What's new

War of the Worlds damaged my SVS! (1 Viewer)

DevinJC

Stunt Coordinator
heh, I have the same sub as Matt, except mine is still naked MDF. Looks like ass over in the corner. Plus, my wife wanted it to have a small footprint, so it's about 3 feet tall. Which makes it look even worse unfinished, as you cannot miss the big bastard.

Everyone laughs at it. Until they hear it.

Once we pick a wood color for the room, I'll veneer it, until then... U G L Y you aint got no alibi.

And Matt, I can't imagine going from DIY to anything else. Sure you can buy better than the Dayton 15/240w... but you can also build a lot better even cheaper. ;)

Think I might turn mine into a behind the couch table... if I don't go IB.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Here's the non-geek version of my post above:

If you set your subwoofer (or any speaker for that matter) using the main-volume level set at "X", when you listen at any volume level LOWER than that number your ears will perceive a drop in the bass level.

If a receiver also does EQ adjustments, at lower main-volume levels treble frequencies will also be perceived to be at a lower level.

Personally I always set up systems at the level me or the owner listens at regularly, and not some level a director somewhere demanded.

JeffLab

Stunt Coordinator
Lance, just saw your posts about the MCACC, the thing is, when it sets the volume to 0.0db as a reference during the auto setup, 0.0db is not the maximum on the volume scale.
Pioneer actually goes up to +12.0 db on the volume control, so its technically not at the maximum setting, although I've never ventured into the "positive" range, nor do I see a need to...

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Jeff. My Technics SA-DA8 from 2001 must have been one of the last receivers with a mechanical/motor-driven volume control so am not always sure about more modern models.

My next receiver will be from the Elite series, so like to try to keep up with them (this was my very first reciever [this is someone elses]).

C

Chris*Liberti

The Pioneer MCACC sets the sub level too high on my reciever, it is probably 12db hot with the auto setup. Also regarding the MCACC, like other auto setups for any THX setup, it sets the reference volume to 0db, anything below that is actual below reference level (i.e.-10db is 10 db below reference.)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but to truly attain ref level with a particular receiver, doesn't a specific set of loudpseakers with a specific SPL rating need to be used with it AND be located in a room of a specific volume?

Because I'm pretty sure if this receiver was used in a dorm room with some Klipsch speakers, the 0dB setting would cause an influx of students at the local ear clinic. :D

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Definitely a limiter in play. The thing with these SVS subs is they don't have that big of a limiter in play so it allows the enthusiasts to choose his limit. This should not be a deterrent because it would be like you having a limiter in your car telling you how fast to drive. Do you really want that?

Anyway I bet it was a bum driver. My friend flaked his the same way and it hasn't happened ever since. SVS took care of it quickly as they are now.

Rajen

Agent
Just my 2 cents worth. I watched the bass scenes in WOTW at above reference levels with my PB12-ISD/2 multiple times and while it rattled out the filling off the sheet rock in the living room, the sub did not falter once. I have tried to bottom out this sub unsuccessfully on many occasions. Maybe you had a faulty driver initially, hope all works out well.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi all,

Lance, the Lexicon processors still have a "loudness" function. And it actually changes its "curve" based on the master volume control. So the softer/lower the volume...the more of a boost you get..:)

Regarding subwoofer "limiters". There are many different types. What you have is the white and black of it...and then infinite shades of grey. The white is completely unfiltered--ni limiters, the black is so heavily filtered that the subwoofer may lose 6,9...even 12-15dB of clean output capability.

So with a subwoofer that is "idiot proof"(you can't bottom it)...the drawback tends to be...you also lose TONs of clean output capability---especially

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
I have a Pioneer Elite VSX56TXi and the PB12+2. I played WOTW the other day and both my wife and I ran screaming into the street. The dog ran off and still hasn't come home. . . I let Pioneer set the room but I can hardly go over -20 on a hot movie like that.

Since then I have played the movie several times still staying at -20 and it is so fricking loud it is nuts. I run my sub 6dB hot on the bottom to compensate for hearing as was mentioned earlier.

I would not know what I would do at -8. . .WOW!!!

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
LOL, my lame JBL system ate it up in DTS - but I was not cranking it. My Klipsch system could take it - take it hard :D

Lame movie, great special effects and sounds - probably another reference disc.

Dan_J_H.

Stunt Coordinator
I got a new driver from SVS a few weeks ago. I must of had a defective driver because the new one works great! I played WOTW last night for a friend and he was just amazed by the powerful bass.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
Umm...my SVS B12-Plus/4 twins experienced no problems handling the DTS soundtrack of WOTW whatsoever.
However, the house might have sustained structural damage while receiving heavy doses of high amplitude, low bass signals produced by these babies instead!!... :D

-THTS

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
No problems @ -10 dB below REF Level, ... generating over 106+ dBc** (Fast LFE SPL Peaks) @ my 'sweet spot' in my 20' x 30' w/10' high vaulted ceiling HT/family room playing WOTW in DTS w/Force-ON Matrix 6.1! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

As usual, my 3-1/2 year old SVS 25-31PCi (SN: 00034 received APR '02) easily moved the floor, couch, walls, air, & pant-legs throughout my seating areas in my HT/family room when the encoded sub-sonic LFE called for it and it was most glorious!!! :) ;)

**My usual once or twice a month Friday NITE DVD SPL Levels!!!

Phil

MikeGee

Second Unit
-8 db on a DTS track? Damn that must be pretty loud. The loudest i've gone on a DTS track was i believe -20 and i seldom do that because it knocks pictures off the walls upstairs and downstairs. All this talk about war of the worlds and now i'm gonna watch it and see what all the fuss is about. See if my Quatro is up to the challange.

-- 2 hours later...
Wow. that was pretty intense indeed. Certainly the biggest subwoofer workout movie i've seen to date on my system. Totally awesome track.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
just brought home my new PB10isd. I sold my +2 (big mistake) and bought the little guy for temporary duty until I finish putting my new speaker system together.

After having already watched WOTW using my +2 at -20 (DTS) and running screaming into the streets we finally settled down, the dog came home yesterday. . . LOL. . Anyway already knowing what WOTW sounds like played "right" so to speak I couldn't wait to run the little guy through it's paces.

It took me a little more time to get the baby setup properly and the levels set. Typically I like my bass 4 to 5dB hot as our normal listening level is under -20 with -20 being max unless we get a DVD that is quiet at that level then we compensate accordinaly.

After running the PB10 for about 20 hours I thought it was time to put WOTW on and flex her muscle. . .The bass was there alright, not the energy level as the +2 but it was there in prodigious quantities. She shook the house made us both grin from ear to ear. My DVD actually runs hot on DTS so I had to limit it to -25 using DD I ran it -20.

My room is 12x17x8 but it juts off into the kitchen on one end. If I had not lived with the +2 for the past year I would think the PB10 to be all anyone could ever want. She does go low and loud with no signs of distress period. I think the +2 is actually more detailed and somewhat cleaner, certainly more headroom but I'm picking nits here.

For all intents the PB10isd is more than enough. I find myself being proud of her and amazed how sweet she really is. What a great little sub. At its price point there are no losers here. Although I will move up this first quarter when I buy the whole 7.1 system the little guy is still a keeper.

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
yeah, definately a reference movie for subs.

when i was watching it, i knew i would see posts in a few days of somoene breaking their poor sub. i had it cranked as high as my speakers would want to go, and even kicked on an extra boost to my subs. they handled it in stride. gotta love dual velodyne DD-18's.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
When you guys say you're running these DVD's at"-20", are you talking about the overall volume, or the subwoofer level?

Sorry for the dumb question.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
"gotta love dual velodyne DD-18's."

Why would someone who had a 10 thousand dollar sub (2 DD18s)even need to comment in a thread about a 400 dollar subwoofer or even a 1100 dollar +2.??? Kinda tells you something about the cheaper SVS. . . LOL. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks