What's new

Warmest CD player? (1 Viewer)

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Trevor I'm sorry if you found my posts offensive or ignorant I was merely discussing a contrary oppinion to Chu's. I don't believe either of us intended to behave in an unproffesional manner nor mean any disrespect to any particiapant in this or any other thread on a discussion board.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I quite agree and extend a sincere hand of friendship to my friend north of the border. I rather suspect if we lived closer we'd find the opportunity to investigate matters and have far more in common than both of realize.

Sometimes dissenting opinions and positions, even when polarized, allow the cards to be clearly seen by all. Personally, I find BBC broadcasts of the English Parliament in action fascinating to watch. Further, I hope Andrew, as well as others, found the side blurb about capacitors losing their ability to hold a charge of interest. Perhaps it might prompt some enterprising people to create a CD with test tones and measure the output with a VOM thereby enabling them to determine if something is amis with their present equipment.

JohnMW

Second Unit
Real Name
John
Short answer: pick up a "warm" Denon DCM-380 from eCost for 100.00 shipped

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor

Hmmm. This gives us a serious test that can be used to evaluate the expensive cap mods that are available. It should be possible to "refurbish" the caps in an older player to see if you get the same effect as a cap upgrade.

Of course, if the more expensive caps don't degenerate as quickly as the standard ones, then there is a valid reason for the mods. It also gives scope for tuning a CD player for the sound you prefer.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Happy holidays to you Craig. Yes, I'd imagine that one could 'tune' the output of their CD player but then tone controls or equalizers achieve the same thing without being 'locked in' so to speak. Rarely, if ever, does one hear of people measuring the values of what they took out prior to putting something in. Kind of like having a car that's running ragged and putting top of the line performance wires in and attributing the difference in performance to the esoteric materials and construction. BTW, this issue with caps losing their ability to hold a charge can be an iffy thing. A manufacturer can get a batch in that tests well initially but then for whatever reasons, fails after a period of time. You can always contact whomever you're considering buying caps from (not the esoteric stuff) and asking them for recommendations on a better cap that can stand up to things like temperature. And if you're doing the work yourself, film caps might not be such a bad alternative. There's a lot of data available regarding durability under various conditions that's often not available to the general public.

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
Happy New Year, Chu.

Maybe the reason Black Gate, etc caps are so expensive is simply that they hold their ratings better. Has anyone ever done a comprehansive test on this issue?

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
What have things at HTF come to when a thread about the "sound" of electronics can't become a thread about beer without getting under someone's skin?

I'm kidding. :D

James, in all seriousness, my suspicion is that you're not happy with the performance of your system during CD playback. May I humbly suggest that you consider other elements, such as your speakers and your room characteristics/treatments (and perhaps even the software you're listening to), before you implicate your CD player and/or its DACs as the area for change.

Otherwise: most CD players I'm familiar with seem mighty warm after a Grolsch or two. ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks