What's new

warmest sounding receiver. (1 Viewer)

Mike_Jo

Agent
Hi... wondering what is warmest sounding mid-price receiver (closest to tube sound if that is even possible) for somewhat bright sounding speakers with ribbon tweeters.

Denon
Harman
Onkyo
Rotel
Yamaha

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

Topher

Stunt Coordinator
I have to question the argument of warm/bright electronics. As long as the power supplies are supplying clean constant power, then shouldn't it be the same no matter the brand? Does this have something to do with something other than the amps? The DAC's? If someone could give a good reason, maybe it would make sense to me. I have heard so called warm and bright receivers with similar power output on the same speakers and couldn't tell a difference. Maybe I just don't have the golden ear? I am fully open to anything here, I just never understood it myself... not saying it isn't true.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I'd arrange them as follows from warmest to brightest...

Harman
Rotel
Denon
Onkyo
Yamaha

Of course if tube sound is really what you're looking for non of those will really do that for you. What I'd suggest then is to buy a cheaper receiver that sounds reasonably warm and then add a tube power amp for the mains.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Ummm...why did you buy 'bright' speakers? If you own them, maybe a bit of room treatments are in order.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Topher ... 2 amps with identical specs powering the exact same source through the exact same preamp should sound pretty indistinguishable you would think.
There are more to receivers than amps however. The DACS, as you mention, in A/V receivers, and the preamp in both A/V and 2-channel receivers to mention a couple.

NAD

Has anyone heard the new T773? A big heavy beast!!! For anyone interested in purchasing NAD, I am a dealer.

David A. Moritz
Superior Security Systems, LLC.
8W Chimney Rock Rd.
Bound Brook, NJ 08805
Tel: 732-563-0605 Ext. 3
Fax: 732-563-0836

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
James, "warm" usually refers to a receiver that emphasizes the vocals/mid-range while toning down the treble a bit. "Bright" is more treble, less mid-range."A gay thing?" Where did that come from? Never mind, I don't want to know! Gene

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Maybe James and gene should get together!
You're both in the SF Bay Area, you know!

Wait a minute!....."gay?"....." SF Bay Area?"
Hmmmmmm! :confused:

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Hey Rob!!! Some things are funny. That ain't! People elsewhere think everyone out here knows all about computers (Silicon Valley) and are expert wine tasters (Napa Valley) and, of course, we are all goofy! I'm none of those things! (not that there's anthing wrong with it!). I know you were only joking, but I had to put a stop to that line of thinking tooth sweet! (that means fast). Have a great Day! Gene

JamesGL

Stunt Coordinator
Living in SF, saying is that some "gay thing" is okay.
I am not gay, married but my wife has a bunch of gay friends and sometimes, I am clueless when it comes to some of the words they use and they tell me, it's a "gay thing".

Bigots have no business living in SF so sorry if I sounded like one.

JamesGL

Stunt Coordinator
David,

What is the best price you can get for a NAD T513?
Do you know what chip it uses?

RobWil

Supporting Actor

You forgot the quiche! :D

Hey .. it's cool! I am ex-Bay Area transplanted in San Diego :emoji_thumbsup:
I get the same shit from my wife's relatives back in Arkansas!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Hey James. I know you didn't mean anything by it. I was just confused by the way it was used. By the way, I owe your wifes friends an apology. "Goofy" was terribly in-appropriate (shame on me!). And Rob, I can't stand Quich either! You would think I was in the wrong place but I just love it here. Anyway, to get back to the issue at hand. I have an H/K 520, an Aiwa DV-75 and an Onkyo HT-500 and there is a difference in sound. The H/K is warm the Onkyo more neutral and the Aiwa brite.

Joel()Les

Agent
David: this is from NAD's website:

When I used their Dealer locator, I could not find your shop. Did I miss something?

FWIW, DMC is a sponsor of this board and authorized dealer. I would click on their link and contact them about pricing.

Mike_Jo

Agent
Wow! Thanks for all your inputs. Actually I am gettng Aurum Cantus speakers from China. I read that they work better with tubes so I will be using an integrated tube amp for stereo listening. However, I will still be using the same speakers for HT or multichannel audio so i presume that the tubiest sounding receiver will match it most. At least the receiver should be good for music and HT too.

Do not have the luxury to test the speakers so I will just base is on your suggestions.

BTW Aurum speakers uses a ribbon tweeter

How are HK receivers? Are they good hmm... better than denon or rotel? (please do not kill me for asking) given my choice in music - i.e. warm.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks