Warmer Home Video Press Release: FRIENDS season One

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ronald Epstein, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

TV¹S MOST BEAUTIFUL FRIENDSHIP Š

FROM THE BEGINNING!

THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASON

OF AMERICA¹S #1 COMEDY SERIES

FRIENDS

Thrilling Fans On DVD And VHS April 30

Includes Never-Before-Seen Footage in Each Episode

BURBANK, CA. (February 13, 2002) More than 36 million viewers can¹t be wrong, so Warner Home Video (WHV) is satisfying fans by releasing the complete first season of

the comedy series, Friends, on VHS and DVD April 30. Responding to an unprecedented public demand, all 24 episodes -- nearly 10 full hours of programming -- featuring

special guest stars George Clooney, Helen Hunt, Noah Wyle, Jon Lovitz, Jill Goodacre and more‹will be available in extended versions, including previously unseen footage.

Friends: The Complete First Season boxed-set is priced at $49.98 SRP VHS and $69.98 SRP DVD.

With fans already celebrating the news that Friends will return in September for its ninth and final season, the release of Friends: The Complete First Season caps a

remarkable year for this popular show. In fact, The New York Times recently praised the Friends series as "a model for how to stay fresh by shaking up its characters¹ lives."

With ratings up more than 18% from last year, the Emmy-winning Friends‹starring Lisa Kudrow (Phoebe), Courtney Cox-Arquette (Monica), Jennifer Aniston (Rachel), David

Schwimmer (Ross), Matthew Perry (Chandler) and Matt LeBlanc (Joey)‹ was honored with this year¹s People Choice Awards for Favorite Television Comedy Series and Favorite

Female Television Performer (Jennifer Aniston). Friends was nominated for Golden Globe awards for Best Television Comedy and Best Supporting Actress (Jennifer Aniston) and

for SAG Awards for Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Comedy Series (Jennifer Aniston) and Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series.

The Friends cast issued the following statement regarding their decision to do one more season: "We are enormously pleased and excited to be returning for a ninth season.

We could not ignore the outpouring of public support for the show and we are looking forward to creating one more season with the best writers, producers, directors and

production people in television."

The DVD version of Friends: The Complete First Season is loaded with special features, including an insightful commentary for the pilot episode with executive producers Kevin

S. Bright, Marta Kauffman and David Crane; A Peek At Central Perk, which takes viewers on an interactive tour of the set to discover inside secrets from the crew; Friends Of

Friends, a video guide to season one¹s special guest appearances; How Well Do You Know Your Friends? video trivia challenge; The One With The Trailer Of Season 2 and

cast profiles.

EPISODE SYNOPSIS:

1. The One Where It All Began: Monica¹s old high school friend, Rachel, decides to move in with her after leaving her fiancé at the altar. Meanwhile, Ross takes an apartment

in Monica¹s building to be closer to his friends, Chandler and Joey.

2. The One With The Sonogram At The End: Ross¹ ex-wife Carol tells him that she and her lover, Susan, plan to raise their baby together, but that he is invited to the

sonogram. Meanwhile Monica prepares for dinner with her parents.

3. The One With The Thumb: Phoebe¹s bank mistakenly credits her account, but her attempts to fix the situation only bring her more money, as well as a soda with a thumb

floating in it. Meanwhile, Chandler teaches Joey how to smoke.

4. The One With George Stephanopoulos: Joey and Chandler invite Ross to a hockey game for his birthday, but his nose gets broken by a flying puck and the guys spend

the night in the hospital. Meanwhile, the girls discuss life and guys.

5. The One With The East German Laundry Detergent: Monica and Joey try to break up Joey¹s ex-girlfriend Angela¹s current relationship, Chandler and Phoebe try to break

up with their dates and Ross teaches Rachel how do to laundry.

6. The One With The Butt: Chandler starts dating a beautiful woman, who is not only married, but also has another boyfriend, a situation which isn¹t as fun as he expects it to

be. Meanwhile, Joey is cast in a movie, as Al Pacino¹s "butt double."

7. The One With The Blackout: During a blackout in New York City, Chandler is locked in an ATM with beautiful supermodel Jill Goodacre. Meanwhile, the gang converges on

Monica's apartment to tell scary stories and talk about sex.

8. The One Where Nana Dies Twice: Ross and Monica help their parents (Elliott Gould and Christina Pickles) with their grandmother¹s funeral arrangements. Meanwhile, a

co-worker makes Chandler question his sexual orientation.

9. The One Where Underdog Gets Away: Everyone¹s plans for Thanksgiving fall through one-by-one, culminated by the Underdog balloon escaping from the Macy¹s Parade.

Meanwhile, Ross petitions Carol for "belly time" so he can bond.

10. The One With The Monkey: Ross gets a pet monkey with which he experiences the typical struggles of a new relationship. Meanwhile, the gang throws a "dateless" New

Year¹s Eve party, but end up bringing dates anyway.

11. The One With Mrs. Bing: Monica and Phoebe cause a guy to have an accident and begin a "relationship" with him while he¹s in a coma. Meanwhile, Chandler¹s famous

trash-novelist mom (Morgan Fairchild) comes for a visit.

12. The One With The Dozen Lasagnas: Rachel¹s boyfriend Paolo comes on to Phoebe while she is giving him a massage, prompting Rachel to swear off all men, including

Ross. Meanwhile, Monica has made all these lasagnas...

13. The One With The Boobies: Chandler accidentally sees Rachel¹s "boobies" and she decides to get even by seeing his "thing." Meanwhile, Joey finds out his dad has

been having an affair and Phoebe¹s shrink boyfriend drives everyone nuts.

14. The One With The Candy Hearts: Joey and Chandler go on a double date, but to Chandler's horror, his date is his ex-girlfriend Janice. Meanwhile, Monica, Rachel and

Phoebe have a "bad boyfriend cleansing ritual" which gets out of hand.

15. The One With The Stoned Guy: One of Phoebe¹s clients (Jon Lovitz) auditions Monica for the new restaurant he wants to open, but shows up at her home stoned and is

more interested in munchies than her gourmet appetizers.

16. The One With Two Parts, Part 1: Chandler and Joey meet Phoebe¹s twin sister, Ursula. Meanwhile Ross, Carol and Susan begin Lamaze classes and Rachel falls off the

roof. Helen Hunt and Leila Kenzle make guest appearances.

17. The One With Two Parts, Part 2: After her accident, Monica takes Rachel to the hospital where they make a double date with two cute doctors (George Clooney and Noah

Wyle). Meanwhile, Phoebe has a confrontation with Ursula.

18. The One With All The Poker: The girls convince the guys to teach them poker, but wind up losing big-time. They demand a re-match, but lose that as well. Meanwhile,

Rachel is interviewed for her "dream job" as a buyer at Saks.

19. The One Where The Monkey Gets Away: Rachel loses Ross¹ pet monkey and the gang go on an all-out search, but a run in with a woman she snubbed in high school,

now working for Animal Control, turns the search into a fiasco.

20. The One With The Evil Orthodontist: Rachel¹s visit to her ex-fiancé Barry leads to sex, and winds up breaking up his impending wedding with her ex-maid-of-honor, Mindy.

Meanwhile, Chandler has problems after a great first date.

21. The One With Fake Monica: Monica finds the woman who has stolen her credit card number and winds up befriending her, because she loves her zest for life. Meanwhile

Ross has monkey problems and Joey searches for a stage name.

22. The One With The Ick Factor: Monica gets involved with a guy she thinks is a college senior, only to find out he¹s a senior in high school. Meanwhile, Phoebe fills in as

Chandler¹s assistant and finds out that none of his co-workers like him.

23. The One With The Birth: Carol is in labor, but the childish competition between Ross and Susan forces her to throw them out. When they get locked in a janitor¹s closet

with Phoebe, they fear they may miss the birth of their child.

24. The One Where Rachel Finds Out: While Ross is away in China, Joey lets it slip that he is in love with Rachel, prompting her to re-evaluate how she feels, but when she

goes to the airport to tell him, she is greeted with a surprise.

About Warner Home Video:

With operations in 78 international territories - more than the video division of any other studio - Warner Home Video commands the largest distribution infrastructure in the global

video marketplace. WHV¹s film library is the largest of any studio, offering top-quality new and vintage titles from the repertoires of Warner Bros. Pictures, Turner Entertainment

Company, Castle Rock Entertainment, HBO Home Video and New Line Home Entertainment.

2. Beau

Beau Supporting Actor

No affense, but this is old news.

3. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Wow, that first reply has no relevant information what-so-ever.

Lookie, VHS has an MSRP of $20 less than DVD. I didn't know tape was that much less expensive than disc.

4. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

I love the casts explanation for the 9th season. Talk about Spin City. It's like they would have done the show for free.

5. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

6. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

To continue the off-topic discussion:
    Plain and simple, Ron received it so he posted it. Just because many people already know the information doesn't mean that Ron won't post it. Also, I would highly doubt that it was an attempt to show that WB is hypocritical, just a relay of information.
    Back on topic:
    My preorder is in. I was on the fence, but my wife forcefully shoved me over. [​IMG]
    -Chad

7. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    You're right, of course. I shouldn't presume to interpret Ron's intentions, sorry. But *I* found it hypocritical for the reasons stated.

8. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

Malcolm,

No need to apologize. Personally, I fully agree with you and hypocritical overtones of the press release. I guess I was just clarifying, more for Beau, why this seems late.

-Chad

9. Skoobooz

Skoobooz Stunt Coordinator

Jay
    Were all of these episodes in the first season? I mean, I assume they were, it's just surprising. I thought some of these plot developments didn't happen until later in the show (ie: Rachel finding out about Ross' crush and going to the airport to see him with another woman). Is anyone here familiar enough with the show to clarify?

10. James Miller

James Miller Stunt Coordinator

11. Kurt N

Kurt N Stunt Coordinator

Before anyone gets upset, let me say I will be getting this immediately upon release.

Now--I too am amazed at how much happened the first season. I guess I lost interest sooner than I thought.

So, why buy? Because I can. Hopefully I'll begin to care about these characters again. Hopefully it will sell a ton so Warner learns season sets are the way to go.

12. Rob M.

Rob M. Stunt Coordinator

These are definitely first season episodes. Jeremy, you're probably thinking of the season premiere of season two, which is when Julie is actually introduced at the airport.
    There's a glaring error in the description of "The One Where Rachel Finds Out." Chandler, not Joey, blurts out the secret.
    Yes, I've seen these episodes far too many times. And yet, I preordered the set a month ago. [​IMG]

13. Paul Chi

Paul Chi Stunt Coordinator

I am definately going to buy this set. I have been waiting forever. I am glad to see Warner finally doing the right thing by going away from the "Best of" series. April 30th is going to be an expensive day with this release and the Jerry Maguire SE release.

14. Craig_T

Craig_T Second Unit

If these Warner idiots actually cared about responding to public demand they'd be releasing season sets of South Park instead of their "Insult to Injury" crap.

15. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I posteds it because Warner made a point

of asking me to promote this.

16. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

And it's a good thing to promote. We responded to the "Best Of" Friends sets by not purchasing them, and making our voice heard that we only want season box sets of TV product on DVD. Now it's time to buy [​IMG] I can't wait to see all of the first season.

17. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Supporting Actor

Based on the "best ofs", this is the best looking TV series quality-wise to be released on DVD so far---they just look incredible! Check out the color & detail in the backgrounds--I could spend hours just looking at their quilt alone! (Of course this compares with the months I could spend looking at Jennifer[​IMG] ).
    I can't wait for this set!

18. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

I know none of this is new, but I wonder why the Rembrandts "I'll Be There For You" is not included, especially since all of us on this board refused to buy the Best Of's. Perhaps a money issue, or just a gimmick for other suckers to buy the Best Of's besides the Season sets?

19. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

20. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Actually, I'm going about it the other way. Though I only have a passing interest in Friends, I'm probably going to buy the season set to demonstrate to Warner that this IS the way to put out TV shows. I am pointedly not buying the US version of South Park, or Friends, or anything else that is put out half-assed. Who knows, I might end up liking it. If not, I can give it to one of my sisters.

Not buying something that's done right just send them the message that no one cares if it's done right.