War of the worlds -only center speaker?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by rick bie, Mar 10, 2004.

1. rick bie

rick bie Stunt Coordinator

I picked up the George pal version of "War of the worlds" awhile ago and finally sat down to view the DVD. Upon listening I was surprised to find that the center speaker seemed to be the only source of sound for the movie. The Denon receiver I have was showing Dolby stereo on the read out, but the rest of the speakers were negligible as giving any sound at all. Is this normal?, other older movies I have on DVD seem to have at least some sound coming from the front sides. I calibrated the system so I don't believe that the problem. The video is excellant, it seems a shame that they wouldn't have spiced up the audio.

2. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

The film was originally released in mono, which is how it is on the DVD. I have no problem with that. Other movies may be encoded as two channel mono (the same material in both channels), which creates a ghost center image.

3. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

The bummer is that the laserdisc had a *GLORIOUS* sounding 2.0 PCM stereo track that was mastered from the 2-track session recordings (similar to the Meet Me in St. Louis laserdisc SE).

I have no idea why they didn't use this *real* (not "faked") stereo track for the DVD. It's one of those cases I have a hard time watching the movie because I either watch the LD and which it had the picture quality of the DVD or watch the DVD and which it had the audio of the laser!

-dave

4. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    The Region 2 DVD has stereo sound. Don't know if it's the same as the laser disc.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Thankfully, I'm not feeling DaViD's pain, since I never had or saw/heard the LaserDisc. Thus, in my ignorance, I've been quite happy with the current DVD.

6. GregK

GregK Screenwriter

I heard from a source in the know (yeah, I can't list the name) that it was a simple mistake at Paramount. Someone grabbed the wrong elements for the DVD, and by the time the mistake was caught, the Region One DVDs were pressed.. so they decided to leave it alone and list it as mono.

Regarding the WOTW stereo: I don't think the true stereo tracks were ever found by Paramount. This is not a big surprise, as many stereo tracks from this time period are now lost. There's even been some debate if the original release had a true stereo mix. If it had a true theatrical stereo release, it was very limited. The remix used for the Laserdisc might have used true stereo music tracks, but it sounds like a Chase remix to me. (But a well done one at that) Note that the remastered stereo laserdisc also included the original mono track on one analog track while the other analog track provided a music and effects only track.

7. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

That's a good sign that the stereo track might actually be a *real* stereo track...as they had access to the source stems to provide the music only a effects tracks on the laser.

I read somewhere when that LD came out that it was like meet me in st louis...apparently the directional multi-track recordings (music/effects) were located for most/all of the movie and so they could recreate a bonifide stereo presentation for the laser.

Is there a R0 DVD (NTSC) version with a 2.0 soundtrack? [​IMG]