What's new

Ward-Gatti III (1 Viewer)

Blu

Screenwriter
The rubber match of one of the best fight series that I have seen in a while concludes tonight!

Two brilliant throwback warriors, one set to retire the other positioning himself for a title shot, find out who has the stuff tonight. If anyone has seen I or II then they will be as excited as I am to see III.

Mickey Ward and Arturo Gatti tonight!

Blu

Screenwriter
I'm going for both fighters. I've been a fan of both for a long time and know they will give it their all.

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
Wow is right! Not at all like the second fight. It's as close to a real-life "Rocky" fight as you'll ever get. Complete with blood and broken bones.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I happened to get this fight recorded on my ReplayTV, so I checked it out, and was impressed by the rock'em sock'em fight ethic by both fighters. Gatti was smart in how he fought the last 6 rounds with a mucked up right hand. Ward was just a brawler who, if he had better training and instruction in the corner, could have beaten Gatti, but he just didn't know how to take advantage of the situation.

Blu

Screenwriter
There is no amount of training to help Mickey Ward. He just isn't physically gifted with speed or quick feet. He knows what his strengths are which are a iron jaw and endurance. He has always basically stood in front of people and pounded on them. The jab isn't a familiar weapon to Mickey Ward and he is often outclassed but always rises to a fight even on very short notice in his earlier club days on ESPN and USA network. Sometimes he didn't win (12 losses) but his opponents always knew they were in a dog fight.

Arturo Gatti is a physically gifted fighter with no quit and speed to burn. He always takes damage in his fights to give more damage. He has defensive skills but is more of a offensive fighter and should earn a title shot which will probably be a easier fight than Ward gave him.

This was the best fight trilogy I believe I have ever seen.
Thank you to both fighters!

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
I agree- this is the best trilogy of fights I have ever seen as well. Also, it's a good example of why I love Gatti as a fighter: he has determination unlike any other I've seen. My favorite part of the fight:

(end of round two)
Gatti, leaning his head on his trainers chest wincing in pain: "My hand, my right hand!" (for those who don't know, he apparently broke his right hand on Ward's hip bone during round two)

Trainer: "What do you want me to do."

Gatti: "I WANT TO CONTINUE."

That is a real fighter- he has a friggin' broken hand and he continues to fight EIGHT more rounds and continues to win. I understand that many fighters besides Gatti also continue under adverse circumstances, however, Gatti just seems to never quit and always give everything he's got. I love fighters like that- I'd prefer to watch someone rise from adversity, even if they don't win, than to watch someone never get touched and score a knockout early on.

Also, anyone else hoping that Vitali Klitschko (sp?) gets to fight Lewis this month? I'm hopeful, but not counting on it.

Blu

Screenwriter
The heavyweights have become the joke of boxing.
I find much better and more entertaining bouts in the lower divisions. Lewis has a glass jaw, Holyfield is past his prime, Morrison has AIDS, Bowe is a mental case, and Tyson is just Tyson, Rahman was a Douglas.

Yeah Klitschko would be a better fight than Johnson obviously but we'll see if it happens.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
Oops... After watching the fight a second time I realized that Gatti hurt his hand during the fourth round. Nonetheless, he still has brass balls (as does Ward).

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
I was hosting a HTF meeting Sat. so I missed the fight, but you better believe if I had remembered it was coming on I would have surely stopped LOTR:TT and but the fight on in HD.

The second fight was the best fight I've ever seen in my life. Me and my friend was so wired up after we seen that fight, that we decided to go to Miami the following weekend right after we watched the fight.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks