What's new

Warner 2003 release of Chaplin's Gold Rush to include both versions (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Superb news from Warner, which I have not yet noticed as being posted:

The new series of Chaplin films to be released next year will be inclusive of both versions of The Gold Rush.

This is welcome news, as it appears that Warner is going all out to create a superb series.

RAH

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The OOP Image disc is the 1942 version.

There's a bootleg disc out there from an awful print...but it's not worth it.

I thought The Gold Rush was boring after seeing the sound version...I hope my opinion changes when I see the silent version.

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
The newsarticle from DavisDVD:
Warner Home Video, in association with French production group MK2, will be unleashing what it promises to be definitive editions of Charlie Chaplin's "Little Tramp" films next year. The Charlie Chaplin Collection is set to include 18 silent and sound classics, all currently undergoing extensive digital restoration. Each title will be released as a 2-disc set that will include exclusive commentaries, documentaries, outtakes, alternate footage, still galleries, and other materials. A notorious craftsman, Chaplin re-edited certain titles years after their original release (most famously, 1942's The Gold Rush which trimmed scenes & subtitles and added a new score). Purists can rest easy, Warner & MK2 will include both versions whenever applicable. The first three films in the collection, The Great Dictator, City Lights and The Circus, will be released worldwide in June 2003 (The Great Dictator is due in France this November). Each title will be released in two styles - a double-disc digipak (SRP $26.99) and a box set including a film frame and an extensive booklet (SRP $34.99). For more information, visit the official Charlie Chaplin website.
http://www.davisdvd.com/News/daily_news.htm

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
wow this is so cool
I am looking forward to buy these Chaplin classics, and whoever thought that this year was expensive, that is going to pale in comparison to next year. Besides these remember the Fox academy awards are also coming to dvd.
cheers
:emoji_thumbsup:

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
This is great news.
I bought the Image disc of "Gold Rush" several years ago but after finding out that it was a revised version, I never got the desire to watch it.
I will definitely be buying these discs :emoji_thumbsup:

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
The silent version of The Gold Rush is definitely on my list. The old Kino version was badly tinted, and cut off the final gag. Our local library was fortunate to have a 16mm print of the complete silent cut (with organ score) for many years.

I only saw the 1942 Chaplin edit once, on television at a very early age, at a time when all his feature films were being shown on independant television once a week, and was not impressed.

The possibility that the Gold Rush will be available in its silent version is great - if it is complete, even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks