What's new

Warm up time - is too much harmful? (1 Viewer)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Prior to settling in to watch a DVD or some high-def programming, I will typically turn on my Hitachi 51SWX20B HDTV and let it warm up for at least 30-60 minutes. However, sometimes stuff comes up and I will walk away from the HT room only to leave the TV on (with no input on of course) for several hours at a time. My question is this...am I doing a lot of damage to the TV by doing this or is 5 hours of "simulated" viewing per night typical for the average HDTV?

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
The general recommendation is to do calibration after the TV has been on and warming up for about a half hour. This means that when you are going to watch something, it is OK to turn on the TV half an hour in advance to let it settle into the calibrated settings.

Turn-ons generally affect the TV set life adversely. Although I don't know at what point it is better to leave the set on if you are coming back soon, by and large if you leave it on for more than an hour, and the TV is well ventilated, all you are wasting is electricity.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks