Warmness of the Marantz

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vince Chan, Nov 29, 2001.

1. Vince Chan

Vince Chan Stunt Coordinator

Where does the warmness of the Marantz receivers come from? The pre-amp section? Or the amps?

The reason I'm asking is I have a 'bright' amp (anthem mca-3) and I would like to know if it will sound warmers if hooked up to a Marantz 8200 used as a preamp for the front soundstage.

Should this fail, anyone recommend a warm sounding interconenct?

-Vince

2. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

How would you charcterize your Paradigm Monitor 3's? Also, what are your half-height walls made of. They look like they could reflect the sound from your speakers. Possibly causing it to sound brighter?

Jon

3. Vince Chan

I would characterize them as bright in my listening room. I know they are less bright in a bigger less-wall-panelled room so yes, the reflections are causing the brightness. I'd like a solution to the brightness that would not involve changing the esthetics of the room (aka foam panels, etc).

I have heard a 6200 in action in my room and I like the mellow sound. The panelling in the room gives the marantz output just the right amount of treble, otherwise I find the sound to be too distant and 'mushy'.

The equipment you see on the pics is quite dated BTW. Now that I have an external amp thats also quite bright, I'd like to know if it can be tamed by the pre-amp section of a Marantz receiver.

-Vince

4. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    Vince,

I use to own the monitor threes, and have always found them to be "bright" sounding speakers. I also felt they were lacking in the bass department. This was with a sony 777ES reciever.

I had the oppurtunity to listen to a set of monitor 3's using a denon AVR 3300 once, and although the sound seemed to be a bit warmer I still felt they sounded bright, and that they lacked bass. I never could quite understand how a speaker with an 8" driver could sound bright. Especially considering that their low frequency extension is rated down to 36Hz! but these speakers definatley don't have a warm sound. IMO, and I have since parted with my monitor 3's.

Thanks,

Greggor

5. Vince Chan

Yes the 3's are very bright and they will be gone soon now that I have found a pair of Active/40's to replace them with (possibly the last new pair in Canada!).

I'm still concerned that the room will induce brightness in even the 40's due to all the wood panelling, poster frames, etc.

6. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor