What's new

WAR OF THE WORLDS ( 1953) fully restored 4K version with extras now on iTunes ! (1 Viewer)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Wow, cool. Maybe they switched versions. I know they were worried hardcore fans would melt down if the wires were gone. I have a 2K transfer that was done with the hope a theatrical release that has the wires.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Thanks for the heads up. I just bought it and am converting it and mastering to a BD 50 that will have an option to play with wires or without. :)
If you just now bought the 4K iTunes version, what were you working with before?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
You would think they could at least do a MOD with it.

Unfortunate that this movie was chosen to be made an example of (with respect to the idea that this kind of platform is the future).

Wasn't just this movie. Same for Paramount's new 4K restoration of It's A Wonderful Life. And the 4K version of Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan is only available digitally (the same master is utilized on the 2016 Blu-ray release, but it's HD-only, not UHD).

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
If you just now bought the 4K iTunes version, what were you working with before?

I previously bought the 4K and it had the revving at the beginning and scratches (and wires). I ripped it to a data file and watched that, then got fed up last night and edited the rev out and mastered it to a BD. That's why I never knew about the update, because I never watched again from iTunes.

Wasn't just this movie. Same for Paramount's new 4K restoration of It's A Wonderful Life. And the 4K version of Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan is only available digitally (the same master is utilized on the 2016 Blu-ray release, but it's HD-only, not UHD).

The difference is you can get Blu-rays of these 4k versions. War of the Worlds you can't.

Last edited:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I previously bought the 4K and it had the revving at the beginning and scratches (and wires). I ripped it to a data file and watched that, then got fed up last night and edited the rev out and mastered it to a BD. That's why I never knew about the update, because I never watched again from iTunes.
The new 4K version (released in 2018) was the update and the wires were already removed. The previous version you had downloaded (with wires and revving?) had to be the old HD master.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's a Wonderful Life with this latest 4K restoration isn't on disc in any way. The previous Blu-ray releases don't contain this latest transfer. While Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan is out on Blu-ray from that 4K transfer.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
The new 4K version (released in 2018) was the update and the wires were already removed. The previous version you had downloaded (with wires and revving?) had to be the old HD master.
Yes, I agree. I seem to recall there was someone else who posted way back in this thread about getting the same version with the revving. So I don't think I was the only one.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
And the 4K version of Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan is only available digitally (the same master is utilized on the 2016 Blu-ray release, but it's HD-only, not UHD).

Speaking of which, and not to derail the thread, but has anyone actually SEEN the 4K streaming version of WoK? I have the 2016 Blu-ray and have been wondering if it's worth a $20 upgrade.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Speaking of which, and not to derail the thread, but has anyone actually SEEN the 4K streaming version of WoK? I have the 2016 Blu-ray and have been wondering if it's worth a $20 upgrade.
Great question!!!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have it, but haven't watch it yet. I wouldn't pay $20 for that upgrade. I bought it for $9.99 back in December, 2017 and I swear it's been on sale again since then. If I see it go on sale again, I'll let you know. In the meantime, I'll try to sample that 4K digital, but I'm in the midst of watching all of my MCU stuff right now before Endgame comes out in three weeks.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I have it, but haven't watch it yet. I wouldn't pay $20 for that upgrade. I bought it for $9.99 back in December, 2017 and I swear it's been on sale again since then. If I see it go on sale again, I'll let you know. In the meantime, I'll try to sample that 4K digital, but I'm in the midst of watching all of my MCU stuff right now before Endgame comes out in three weeks.

Thanks Robert!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I have. It’s a definite upgrade over the Blu and well worth it but I’d wait for a sale.

I think I paid $9.99.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks