What's new

WAR OF THE WORLDS ( 1953) fully restored 4K version with extras now on iTunes ! (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have a hard time putting value to digital content and while I know there are more and more digital movies offering lossless and or immersive audio. I do not even buy physical media with Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus anymore so another reason to not purchase digital. But I hate the idea I do not own what I am spending money on and it is harder to buy something that doesn't live up to in many cases to the physical disc. I have passed on Apple TV and number of times and also Roku and NAS set up.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have a hard time putting value to digital content and while I know there are more and more digital movies offering lossless and or immersive audio. I do not even buy physical media with Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus anymore so another reason to not purchase digital. But I hate the idea I do not own what I am spending money on and it is harder to buy something that doesn't live up to in many cases to the physical disc. I have passed on Apple TV and number of times and also Roku and NAS set up.
Such a limitation is something I can never do as a film lover.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
We recently bought an ATV, not with buying movies in mind, but to watch streaming content from Netflix and Amazon Prime. We have mostly watched original series with the ATV, but the occasional movie is also a bonus.

I have found that having the opportunity to stream a movie has slowed down my purchases of blu rays. I have too many discs that I’ve only watched once.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have found that having the opportunity to stream a movie has slowed down my purchases of blu rays. I have too many discs that I’ve only watched once.

I am the same way -- too many discs that have only been watched once. Streaming gives me an inexpensive alternative to sample new films, and also sometimes buy digital copies at a much lower price than discs. It's difficult to rationalize spending $25 on a UHD disc when I can spend under $10 for a 4K digital copy when I may only watch the film once or twice over a 10-15 year span. Heck, last night we watched my DVD copy of Carrie for the first time since 2001 (I keep track of when we watch titles via DVD Profiler).

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Once you purchase that disc it is yours and you do not need the internet to watch it. And your dependent on an internet connection for all digital versions online. Also I did not invest in better equipment over the years to go back to Dolby Digital which I honestly hated and still do.

But I do love this movie and would love to own it even with a mono or stereo track. Heck that would be preferable because that is how it was originally. Just don't use Dolby Digital!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Once you purchase that disc it is yours and you do not need the internet to watch it. And your dependent on an internet connection for all digital versions online. Also I did not invest in better equipment over the years to go back to Dolby Digital which I honestly hated and still do.
Hey, do as you please, but I can't do it as I love too many classic movies.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Once you buy a movie or TV show from iTunes, you do not need the internet to watch it. You do own the file and it’s saved on your computer’s hard drive available to you at will. Yes, it’s not a physical disc.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Once you buy a movie or TV show from iTunes, you do not need the internet to watch it. You do own the file and it’s saved on your computer’s hard drive available to you at will. Yes, it’s not a physical disc.
Then what do you do with the file?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

But I do love this movie and would love to own it even with a mono or stereo track. Heck that would be preferable because that is how it was originally. Just don't use Dolby Digital!
Once you “purchase” a film you can download it to your computer or phone or tablets. No internet required other than to download it the first time.

Also many of the newer films are available in Dolby Atmos, 7.1, etc.

I sill buy physical discs but am purchasing more and more digital content as the benefits far outweigh the negatives.

Like Crawdaddy says, it’s your money. Do what you want with it.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Either watch it on your computer or stream it to your Apple TV. Unfortunately iTunes downloads are limited to 1080p. They won't let you download 4K. I don't believe Vudu will allow 4K downloads either.
I don’t believe any of the streaming sites allow 4K downloads.....yet.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I don’t believe any of the streaming sites allow 4K downloads.....yet.
That is correct. I have yet to download any films via iTunes, or any other service, even in a lower resolution, though. I just do not see a need. Worrying about not having Internet access these days is almost like being worried about not having electrical power -- when it does go down, you deal with it until it's back up. If our Internet connection does happen to be down, I have shelves full of discs I can watch until service is restored.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That is correct. I have yet to download any films via iTunes, or any other service, even in a lower resolution, though. I just do not see a need. Worrying about not having Internet access these days is almost like being worried about not having electrical power -- when it does go down, you deal with it until it's back up. If our Internet connection does happen to be down, I have shelves full of discs I can watch until service is restored.
Well said!

EManT2200

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Leon
Question, as I have never used iTunes and know absolutely nothing about it. If I join and purchase War of the Worlds 1953, can I then download it to my computer and transfer it to a usb drive to plug into my blu-ray player so I can watch it using a home cinema projector ? Thanks in advance !

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Question, as I have never used iTunes and know absolutely nothing about it. If I join and purchase War of the Worlds 1953, can I then download it to my computer and transfer it to a usb drive to plug into my blu-ray player so I can watch it using a home cinema projector ? Thanks in advance !

No. iTunes streams & downloads can only be played back via an authorized Apple device such as an Apple TV. Or you could play it on your PC with iTunes and hook up the PC to your projector (assuming your PC has an HDMI output).

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Now I am just stating why I do not choose to go that route. Doesn't mean anyone else it not free to go the digital route it is the beauty of this hobby. We have so many choices we never had before and the quality just keeps getting better and better so we are actually very spoiled today.

Once you buy a movie or TV show from iTunes, you do not need the internet to watch it. You do own the file and it’s saved on your computer’s hard drive available to you at will.

I have in the past purchased content from iTunes and I have downloaded it to my pc but it will not allow me to stream it from my pc. And I do not plan to get an apple tv just to get content to my ht. That is my choice as it is others choice to get apple tv. I will go as far as saying I am not saying I will never get apple tv but from now and before I just never found it interesting enough to care about. Actually you do not own any digital content from movie, music to books! You own physical media and you can even choose to sell it or leave it to someone in your will. But your digital content is not owned and you can not legally sell it or leave it to someone in a will. What you are actually paying for is a license to listen, watch or download to a device but you actually and honestly do not own any digital content. I am not saying other people shouldn't go the route the want to go it is there choice and there money. And who am I to tell others what to do when that is there choice so do not get me wrong. I also made the choice to only get physical media when I am paying for it to get the best audio video presentation and I am not saying digital is really bad but lets face it there are times that things happen over the long distances this content could travel between the server and you when streaming. And things happen and people loose there jobs out of no fault of there own and people loose there only way to get content over the internet all the time.

Once you “purchase” a film you can download it to your computer or phone or tablets. No internet required other than to download it the first time.

Sure you can if you have a boat load of storage space or do not mind spending money on a NAS with tons of storage space. But to say no internet required is not really true because you need it to down load the content. You need to to continue to add content and if your drive dies you need to to go back and down load it all over again.

We all make choices in how we get our content and even if we choose not to go the route of digital delivery that doesn't always deliver the best quality especially the better lossless tracks. Yes there are more and more newer movies with 7.1 audio and Atmos but there is far more content that doesn't have the newer audio available. I love the artwork that you do not need a display to see the artwork. I love having something physical to have something to show for what I spent my money on. And for now physical disc is better and I have had issues streaming even with a 150 mb/sec upload and download on a fiber optic connection. I do not like the notion I do not actually own what I pay for. I have no problem renting something to check it out and will stream something. I have nothing against having Netflix as that is just a different version of HBO or Showtime you just get to choose what you want anytime you want it. When I get working this Monday and as long as I move from temp to permanent employee I will get my Netflix back. I love my pc but honestly do not want to have a NAS that I will have to keep adding and adding as if I was to buy digital content and continuously download it adding more NAS that also use more and more electricity as the utility companies keep adding more and more fees making it more expensive to have more things running on electricity and also relying on hard drives and internet. Sure I might change my mind and get some digital content in the future but for now it is not something I am interested in. Heck for those who know me and know I may have said I will never own anything from LG. Well I guess one shouldn't say never because I have a LG 43" 4K display and am happy with it. So yes at some point I may end up with paying for digital content but not for the foreseeable future not right now.

In short you can not download it and play it straight from your hard drive or a usb drive from your tv or blu-ray player. You can via apple tv, Mac Mini or iTunes. I have tired it and it doesn't work that way. Have downloaded tv shows from my iTunes account and couldn't steam it from my pc or play it off a usb drive plugged into my blu-ray player!

So how is the new transfer of the original War Of The Worlds. I believe the last time I purchased it was on DVD so not the greatest transfer by today's standards. The visible wire for the martian space craft never bothered me but if that can be fixed with today technology while maintaining a accurate representation of the movie I am all for it.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
So how is the new transfer of the original War Of The Worlds. I believe the last time I purchased it was on DVD so not the greatest transfer by today's standards. The visible wire for the martian space craft never bothered me but if that can be fixed with today technology while maintaining a accurate representation of the movie I am all for it
Have you actually read the prior posts in this thread??:unsure:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I most likely did ready it but with all the posts I read and with what is going on in my life with stressing about getting back to work and a certain person in the house driving me to drink excuse me for forgetting. I seriously doubt anyone here remembers everything they read. Not angry just saying! Was also attempting to get additional feed back from those who have seen the new transfer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks