What's new

Warm or Bright? (1 Viewer)

TomH

Second Unit
Would anyone take a shot at classifying the following Amps as "warm" or "bright"
Adcom
Acurus
ATI
B&K
Denon
Marantz
Outlaw
Parasound
I have heard the argument that amps are neutral and do not have a characteristic but I beleive that matching a bright amp with a bright speaker can be a disaster. My B&K sounds warm to me.
Tom

Curtis_Edwards

Stunt Coordinator
I can classify only the ones that I have used.
Adcom - neutral
B&K - warm
Marantz - warm
Denon - bright
I think that some of your warm/neutral/bright characteristics are also dependent on the speakers used and the receiver driving it.

Drew Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
Adcom went through two generations of bipolar amps (3 digit model number), and currently offers both FET (two and three channel amps with four digit model numbers) and bipolar (> 3 channels with the current numbering scheme) units.
The current FET amps are definately neutral.
ii suffix bipolar amps are a bit brighter, but IMHO not offensively so and seem to gain a bit in bass slam.
The older bipolar amps are allegedly bright; although given the decent selling prices of the newer amps on the used market I don't think this is an issue.

JohanK

Second Unit
I think the room and the speakers matter more than the amp. Nevertheless:
Adcom: bright (have not listened to newer FET amps)
Acurus: ???
ATI: bright
B&K: warm
Denon: warm
Marantz: warm
Outlaw: bright
Parasound: warm
Rotel: warm
There is some varition; i.e. one amp's 'warm' is not equal to another amp's 'warm'.
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html
Link Removed

Alex F.

Second Unit
Adcom's MOSFET--actually HEXFET--amps (e.g., GFA-5500 and 5400), based on Nelson Pass's design work, are neutral to slightly on the warmish side. They offer exceptional performance, especially for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zaydarecov
Recent bookmarks