What's new

WAR OF THE WORLDS ( 1953) fully restored 4K version with extras now on iTunes ! (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Hmmmm It could have been in 4K?

4K Restored & Remastered “War of the Worlds” On iTunes…For Now
Home Theatre Forum fellows have noted that a “restored HD” version of George Pal‘s War of the Worlds (’53) is now streamable on iTunes. It’s said to be a marked improvement over the HD version that’s been streaming since ’11 or thereabouts, especially with the wires that once held up the Martian attack ships now digitally removed.

In fact a Paramount Home Video spokesperson told me today that the HTF guys are actually viewing a 4K version, “remastered and restored over the past year.” She said the new restoration is only being offered in 4K (i.e., not in 1080p HD or SD) and “only digitally for now, starting on iTunes then rolling out to other platforms that offer 4K.”

She said that Amazon “doesn’t offer 4K at this time,” but of course she’s mistaken about that. I’m speaking as a very gratified owner of a beautiful Amazon 4K streaming version of Lawrence of Arabia. Many Amazon customers, I’m sure, would love to stream this new War of the Worlds.

The spokesperson also said there are “no plans” for a 4K or 1080p Bluray release. Physical media…stake through the heart.
Not looking good which is why fans of this fine film might want to consider this HD Digital from iTunes if they have a good internet setup in their HT.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Been waiting a long time for this and When Worlds Collide to be released on blu ray.
Speaking of which, When Worlds Collide is on iTunes in HD for $4.99 too. I think this might be a new listing, as I don't ever recall seeing in on iTunes before and Blu-ray(dot)com's price tracker only has data starting 2 days ago.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So does this mean iTunes will eventually upgrade the file to 4K? Because it's currently only HD. I was planning to watch it this month as part of my Halloween marathon, but maybe I should hold off, if 4K is coming?
I wouldn't wait as it's up to Paramount whether to make the 4K available which might not happened. I think that Paramount representative misspoke about it being 4K that iTunes is showing. I'm thinking that it's 1080p HD digital copy that is derived from a 4K scan. Similar to Blu-ray discs that are derived from 4K scans that Criterion, Kino and Shout! Factory have been releasing lately.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Speaking of which, When Worlds Collide is on iTunes in HD for $4.99 too. I think this might be a new listing, as I don't ever recall seeing in on iTunes before and Blu-ray(dot)com's price tracker only has data starting 2 days ago.
Yup, I bought it a couple of weeks and watch about 30 minutes of if before I had to do an errand and never got back to it. It looked very good.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Hmmmm It could have been in 4K?

4K Restored & Remastered “War of the Worlds” On iTunes…For Now
Home Theatre Forum fellows have noted that a “restored HD” version of George Pal‘s War of the Worlds (’53) is now streamable on iTunes. It’s said to be a marked improvement over the HD version that’s been streaming since ’11 or thereabouts, especially with the wires that once held up the Martian attack ships now digitally removed.

In fact a Paramount Home Video spokesperson told me today that the HTF guys are actually viewing a 4K version, “remastered and restored over the past year.” She said the new restoration is only being offered in 4K (i.e., not in 1080p HD or SD) and “only digitally for now, starting on iTunes then rolling out to other platforms that offer 4K.”

She said that Amazon “doesn’t offer 4K at this time,” but of course she’s mistaken about that. I’m speaking as a very gratified owner of a beautiful Amazon 4K streaming version of Lawrence of Arabia. Many Amazon customers, I’m sure, would love to stream this new War of the Worlds.

The spokesperson also said there are “no plans” for a 4K or 1080p Bluray release. Physical media…stake through the heart.
Again, I think she misspoke as I think this 1080p HD digital version is derived from a recent 4K scan similar to many Blu-rays being released by Criterion, Kino and Shout! Factory. How many times have we've seen the following descriptions from those companies regarding their upcoming or recent Blu-ray releases "Remastered from a New 4K Transfer" or "4K Scan of the Original Camera Negative" or "New 4K Scan"?

Edit: iTunes has updated their HD Digital version to 4K/UHD Digital version. I've confirmed the change just a few minutes ago on my LG OLED.

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I’d be more tempted if paramount was on with movies anywhere.

Is the new print on vudu or amazon?

I’ve never used iTunes for movies. I usually only redeem digital copies that are in my blu ray copies. It is very rare that I watch digital copies that I own. I usually watch the blu ray.
Of course I’ve watched films on Netflix and prime.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I’d be more tempted if paramount was on with movies anywhere.

Is the new print on vudu or amazon?

I’ve never used iTunes for movies. I usually only redeem digital copies that are in my blu ray copies. It is very rare that I watch digital copies that I own. I usually watch the blu ray.
Of course I’ve watched films on Netflix and prime.
Right now, this updated HD version is only on iTunes.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Again, I think she misspoke as I think this 1080p HD digital version is derived from a recent 4K scan similar to many Blu-rays being released by Criterion, Kino and Shout! Factory. How many times have we've seen the following descriptions from those companies regarding their upcoming or recent Blu-ray releases "Remastered from a New 4K Transfer" or "4K Scan of the Original Camera Negative" or "New 4K Scan"?
I was also thinking that is the case with War of the Worlds. It certainly does look magnificent even in HD.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
IMG_5565.PNG
Just noticed on the store page, it wasn't noting yesterday "4K and Dolby Vision". Plus the price went up to 9.99. But it doesn't show a 4K download.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Makes me wonder if the version I saw last night was HD or 4K. It was extraordinary PQ.
iTunes definitely updated the HD Digital to 4K/Dolby Vision between the time I watched it yesterday until today. My LG OLED now indicates Dolby Vision which it didn't yesterday. I watched about ten minutes of it just now and it looks even better and more detailed today than yesterday. On Wednesday, I was playing around with my settings on my Yamaha Receiver and LG OLED as I was taking notes on my viewing so I can confirmed it wasn't in 4K/Dolby Vision yesterday. Hell, I'm in the mood to watch all over again in that format. Probably not today, but I'll finish doing so early tomorrow morning.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well I was wrong, as noted in my previous post, iTunes now has a 4K/Dolby Vision Digital version.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
OK - probably silly questions but I don't use iTunes for movies.

If I buy the iTunes version, can I play it from my PC via iTunes if it's connected to my HT system with HDMI? Or do I need an Apple TV device? If I don't have 4K (I don't), I'll only be accessing the HD version, correct? How about it I hook up my iPad or iPhone to my HT system via a Lightning to HDMI connection?

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
It will automatically play HD if what you are using to watch it is not 4K. On my computer and iPad WOTW will play HD one;y

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I picked up both films

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rekhasharmatdiu
Recent bookmarks