Warm vs Bright Receiver..What would you do..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard_s, Apr 14, 2002.

1. Richard_s

Richard_s Second Unit

Fist some history since many of you have helped me on this topic already. Put in new JBL N26 + Ncenter had sibilance problems prdominantly with the n-center. Based on this Yamaha, Onkyo and Dennon were recommended. I later found the reason why my N-center was much more sibilant than the N26's and also that the remaining sibilance is definitely the source. I have an old DPL (some surround mode) VSX-602s receiver. Now with things adjusted as best I can I love the crisp sound (sibilance is not a problem). I would hate to compromise the "brightness" that my system now exhibits I like what I hear now. Also I have the Sony SA-WM40 if that matters.

Would the recommendations be the same for a receiver given the "brighness" now is great and I have no sibilance issue? Again $300 to $400 range.

Are all DTS, DPL II and DD5.1 decoder processors created equal or do some brands give better and more accurate channel separation etc.

Thanks ALL

2. Steve Zimmerman

Steve Zimmerman Second Unit

My opinion is that for under $400 and with the speakers you own you should simply buy a quality brand receiver that has the features you want and not worry too much about it sonic signature. The Denon 882 (same as the 1802), for example, has the features you're looking for and can be readily found for $330 online.

In other words, in that price range, I don't think different brands of receivers are going to sound drastically different.

--Steve