Warcraft 3 has gone gold!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kami, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

Be prepared for another life changing game from Blizzard. I've played the beta and rest assured it is an amazing game (especially after the most recent patches). This game is a must-buy for any PC owner, especially if you enjoy RTS games.

In stores July 3.

2. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

I'm getting it, but I'm not at all convinced that it's all it could have been. I played the beta up to a certain point, and each patch tried to fix what was wrong but never even came close. I stopped playing and just followed the game for awhile, and the same complaints just kept coming up after each patch, so I never really felt like playing it again.

The single player looks good though, and I hope something can be salvaged from multiplayer.

3. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

For some reason, this game doesn't appeal to me at all. I got spoilt by Total Annihilation. I always end up noticing how superior TA's user interface is to every other RTS game ever made. And it doesn't help that TA actually feels like you're waging war, while all the other games have this minor skirmish feel to them.

Hmmm, only Shogun: Total War captures the "war" feeling, but the user interface was kind of clunky.

I have this sad feeling that no RTS will ever match TA's fantastic user interface, epic scope, and gameplay depth.

4. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I'd have to disagree with you about TA. It was fun for about 30 minutes. It seemed more action based and less strategic. Just a different style of RTS that didn't do it for me.

I think Homeworld and it's complex UI is the best RTS I've ever played. Though the Warcraft series (including Starcraft) are close behind. Ooo! -and I almost forgot Myth! Loved those games too.

I will be all over Warcraft III on July 3rd.

5. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

My but WCIII is a pricey little bastard, isn't it? $59.99 for the regular edition? Yikes. [​IMG]

6. Eric Nees

Eric Nees Agent

I'm going to wait for the weekly ads after the game is out. I'm pretty sure places like Best Buy won't be selling the game for $60.

7. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

Indeed, but when Best Buy puts it on sale at the usual $10 off, it'll still be what a normal game costs regularly ($49.99).

That blows.

8. James_Kiang

James_Kiang Screenwriter

I'm not entirely sure that I am going to pick it up myself but for those of you worried about the price here's an idea. If you have an Electronics Boutique near you go ahead and pick it up right away. You'll pay a little more but when the lower price ads come out just get a price match voucher from EB and turn it in to get a gift certificate for the difference plus 10%.

9. Graeme Clark

And you can always return it for another game if it's crap.

10. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Hmm, I heard that some EBs are refusing returns when a game is opened, so that may no longer be an option!
    As for TA...I found it very realistic strategy-wise...I actually pulled WW2-like military maneuvers that confounded and amazed my friends! Yep...nothing like luring my enemies by attacking with a medium-sized force and then retreating, making sure the enemy follows while my REAL army flanks them and totally annihilates them! Mooohahahahah!
    Oh and there was one game when I airlifted my commander into the middle of the enemy's base (I was attacked on 3 fronts by 3 other players, and was desperate!) and nearly won the game! But, my commander got caught in a weapon's factory chain reaction and well I got my ass kicked after that. [​IMG] But it was a great game! You can NEVER do that with the other games...there is no allowance for such creativity. TA has the scope and breadth to allow practice of REAL military tactics. And, I found game balance to be extremely good...cranking out one single unit and rushing the player rarely works...you need a good balance of different units to accomplish good results...sea, air, and land must work together or your ass is grass! I found myself using the same tactics used by WW2 commanders...attack-and-feint, blitzkrieg, flank/encircle, softening of targets with air-forces, ship-bombardment before sea-transports achieve beachhead, hit-and-run skirmishes, suicidal raids, creating weak defensive points as a means of trapping the enemy, "trench" warfare, guerilla fighting, etc. I could literally use every military tactic written by Sun-Tzu to full effect. Not so with the other RTS games, except Shogun.
    Whoops, I'm off-topic...I hope you guys enjoy Warcraft 3!

11. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

12. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Woohoo. PC & Mac versions in the same box. Thanks Blizzard! [​IMG]

13. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I won't buy it until the price goes down. $60 is a tad much

14. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

aigh - I'll buy it. probably will pay the full price. got a credit to use up at babagges. I've played the beta some - I'm pretty sure it'll be good for some multi-player mayhem.

15. Graeme Clark

16. BrianB

BrianB Producer

17. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

its probably 60.00 instead of the usual 50.00 because it took something like 84 years to develop. [​IMG]

18. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

60 bucks! YIKES! no way...not unless someone sells if for 49 or less...This isn't a nintendo 64 game!

19. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Every Blizzard game takes 84 years to develop.

20. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor