What's new

WAR OF THE WORLDS ( 1953) fully restored 4K version with extras now on iTunes ! (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Well, let me revise that.

With iTunes movie purchases, you can download an encrypted version of the file that will only play on an Apple device. You could in theory burn that data file to a disc as a backup.

But there is no legal method to download a movie from iTunes and then burn that as a playable DVD or BD disc that can play on a standalone player.

EManT2200

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Leon
Has anyone here downloaded the 1080P version, I am wondering if it is this the same as the 4k, with the wires erased, 5.1 surround sound. Is the image much improved over the old dvd ?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Has anyone here downloaded the 1080P version, I am wondering if it is this the same as the 4k, with the wires erased, 5.1 surround sound. Is the image much improved over the old dvd ?
Yes. The 1080p is from the same master as the 4K. And yes it’s much improved.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I can't take it anymore. Tonight I finally dumped my War of the Worlds HD into Premiere Pro and removed that damned revving engine at the beginning. Then I mastered it to Blu-ray. I also have the restored 2K file backed up if I need it.

If you want something done right, sometimes you have to do it yourself.

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I can't take it anymore. Tonight I finally dumped my War of the Worlds HD into Premiere Pro and removed that damned revving engine at the beginning. Then I mastered it to Blu-ray. I also have the restored 2K file backed up if I need it.

Revving engine? Is this something that belongs in the film?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese

I've never been able to do anything with iTunes downloads due to the DRM. Premiere allowed it?

EManT2200

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Leon

Damn, wish I knew how to do this !

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Revving engine? Is this something that belongs in the film?
It wasn't in the VHS or DVD releases, nor is it over the Paramount logo. Further, there is a loud pop between it and the start of the movie. It's possible it was in the original theatrical release, but I doubt it. Either way, it's no longer part of my War of the Worlds experience. Thank God.

I've never been able to do anything with iTunes downloads due to the DRM. Premiere allowed it?
Where there's a will there's a way. I bought a license to watch the movie at home and that's exactly what I'm doing. The only difference is that I'm watching it from a disc now.

There is another HD version that was going to be available as an extra on the disc release, which has the wires removed and the scratches cleaned up, but it looks like sans an official disc release, it will never see the light of day. So sad that this major motion picture, one of the greatest movies of all time, isn't getting a proper HD disc release.

IMO this is a major injustice to the movie and its fans.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks