What's new

WAR OF THE WORLDS ( 1953) fully restored 4K version with extras now on iTunes ! (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Last night I had a chance to rewatch several sections of the HD downloaded file and compared to the 2005 DVD. I even synched both during playback. I can see the differences now more clearly. I get what what you’re saying about how the DVD looks like it’s been brighten up. I could see better resolution of the details like the sand bag fabrics and skin tone color was less overly saturated on the HD file. I wasn’t around in 1953, so I don’t know what the accurate colors are supposed to be, skin tones are different from the DVD and I could see the general’s uniform wasn’t as green. I’m imaging the HD file is more color accurate.

I think I only saw two instances where the wires appeared were not fully removed, they were shots that didn’t linger too long. I imagine it was too difficult to remove in those shots? I didn’t notice those the night before as I just too engrossed in the movie. :)

As I said above, I remember the 2005 release of War of the Worlds was seen as such a great and improved release, this HD release does appear to beat that. When I get a 4K set, I’ll for sure look forward to stream that version and see how it looks.

I always see When Worlds Collide as a companion film to War of the Worlds. Now that I’ve gone down this road of buying the HD edition of War of the Worlds on iTunes, I might do the same with When Worlds Collide. I was also thinking, if it makes Paramount more willing to release these films on Blu Ray, maybe release them as a pair.

I wonder too if this 1950’s period of science fiction films is gaining some respect as I saw the thread about the upcoming release of This Island Earth on Blu Ray. I wasn’t expecting that. Maybe more Wade Williams Collection films are coming?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
This has been a very educational experience and IMO a sad commentary on how accustomed many people are to seeing this type of rainbow compression on streaming movies and not even batting an eye.
I don't know that it's they're accustomed to seeing such compression issues but more like they don't know what they're seeing and that it could be avoided or just don't "see" it at all. Most people don't have that critical an eye when it comes to image quality - just one reason streaming is taking off like it is. I've pointed out such issues to people and they claim to not see what I'm talking about. My eye is drawn to them and they stick out like sore thumbs.

I have a brother-in-law who's a graphic designer. He owns a sign shop. His TV is set to stretch 4:3 images to 16:9. Drives me crazy as he, of all people, should know better. I once demonstrated the difference to him using a circle. He claimed to not see the difference between the 4:3 circle and the 16:9 oval: "Looks the same to me." I gave up. I can guarantee that he'd *never* notice that rainbow compression issue.

I saw the banding in the sky before I read your post describing what it was and though it was an issue with doing a frame grab and posting here. That it's on the original image is rather surprising.

I'm somewhat envious that you have the equipment to be able to create your own reconstruction on physical media. It sounds like something I'd do myself if I had the equipment.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I was also thinking, if it makes Paramount more willing to release these films on Blu Ray, maybe release them as a pair.
I'm not sure if it makes them more willing to release a BD or more confident they don't need to because streaming sales are decent.

I think I only saw two instances where the wires appeared were not fully removed, they were shots that didn’t linger too long.
There were a few instances where it was more difficult to remove the wires because of multiple layers of foreground interference. All in all I think the removal job was quite good.

Sounds like you have quite a project going.
Every time I think I have it nailed down, something on the newest check disc needs some TLC. But I think I've almost got it mastered to the best of my capability.

That said, I hope the day comes I can scrap all my hard work and buy an official release on BD.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
And I'm still trying to figure out how you got a 4K file when it's not available, but the source of that download probably can't be discussed on HTF.
Honestly, I think he's just referring to the iTunes download as "the 4K file" because it's the new transfer. He mentioned the file size being 3.33 or thereabouts which is consistent with the HD download size. As we all know there is absolutely no way to even access the 4K version on a computer. iTunes 4K can only be accessed on a 4K Apple TV device or maybe on one of those new TVs that Apple begrudgingly allowed to have an iTunes app. Even iPads won't stream 4K, only 1080p with HDR.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched the 4K stream when I first bought it months ago and not since then until today. With all this talk, I just had to rewatch it, and I have to say it's just stunning to see. I couldn't be happier to have this in my digital collection. I hung on to my DVD to have the "wires" version. Yes, I admit that after all these years, I was kind of used to seeing them, and some day I'm sure I'll want to see it "with wires" even in a lesser transfer.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
The 1080 download is around 3+GB just to be clear, which is absurd for a movie at 1080 which runs 85 minutes. IMO the 3GB file looked awful when I tried to master it on BD.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Honestly, I think he's just referring to the iTunes download as "the 4K file" because it's the new transfer. He mentioned the file size being 3.33 or thereabouts which is consistent with the HD download size. As we all know there is absolutely no way to even access the 4K version on a computer. iTunes 4K can only be accessed on a 4K Apple TV device or maybe on one of those new TVs that Apple begrudgingly allowed to have an iTunes app. Even iPads won't stream 4K, only 1080p with HDR.
I don't know how it's done, but there is some way of capturing iTunes 4K files. You can find the Bond films on the interwebs in 4K, with file sizes in the 15-20GB range.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I don't know how it's done, but there is some way of capturing iTunes 4K files. You can find the Bond films on the interwebs in 4K, with file sizes in the 15-20GB range.
The 4K file of War of the Worlds I have is around 14GB, which is ridiculous (14GB is what the BD should be at minimum. The 4K should be around 80GB IMO). And that's why I'm having to upscale the 480 in places, to fill in information that simply isn't there. Yes, the source was undoubtedly 4K, but it's been compressed so much for streaming that IMO it's become something less. And for me that is the maddening trade off about exclusive streaming: we will likely never see this apparently beautiful 4K in all its glory. And that is a terrible waste of something precious. Some might even call it a farce.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched the 4K stream when I first bought it months ago and not since then until today. With all this talk, I just had to rewatch it, and I have to say it's just stunning to see. I couldn't be happier to have this in my digital collection. I hung on to my DVD to have the "wires" version. Yes, I admit that after all these years, I was kind of used to seeing them, and some day I'm sure I'll want to see it "with wires" even in a lesser transfer.
Same here. I watched that 4K stream a couple of times.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
This thread got me to watch it, which is what I'm doing right now.

Quick question for those familiar with it - on my Vudu copy there's a quick scene that starts at the 23:21 mark (men in some sort of factory listening to radio). Looking at the men moving in the background it looks like they are moving in slow motion - has it always been like that?

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
This thread got me to watch it, which is what I'm doing right now.

Quick question for those familiar with it - on my Vudu copy there's a quick scene that starts at the 23:21 mark (men in some sort of factory listening to radio). Looking at the men moving in the background it looks like they are moving in slow motion - has it always been like that?
If you're talking about the shot after the two sailors walk by, yes, it has always been slowed down in every version that I have seen. Look at the little confetti strings tied to fan on the ceiling and you can tell it was stretched and slowed, either for mood or maybe because the regular speed shot wasn't long enough for both in and out dissolves.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I always see When Worlds Collide as a companion film to War of the Worlds. Now that I’ve gone down this road of buying the HD edition of War of the Worlds on iTunes, I might do the same with When Worlds Collide

When Worlds Collide is $4.99 on iTunes

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, I’m surprised it’s $4.99. I guess because it doesn’t have any extras or a 4K option like the higher priced War of the Worlds.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I just broke down and picked up the 4K Apple TV 64gb recently and got that up and running. After setting up the Vudu and Movies Anywhere apps on the Apple TV and doing some viewing I can actually say I am happy with the quality. While I still stick with my feeling on digital I will amend my previous comments that I might not ever purchase digital content to sure disc is king in my home theater but I may buy an occasional title here and there.

20190414_112509a.jpg

20190414_122327a.jpg

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I just broke down and picked up the 4K Apple TV 64gb recently and got that up and running. After setting up the Vudu and Movies Anywhere apps on the Apple TV and doing some viewing I can actually say I am happy with the quality. While I still stick with my feeling on digital I will amend my previous comments that I might not ever purchase digital content to sure disc is king in my home theater but I may buy an occasional title here and there.

View attachment 57596
View attachment 57597

We are back to the days of Paying $200 to watch the wrath of khan!
Come on Paramount, give me a break!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation483
Recent bookmarks