What's new

Warner 2nd Chat for Animation & TV Product scheduled for June 6th. See Post#42! (1 Viewer)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Well after last nights chat i would have though that this one would be getting hit hard on the animation aspect.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
There are still a dozen Looney Toons I'm waiting for besides the curiosity of seeing the banned cartoons (I want to see the one where Porky says Son of a Bitch).

WB is already doing Teen Titans and Justice League/United in Season Sets, but I wish they would do the same for the Powerpuff Girls.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
well while not the biggest fan of Flash type animation i am wondering if some of those, and i don't Me the Looney Tunes ones will see release on DVD, Gotham Girls comes to mind, really wish that had been done conventional animation, if they didn't want to broadcast it on the Networks the could have done it on the net, would like to see them take a step in that direction,

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul

That's not actually part of a cartoon. The sequence was made (probably by Bob Clampett's unit) to be included in one of the Warner Bros. studio's annual in-house gag reels. These were compilations of outtakes, flubbed takes (often with famous stars exclaiming profanity) and anything else they thought might be funny, along with specially-filmed material, all edited together with "funny" narration and sound effects. These gag reels were generally called "Warner Breakdowns of... [insert year]". They weren't for public consuption. Probably for studio parties and other get-togethers, maybe to show gaggles of visiting exhibitors, stuff like that. There's actually one of these available on DVD in the supplements on the Adventures of Robin Hood SE, introduced by Leonard Maltin, no less. That's the one from 1938. I think Porky is on the 1939 reel. Most of these showed up on PD tapes in the old days. Maybe they've made it to DVD.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Has a second chat date been announced yet or mentioned again?

I hope this doesn't get swept under the rug as a means to avoid these issues, but I doubt it as from what I've read in the latest chat, I give WB a ton of credit and applause for their feedback and interactions among supporters and fans here at HTF in bringing superior product to the market!

Warner Bros. really is the greatest studio around and I'm sorry I missed the latest chat but am really looking forward to the upcoming one concerning animation and would love to get some feedback from a WHV rep regarding the topics raised in this thread as they seem to be almost universally reflected - Completre Tom & Jerry box set, Complete Tex Avery & the MGM one-shots and Happy Harmony cartoons.

I really hope that WB is reading this and could offer some insight into the potential of these releases...

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
awaiting the announcement of the date, but scanning through the other threads saw an interesting request if WB is listening, the wonderful job done on the Iron Giant SE, from all of the animation boom that has come from one single title alone, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm deserves the same.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Putting both serials in one package would take four discs. Columbia did a wonderful job of splitting their two Batman serials across two discs each - as well as allowing not only quick access to each chapter, but also giving each chapter some chapter breaks.

Also, as for the Superman cartoons... they could fit on one disc. If they just had commentaries, new Ultra-Resolution remasters (like the color Looney Tunes), and maybe a few other extras (if anything exists), it would be a fantastic set.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
have to agree on how well the Columbia serials for batman turned out, they proudly sit in front of my anthology box.

i do think that we will, just before the beginning of the last chat, that very subject was brought up be for the question and answer section started. WB has been such a great studio to actually come on here and keep the forum members loaded with information that some of the other studios are failing at.

Consider this they planned two separate chats, 2... while other studios don't even do any, from the chats transcripts this little list is compiled as to the last time they chatted with members here.

WB Feb 06
Criterion Feb 04
Fox Jan 04
Anchor Bay May 03
New Line Nov 01
MGM Mar 01
Dreamworks Feb 01
Paramount Sep 00

OK enough, decided just to hit the major studios back to 2000, i know i left some off Sony/Columbia Tristar, and Universal are beyond that point, but its odd that the two studios that people seem to have the most problems with disc or releases are the two just mentioned and how odd this coincides with the absence of any interaction with the public on a respected forum like this.

At the same point, as stated in other threads, sometimes, i think some of the corporates might be somewhat intimidated by some members and their knowledge of film and material, history, but that just insures that these gems are treated correctly. also i know i left off Disney, did not see them listed.

i look forward to the announcement of a date.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I guess we've been tricked once again.

Thanks WB, you're showing much potential already for animated fare int he new year.

I think at this point, it's strikingly obvious there are significant problems in this department that WB is afraid to have publicly addressed.

Boo.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Before you start throwing out accusations against Warner, you might want to remember that I stated earlier that I thought this thread was premature until an actual chat date has been scheduled. So now on March 17th, we have people like you stating that WB is afraid to talk about their problems. Hmmm, if that's the attitude many of you want to take then if I was them, I wouldn't talk to you. If you want these studios to treat you with respect and talk with you about their products then you need to give them some respect without taking cheap shots at them. Otherwise, I have empathy with some of the issues expressed in this thread and other animation threads.

Crawdaddy

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I don't think it's a cheap shot at all based on past history with WB Animation.

You mentioned that this thread might have been posted prematurely, however the announcement was made publically at the chat a while back. How's about some vague idea of when top expect this... a couple of weeks, months, etc?

Otherwise, jumping to such conclusions based ont he way these issues have historically been treated does not seem like such a stretch.

Anyways, I apologize to WB if their intentions are sincere and I didn't mean to offend...

But this is a touchy subject for some as there are a number of us out there who are as enthusiastic about vintage theatrical animation as we are this DVD hobby, and feel slighted at the way it's been mistreated since the format's inception and not given it's due. It's for the most part, been quite a regression since the days of laserdisc. We'd just like to finally get some words in to the company and find out what's been going on, and what if any plans are set in future to change this...

Imagine if certain studios decided it wasn't viable or marketable anymore to release any comedy or action movies on DVD... that's how we feel about this animation subject!

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I'm with you all the way Marco.

I tried to not be skeptical about this chat, but with every passing day, my skepticism grows.

Ever since the major snafu on Tom & Jerry and the complete communications breakdown from WB concerning this title, I haven't been too optimistic and thus far my motivations have only been supported further.

Truly sad, how one department at this company can be on the very top of their game, and another be so completely lackluster.

:frowning:

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
After their "buzz off" announcement concerning the first T&J set, I have zero confidence in their willingness to listen.

The sooner George absorbs their department the better.

CameronMcC

Second Unit
Yah but for all the problems they have delivered on some great animated sets both classic and modern. I'll admit that I have passed on Tom & Jerry, and been one of the first to toot the horn when something seems off....but we have recived some great offering from Looney Tunes, Hanna Barbera, DC Comics, Adult Swim, etc. etc.

Don't bite the hand that feeds...I know the output seems slow, and their are complications to be discussed...but wait for it...don't call out on things that aren't known. its not canceled, or postponed...its unannounced.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
Looney Tunes is handled by a different department. That's the one that George Feltenstien controls.

There have been issues with the Hanna Barbera sets that are similar to the T&Js: using edited masters, etc.

I admit the DC animated sets have few problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks