why would he ? It's available uncensored everywhere else.
    The sad thing is that - just before he died - Kubrick had decided to do a few interviews to help reverse the obviously false rumours about him perpetrated by the media.
    This obsessional thing is just one of them - the reality is somewhat different. I know for a FACT that Kubrick never saw the version of EYES WIDE SHUT that we have now. There were still music cues to be written when he died and they were added, according to clear guidance from him, posthumously.
    Very sadly, Kubrick is dead. The man belongs to his family.
    But his films belong to the world.

10. Doug Pyle

Doug Pyle Second Unit

Doug
    A release in Blu Ray and HD-DVD are opportunities for Warner finally to give us Kubrick's uncensored film in Region 1. Any word of hope for this?

11. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.

12. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.